** Warning - Brake Cleaner - Warning **

Damn, that sucks/is really good to know. I'll definitely quite making aerosol flames throwers with brake cleaner.

pablohoney said:
I'll definitely quite making aerosol flames throwers with brake cleaner.

It's the non-flammable chlorinated brake cleaner that is the culprit. Just a few drops of that stuff exposed to high heat or combustion will KILL YOU.

Chlorine gas will ruin your day.

Edit: Wow, read the article. That Phosgene sounds like a nasty motherfucker. Glad that dude's alive.

That's insane. Poor dude...I can't believe that got all those illnesses off such a small dose. Definitely a good heads up, thanks for posting.

But does that make my Non-chlorinated brake cleaner version any better? (don't have a can handy to look at) I usually only buy the non-chlorinated stuff because for some reason it reminded me of mustard gas...

MotorbikeBruno said:
But does that make my Non-chlorinated brake cleaner version any better?

The non-chlorinated cleaners are MUCH safer. Less toxic, but they can be a fire hazard. The whole idea of the chlorinated cleaners is that they are safer from a fire safety standpoint, but MUCH more toxic. The toxicity if exposed to flame or high temperature is extreme, as in chemical-weapon-kill-you-with-very-small-dose toxic.

Thanks for the heads up. Glad my brain told me to get the non-chlorinated stuff just because I think anything with chlorine is probably bad for your lungs...heh. I'll let my buddies know for sure.

i read about this before..i printed it and have it on my welders just so i do not forget it as i use brake cleaners to clean parts sometimes.. that is why mech's and body men have short life spans--a lot of dangerous chemicals.
it is good to be reminded how dangerous this stuff is- take precautions and remember it will catch up to you sooner or later if you do not!
hope the guy recovered ok after time....
joe

Re: Re: ** Warning - Brake Cleaner - Warning **

pablohoney said:
Damn, that sucks/is really good to know. I'll definitely quite making aerosol flames throwers with brake cleaner.
+1

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Acetone is one of the less dangerous chemicals that we handle.

Read the MSDS:
mfc.engr.arizona.edu/safety/MSDS%20FOLDER/Acetone.pdf

It's is a fire hazard, and high concentrations of vapros are harmful. Just use common sense.

Back
Top Bottom