CL 360 'Beastie' Build

Distanceham

Have a log going over on HondaTwins as well. picked up a 1975 CL 360 last spring and have done some work on it to this point in between getting a new job, buying a house and having a baby with my wife. On deck is rebuilding the wheels, cleaning and painting the engine, cleaning carbs and having the seat upholstered. Here are some pics of the bike as I received it, tear down, painting and assembly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 332
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 319
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 310
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 291
Set up in the basement of the new house. Take not of the freshly built workbench courtesy of the leftover hardwood from the floor I payed down in our master bedroom. I've got spokes and nipples boiling in some apple cider vinegar as we speak to take the rust and grime off before painting and reassembly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 308
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 318
Yesterday I simmered/soaked the spokes and nipples in some apple cider vinegar. Didn't get around to doing anything with them last night and ended up with some flash rust. So today I spent some time with the drill, some green scour pads and fine grit sandpaper prepping the spokes for paint. I also soaked the nipples in a slurry of bar keepers friend and water. After a quick rinse, I baked them to rid them of moisture. I should be all set for primer and paint tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    974.6 KB · Views: 307
1 out of 2 Wheels laced with relative ease. Will lace the second tomorrow and decide if I trust myself enough to try and true them up. Will need to touch up more than a few nipples later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 306
2/2 wheels laced. Going to bring the wheels to a small local shop to be trued (I think they are almost dead on) and have the tires mounted and balanced. Off to the basement to strip the tank and side covers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 306
Welp, aircraft stripper and some steel wool made quick work of the gas tank. It uncovered a few spots of rust, but nothing that some light sanding won't take care of. Threw the tank and a side cover on to see about a design I'm toying with. This is where the 'beastie' comes in. Basically a throw to the License to Ill album art. I'm thinking white or off white tank and side covers, a red diamond, normal black and white tank badge, a thick red vertical stripe and a thinner navy blue or black stripe. Design is partially inspired by this Yamaha tank.

Also thinking about a distressed brown leather seat (stock pan, minus 1" of foam shaved down). Grips are undecided yet.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,115
I think that paint combo would be awesome. I don't think I've seen stripes like that on a motorcycle before. Kind of reminds me of the stripes on old Mopars, in that they go perpendicular to the direction of the motion, as opposed to a traditional stripe. Are you going to do the "Honda Boys" logo on the side covers too?

Probably not going to have the 'boys' on there. I am considering putting '360' there on the tank though. The dilemma on the side covers is that they will obviously say 'CL360' on them. Maybe just the red diamond on the side covers.

Either way I think it would look cool! Could you just do CL360 in the diamond for the side covers and Honda on the tank?

Ha. I like it, I was wrenching on the kids 4 wheeler on Sunday with that particular album cranked LOL.

I am guessing you are in your mid 30's to early 40's ???? Cause That album came out when I was 12-13 and I bought it without my folks knowing.

Ha. I was just shy of 3 years old when that album was released, just turned 30 a month ago. I got into them because my dad used to listen to WBCN 104.1 (Boston), an alternative rock station. This of course led me to listening to Howard Stern in the mornings and when his show was over all of the good rock/alt rock of the 90s. I have the majority of the Beastie Boys catalogue, some good music to listen to while running or wrenching.

I think I am going to go honda red diamond on the tank and cl360 red diamond on the side covers. Next question is do I paint the diamonds or get decals?

Little mock up while I play with the seat pan. Pan was cracked and rusty. I've never welded in my life, and my dad is just starting out, so I am letting him play a bit. After the welding, I decided to use the angle grinder to get rid of the rust and paint that was on the seat pan. I'll shoot it in rust inhibitor, prime and paint. I'm going to try and modify the stock foam, and shave it down (take 1-2 inches out of the middle). I'm not sure how much it'll change the look, but I'm hoping it will make the seat look a little less cumbersome.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 285
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 283
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 277
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 299
A little progress to note. Stripped my side covers a la DOT Brake fluid soaking in double bagged freezer bags for roughly 40 hours, shaking and rotating as I saw fit. Should only take a little wet sanding to get them ready for paint.

I've got my gauges disassembled and just painted the cups. Getting ready to order new faces also. I will reassemble with LEDs.

I took apart my turn signals. Stems are a mess with rust and some scratches. I am going to shorten them up an inch and a half to tuck them closer to the frame while still having them be visible. Gonna hit them with a wire wheel, prime and prob paint them black.

Will using a clear lens and amber LED work/ be bright enough?

Also in the process of cleaning, resoldering, and painting my hand controls.

Also on the docket is drilling my pro taper bars so I can run my wires internally.

I posted previously about my wrecked seat pan... Stay tuned for the reveal.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 304
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    795.3 KB · Views: 291
Picked up my freshly trued/mounted/balanced wheels this afternoon. Runout is down to between 0.040 and 0.045 which is about half of Honda's max. They look good, just not a fan of the weights he put on. He said he couldn't get his hands on and lead weights (because of the mercury content he claims) so he used twice as many (half the weight) steel weights. They're shiny, but I might just mask off around them and shoot 'em black.

And because someone might ask.... I'm running Kenda K270 Dual Sports . 100/90 18" on the rear and 2.75 18" on the front.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    749.1 KB · Views: 305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    771.8 KB · Views: 309
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.1 KB · Views: 300
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 287
Trimmed and tucked the stock turn signals. Also picked up some clear lenses for them. Looks pretty sweet next to the new headlight bucket from Brenden over at hondacb360.com. I just need to fish the right hand controls and the bars go back on.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 298
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 304
Distanceham said:
He said he couldn't get his hands on and lead weights (because of the mercury content he claims) so he used twice as many (half the weight) steel weights.
The EPA banned lead weights because of... lead. haha.

Back
Top Bottom