Holy cr*p it's a 1976 Honda CXRL650R street-tracking dirt-jumper! (and beer)...

osteoderm said:
BEER! Plagrone, if you don't care for Saison, this here will turn your stomach: 2012 Mikkeller Spontan Noble. Belgian sour lambic-style ale, brewed with Botrytis grape fungus and aged in Sauternes barrels. ;)

Having not had more than a couple saisons from local breweries and my opinion being based upon that, I went to the store and tried Ommegang Hennepin Saison. Me and the lady downed a sixer with ease. It was delicious. Very well rounded beer with the kind of unique flavor that you keep sipping to try and figure out. You may now claim that this thread has broadened horizons.

plagrone said:
Having not had more than a couple saisons from local breweries and my opinion being based upon that, I went to the store and tried Ommegang Hennepin Saison. Me and the lady downed a sixer with ease. It was delicious. Very well rounded beer with the kind of unique flavor that you keep sipping to try and figure out. You may now claim that this thread has broadened horizons.

Ommegang makes some good ones. Try their Three Philosophers; it's a trad Belgian Quad blended with a touch of cherry Kriek. Overall a nice mellow introduction to the Lambic side of beer.

osteoderm said:
IMG_20140616_192138.jpg

so thanks to you and your awesome-ness, I had to try this beer. my verdict: eh. it was alright. not bad. just not my "go to" beer. I like "hefe" beers. franziskaner weissbier is a good one.

keep on rockin with your build. gives me the courage to hack away at my heap.

namelesspenguin said:
so thanks to you and your awesome-ness, I had to try this beer. my verdict: eh. it was alright. not bad. just not my "go to" beer. I like "hefe" beers. franziskaner weissbier is a good one.

keep on rockin with your build. gives me the courage to hack away at my heap.

Wheat based beers have always been a favorite of mine. Franziskaner is ok, Paulaner or Erdinger are better IMO. kaner makes a good Helles though. If you can find a wheat based Saison I bet you would like it, tastes like a spicy cirtusy bread sandwich.

I still think my all time favorite was an Oatmeal Stout I made last year. Swear to god it was super sweet and had a great mouth feel like eating a bowl of oatmeal with sugar all over it and chasing it with a cup of coffee. Its on my list again to make soon as it starts to cool off.

plagrone said:
Oh yea, I love Three Philosophers

Ommegangs almost my house beer...live about an hour away.

Subscribed for the beer and the bike. Hopefully trading my son's 90 for my brother's XL600.

Sooo... where were we? Oh yeah, beer seat composite beer carbon beer fiber...

Forward end of the seatpan now has this neat little carbon slot that will clip into the rear tank support:

IMG_20140702_161245.jpg

Towards the back of the pan is a small section of carbon/kevlar tube, cut and split to cradle the subframe rear crosspiece

IMG_20140702_161251.jpg

IMG_20140702_161237.jpg

The composite tube section is anchored in epoxy putty and a layer of unidirectional carbon laminate. The carbon fibers have been aligned in the the direction of maximum speed and awesomeness. The whole works makes for a snap fit onto the subframe. I'd have more to say about this, but the hour is late, the beer is drunk, and the head is leaden.

Late to the party, just signing up.. I missed this somehow but I'm totally onboard. I plan to do this in a few months so very interested...I caught up and will be catching up on the beers momentarily...

A day off work and a hurricane brushes past town... no riding today, but my head is clear of beer enough for a morning of ruination in the shop.

2014-07-04 10.07.57.jpg

Seatpan snapped onto the frame with the tank in place to check the "flow". It'll stay just like this until I can afford foam/upholstery; on to other things!

2014-07-04 09.07.20.jpg

The bike came to me with a little rash on the left-hand cam cover. Now I know how "chix dig scars" and all that, but even my own low standards won't let me ignore this one.

2014-07-04 09.31.27.jpg

Half an hour with a couple files and a scrap of wet/dry sandpaper, and it's back up at an acceptable level of crappiness.

2014-07-04 10.03.40.jpg

Had to do the right-hand side too, on account of symmetrical aerodynamics OCD. That and, unlike the timeless Honda logos on the sidecovers, the RFVC script is rendered in an unfortunate modern font that I'll be happy to see banished from the bike.

Aaaaaaaaand a hefeweizen to round out the post:

IMG_20140629_193237.jpg

Can these Quebecers do no wrong? Another winner from Brasserie Dieu de Ciel!

Ah, I have had that one before. Good beer, had it in Quebec City too in a little gastro pub that paired beers and food and both were great.

The bike is looking good too.

racerdave said:
Derm,Derm,Derm. But that RFVC looks so sexy!

Maybe, but since the original '76 CL600R didn't have it, neither will this homage. It's all about the authenticity, people!

Sorry about the recent lack of bike and/or beer pics folks... Somebody gave me this as a birthday gift awhile ago, and progress has been slowed on several fronts!

2014-07-17 18.13.14.jpg

This summer has been so busy with Golden Plastic Chopper Wheelie Monuments and The Other Bike that progress on the Honda has slowed. Also, there has been beer.

2014-07-19 19.04.57.jpg

A local beer merchant gifted me this one. Spontaneously-fermented oak-barrel aged Lambic Gueuze. Day-am. Good stuff, but not for beginners. An advanced beer for certain. I had to calm myself down afterwards with this one:

2014-07-21 20.22.25.jpg

You know that Hues is a beast if a medium-dark sour apricot growler is a mellow chaser. Well, it mellowed me anyways. It also mellowed my self-restraint to the point where I snagged one of these:

2014-07-25 19.37.11.jpg

Not sure where all this rambling and reckless purchasing is taking me. Time will tell...

Back
Top Bottom