New member looking for a new project/advice/guidance in the UK

mattbarber660

Hi all,

I'm Matt, 24 from Milton Keynes in the UK.

I'm fairly new to the world of motorbikes, had a little 175cc in NZ that I used to get around that was pretty fun. I'm now back home in the UK and am looking for a project to do in my spare time that will hopefully leave me with a fun commuter to do the 10 mile round trip to work every day and also improve my understanding of basic mechanics. I really like the look of the flat trackers, the clean, stripped back style is right up my street!

A few questions to start off with;

Which bikes would be a good starting point for me? (125cc is the biggest you can ride on a learner license here in the UK)

I'm looking at some older Honda CB/SL/CL/CG's and Yamaha DT's on eBay

What tools would be a good starting point?

I work in construction and a do some basic work on my car (1987 BMW 3series) so I have things like socket sets, drills etc.

Anyway, any help and advice is welcome!

Welcome aboard mate :) long way to come for bad weather haha ;D only kiddin , plenty of idea's n such on this site :p use wot info ya get ??? take a leg pull now n then ya will get em ;) not sure if ya can't have a 250cc so long as its restricted to 33BHP heard its easy to do like large plastic washers fitted to carbs/ inlets .Whatever style ya gonna get some spanner time and puttin ya own mark on it wiv colour and pegs n bars so ya don,t always need a complete bike to start ya project cos ya mite change bars seat etc but try to get a running motor saves heartache later :'( having a multi meter for testing ya leccy stuff is a good idea 8) a good supply of WD40 for those stubborn fixings most bikes ya mentioned are all metric screws nuts n bolts lot of lads use impact drivers for rusty fixings i tend to drill out bad ones idea of hammering a impact driver on a motor thats mostly alloy don't sound a good thing so a good choice of spares screws etc and loctite is worth it save ya bits ya take off sell on when ya dont need em cos ya project is done just incase ya need em could rattle on for pages mate but stay tuned fella :p here if ya need Q & A's ::)

Back
Top Bottom