Seat suspension styles

Schmeck750

If you can't buy it, build it.
For those who ride hardtails what suspension do you use for your solo seats. For those who use it ;D
There's the scissor springs, regular coil springs and then the shock types. Some run these dual or single .
I'm not expecting awesome results but what are you alls experiences with seat springs. What's springy, what's stiff, what's better what's worse and weight differences too.

What springs are better with forward controls vs mid controls.
Need the advice from guys more experienced then myself.

Thanks 8)

I used two "rock shocks" and had to replace the stock springs for a lower spring rates. Collectively they were 600lbs for and inch deflection, now they are 310lbs for and inch deflection.

IMGP0189.jpg

While I don't have practical experience, I am working on a rigid project myself. I'd suggest traditional springs will be 'bouncier' as they have no dampening properties like a hydraulic shock would.

Monster Craftsman has a good selection of stuff, including springs, hydraulic kits and also an air-ride system. You have to look around the site a bit as they're not all collected under the 'seats' section.

www.monstercraftsman.com

Okay kool thanks . I was looking at the dual shocks as I don't want to sit on a rock. I also have a springer front end and so don't want any real bounce ontop of what I already will have .

I have run standard 3" coil springs on two bikes and soon to be a third. As long as they're installed properly, they work just fine for me (195lbs). A little bouncy on rough terrain, but you'll have that on a hardtail.

Schmeck whatever method you choose you need to calculate the inertial forces based on your body weight to prevent bottoming if a large enough bump is encountered. I weigh 185 lbs so the 310 lb spring rates prevent frequent bottoming over normal road conditions.

Yeah I was talking to the guy doing my frame work and he agreed on the standard coil springs . I'm 185-190lbs. I was told 2" standard up down springs would work and wouldn't be so bouncy. The roads by me are very crappy and the only smooth highway is full of traffic all the time . So if I get something that has a lot of bounce to it then I'll likely be ejected from the seat ! I'll have to do some testing to see what's good for me , everyone has different feels for what they like ;D

Btw cqyqte that is a nice bike you have there !!!

Anyone got any personal experiences with the bitwell slimline seats?
Whats a good seat for a good price?
What are you guys running for solo seats?

Road King police solo and riding mower springs. On a strut equipped 1988 HD bagger. Works fine, rider weight is 280 or so. At 235 pounds, works fine for me as well.

Friend's bike, and he popped one of the shocks. So we threw some temporary struts on it. Followed by the police seat and mower springs. Had to make it work, it is his daily vehicle.

I normally use 5 inch barrel springs under K model spec solo seats on my rigids.

I actually ended up buying a solo seat with a huge lip from a guy in Canada . He does a pretty good job. Pictures of it are on my project post along with the new looking bike .

Back
Top Bottom