1980 Yamaha XS850 (Copper and Wood Build?)

czwalbert

Picking up my third build in two weeks, First Yamaha. The others were hondas '78, '80, & '81 CB400's.

This one my brother wants to do with me so were thinking of doing it a little different.
Since were Carpenter and Plumber by trade. We wanted to build this one using Wood and Copper.

If anyone has any experience with this we'd love to hear how your build went.
and pictures

I'm sure ill be here a lot asking advice
thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• yamaha xz850.jpg
    yamaha xz850.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 806
Sounds like a cool idea man.. do it up. Copper can look great when integrated in a bike build properly

Copper can certainly look the part when used in a well executed combination.
You should check out FGkouki's rad CB750 "Woody"

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41449.180

just one small idea, I have seen a british chopper a long time ago that the owner couldn't afford new brake lines so he used copper lines coiled round the forks to connect the m/cyl to the calipers and also replicate the look of external fork springs. he claimed there was no metal fatigue from compression due to the 'spring' effect of the coils
dunno if it would last forever but maybe worth a try

have also seen an early GSXR with a real wooden coffin tank complete with handles etc, it was actually a cover over a smaller steel fuel cell

it would also be possible to make wheel infills to fill in the gaps between the solid spokes or discs (between the hub and rim) to cover over the spokes from thin plywood

points/clutch cover from a slice of tree branch/trunk turned to fit the cases

bit faker but bondo over a set of bars to look like a tree branch (with suitable paint of course)

also another brit chopper was bamboo/panda themed and had rings of steel welded at regular intervals along every round piece of frame/bars etc, then bondo'd up and painted so the entire frame looked like it was made from bamboo poles, the tank and bodywork were covered in hundreds of used matches sanded smooth after application and clear coated. it then had murals of pandas and such over that

use a small wooden barrel as the fuel tank

thankyou for reading this far, I do have some silly ideas sometimes and this has been several of them

spotty said:
just one small idea, I have seen a british chopper a long time ago that the owner couldn't afford new brake lines so he used copper lines coiled round the forks to connect the m/cyl to the calipers and also replicate the look of external fork springs. he claimed there was no metal fatigue from compression due to the 'spring' effect of the coils
dunno if it would last forever but maybe worth a try

have also seen an early GSXR with a real wooden coffin tank complete with handles etc, it was actually a cover over a smaller steel fuel cell

it would also be possible to make wheel infills to fill in the gaps between the solid spokes or discs (between the hub and rim) to cover over the spokes from thin plywood

points/clutch cover from a slice of tree branch/trunk turned to fit the cases

bit faker but bondo over a set of bars to look like a tree branch (with suitable paint of course)

also another brit chopper was bamboo/panda themed and had rings of steel welded at regular intervals along every round piece of frame/bars etc, then bondo'd up and painted so the entire frame looked like it was made from bamboo poles, the tank and bodywork were covered in hundreds of used matches sanded smooth after application and clear coated. it then had murals of pandas and such over that

use a small wooden barrel as the fuel tank

thankyou for reading this far, I do have some silly ideas sometimes and this has been several of them
Haha!! Awesome ideas thanks maybe a wiskey barrel for tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using DO THE TON mobile app

Bootsey said:
Copper can certainly look the part when used in a well executed combination.
You should check out FGkouki's rad CB750 "Woody"

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41449.180
Thank you that is a beautiful bike

There she is naked... got the tank, carbs,and airbox, ect. off... was surprised at how clean they all were after sitting for 9 years (Outside!)

Tempted to put it back together and give it a crank ....but I wont.

she will definitely need gone through.... every damn thing need wd-40 and elbow grease.

Once it all works I'll start the copper wood project.

Attachments

• 1487900227480.jpg
    1487900227480.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 272
Good luck with the build lads! Lovely bikes these triples. You will inevitably encounter more things like that stuck spark plug as you get deeper and deeper into it. But that's all part of the charm of an old bike! ;D

Back
Top Bottom