Jacket Break In?

SONICJK

Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
Well I'v had motorcycle jackets for a while all already broken in because i buy them used. Good system.
I scored one off ebay the other day though and its really nice and vintage and all that jazz but it looks like its barely ever been worn. So its stiff and tight etc.

So i figured theres probably some jacket gurus on here.....
Wear it, i know thats the best option and I will, but in the mean time what should i do to break it in as much as possible?
Leather conditioner?
Dryer with some shoes?
Get it wet and wear it?
Crumple it 1000 times?

Any genius insight here?

Oil that jacket sir. I like to clean leather with saddle soap and then treat with mink oil or neatsfoot oil (buy the latter at a tack shop, they'll rake you over the coals for that stuff at a shoe or leather place).

Thanks Richypoo
I've got saddle soap and mink oil for:
you guessed it
my saddles

Maybe ill give it a go.

Keep 'em coming!

Ha ha ha

Looking online I see that you can get neatsfoot oil even cheaper if someone brings it to your house - but you know as well as anyone, I'd wager, that having a tack shop locally can be a big deal and I'd rather pay the extra couple of bucks to have a place to bring my boots and get made fun of.

I live 10 min from shelbyville tn, home of the worlds largest horse show. Tennessee walking horses go for upwards of a quarter mil around here, so yeah I know all about tack stores hahaha.

...and I could give a shit if Tandy stays open or not

SONICJK said:
I live 10 min from shelbyville tn, home of the worlds largest horse show. Tennessee walking horses go for upwards of a quarter mil around here, so yeah I know all about tack stores hahaha.

Morgans or GTFO

Yup tn walkers blow I wouldn't give 50 bucks for one. I'm a quarter horse fan myself. Although my two favorite horses have been a retired race thoroughbred and an Arabian. Both complete assholes but a blast.

axeugene27 said:
oil it ,put a bowling ball in it, and put it under your mattress and sleep on it for a week
Hmmm that sounds....comfortable

It feels better already after wearing it half the day. Sure I look like a douche wearing my motorcycle jacket everywhere I go, and inside, and on the couch, and rolling around in the grass for good measure. But hey, who has two thumbs and gives no fucks?
This guy
4B7C7E38-0048-44B2-A68A-842173398944-8104-00001541E848B3C9_zps39ecd550.jpg

I was taught that when you buy a new, used, old jacket you need to put it on and then go into the backyard and throw yourself to the ground and roll around aggressively. Because if you don't you run the risk of your ride tossing you off and introducing you to the ground at high-speed when you least expect it!!!!! :eek: :eek: Just Saying!!!

cqyqte said:
I was taught that when you buy a new, used, old jacket you need to put it on and then go into the backyard and throw yourself to the ground and roll around aggressively. Because if you don't you run the risk of your ride tossing you off and introducing you to the ground at high-speed when you least expect it!!!!! :eek: :eek: Just Saying!!!

Thats not the logic I used, but been there done that amigo.

I find that about 18 beers (at least two of which are spilled directly onto the coat) and few nights sleeping in said jacket on a concrete garage floor do the trick. Also, a copious amount of hangover sweat the morning after (while riding in 90deg temps) does wonders.

VonYinzer said:
I find that about 18 beers (at least two of which are spilled directly onto the coat) and few nights sleeping in said jacket on a concrete garage floor do the trick. Also, a copious amount of hangover sweat the morning after (while riding in 90deg temps) does wonders.
Sounds like a tuesday.

I actually wouldn't mink oil a jacket. It really softens leather; a bit too much for a protective jacket, IMHO. Wouldn't use any animal-oil based product.

Sno-seal works great for maintenance in my experience, though, once you've had the jacket a while. Beeswaxed-based and seemed to help keep the top-coating on the Vanson leather in good shape.

For break-in, just wear it! If you must, get it wet, then wear it. Sweat (or beer?) help too, per Yinzer.

I've been wearing it non stop all weekend and its getting better. Still a little stiff, and it's certainly a vintage motorcycle jacket haha it's meant to be worn on a bike and not much else, there's not really enough material under the arms to lift my arms above riding height hahaha.
I need to go toss in in a busy intersection to get the new off it 8)

Back
Top Bottom