CB450 Hooligan/Tracker/Adventure Bike AKA "Lucille"

So I nixed the single carb idea for now and just rebuilt the stockers. Adjusted the floats, synced, and ready to go. Also tossed some new points on her and reset the gap. Found a broken connector on the left hand coil that I fixed too.

She won't even trying to fire.... The points are perfect, I'm getting spark on both sides, batteries fine.... The only thing I can think to be wrong is the carbs. I set the floats with the credit card tool from Honda twins and the sit right on 20mm...

Any idea as to why the pain in the ass still won't fire?

spray some brake cleaner into the carbs and try to fire her up. that will probably wake her up... if she runs on the brake cleaner your carbs are probably still blocked somewhere by a bit of dirt

Thanks man lemme try that out if she fires up I'll give the carbs another boil with some diluted lemon juice

Never used brake cleaner that way, always had starter fluid laying around.

When you say set the points did you time them or just gap them?

Well, compared to other honda CV carbs these are dead simple. There's not much in the way of things to be clogged and most times they will still run even if they are a little dirty. The floats didn't get stuck closed when you put the bowls back on did they? Happens sometimes.

So I checked the coils and it's the left side! Left hand coil is burnt out

Tossed a coil off of a Harley on there 3ohm single fire awesomeness and it's acting like it has a vacuum leak... These carbs are killing me right now!! I have no idea what is wrong now. Will run only if the choke is on and the throttle doesn't do anything but if you slowly open up the choke it'll rev up.....

Wtf am I doing wrong here?!?!?

The carbs are as clean as they could possibly be and I just rebuilt them with all fresh gaskets. Nothing is sticking.. the only thing wrong inside of the carbs is the floats need to be reset.

Float bowls are pretty small on these carbs, if you have the level set incorrectly they won't fill enough. I'll have to find the link later but you can make a the tool for the floats out of an old credit card. There's a thread on honda twins about it. Time for me to go to work so I'll look in an hour or so.

A tool to measure float height can be made with a credit card, yes...

HOWEVER! The correct float height is measured from the gasket surface (with the gasket removed), not the flange that extends another 2mm or so.

Here's a picture of the card as it needs to be cut with the measurements.

http://s74.photobucket.com/user/jbc2408/media/Udklip_zps124c5b07.jpg.html

Correct area to measure from is the lowered spot circled below. Tool needs to rest evenly in both slots on the carb.

z59t.jpg

Best NOT to set the float with the carb upside down as that depresses the pin spring in the float which can make things about 1mm off. Set them either ON the bike with the bowls removed or setting on the engine intake side with the floats hanging. The needle should just close as the tool touches the carb body.

I GOT HER RUNNING!!! The points were shorting out on the cover!!! :mad:

But now I need a new motor... Trans is slipping in first and second gear bfjs);$-high?,)high?)h? AGHHH

So I'm pawning some shit for a small loan and I'm getting some vm's and a fresh motor... Also getting a solo seat and p pad and some other small details like a front drum brake and new throttle, levers, headlight, taillight, and tires.

Never giving up!!

Here's some shots I took of her this morning

Ps. Any vapers out there?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 290
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 271
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 285
We'll I guess the forum just want to F with me haha enjoy the upside down photos cause it won't let me fix em lol

that's actually an very nice bike you've got there, love the paint on the tank in combination with that rusted dent. gives the bike some history

What do you mean slipping? Like jumping out of gear or the clutch slipping? What type of oil did you put in it?

i cant remember the exact brand/kind of oil but its whatever was stamped on the top of the top dip stick

and its jumping out of gear... 3,4,5 gear are fine but 1 and 2 jump back to neutral and before they do the bike sputters and revs high...

could it be the clutch?

Back
Top Bottom