My First 1974 cb450: Tabasco! [SOLD! "FIGHTER" THREAD UP!]

Re: My First 1974 cb450: Cafe Project!

Try cleaning up the ground on the frame. Pull the bolt out and use some sandpaper to clean it up. Mine still was bare metal on the frame but the terminal needed cleaning. My stuff turned on after that.

Sounds like you hooked it up right, but you do not need to turn the car on. In fact, it would be better if you didn't.

CThor is right. Your next step would be to make sure the main grounding wire to the frame is working correctly. Then start checking all the other ground wires. They are usually the first to go. Get yourself a good wiring diagram and a multimeter. If you want to go cheap, I think I got mine from radiohack for about $10.

Wiring problems are usually easy to fix. The hard part is figuring out what is wrong. Think of it as a puzzle you have to solve. Just don't get discouraged.

I've been busy with school to work on the bike, along with waiting for my multimeter to come in. I'm so tempted to buy a battery right now but I need to wait for my next paycheck :(.

Does anyone know where to find a good battery less than $50? I found a replacement battery by Power Max for my bike for $45 shipped. Other than that I might get a 12A-A DieHard battery from Sears.

goodfornothing said:
I've been busy with school to work on the bike, along with waiting for my multimeter to come in. I'm so tempted to buy a battery right now but I need to wait for my next paycheck :(.

Does anyone know where to find a good battery less than $50? I found a replacement battery by Power Max for my bike for $45 shipped. Other than that I might get a 12A-A DieHard battery from Sears.

check your local advanced auto, i bought my battery from them and it was around $35 total and i did not have to wait for it, you do have to charge the battery yourself though, aka add the acid unless it is a sealed battery

if you are wanting to go to a smaller battery and still use the electric leg on occasion, than an 8 ah battery is the lowest i would go from what i read whilst searching for a battery

the battery i got from advanced auto was an autocraft 12n9-4b-1 battery

I can't find the one I was planning on getting now online, but it is similar to this one except a little smaller and 10.5 amp instead of 12. I found it locally as a Batteries Plus store if you have that around where you live. I think they are made more power chairs. It is $35 at the store.

http://www.advancedbattery.com/itemdesc~product~12v+12.0ah+f2;+power-sonic+ps-12120+f2~ic~12v12t2pc~eq~~tp~.htm

:eek: Haven't updated my thread for a week! Well I made some progress! I'd like to thank Flugtechnik for all his support as I was PMing him for advice.

The first day I was finally about to work on the bike was a few days after I got it. I had free time after class and decided to remove some parts. I took out the seat, which was mounted on ghetto-like from the previous owner, however it works :). Then I removed the air filters, battery box, and rear view mirrors.

This guy was hard to remove.
StubbortRightMirror.jpg

I needed more leverage so I found something to use as a breaker bar. It was a long pole, but it made the removal so much easier.
IMG_3443.jpg

Just  a few stuff removed put on the floor. (First Day Progress lol)
IMG_3444.jpg

And this is how it sat after the first day of working on it. I tried charging the old battery using my car battery, but no luck.
IMG_3446.jpg

So for the past few of days, I got my multimeter from the mail that I ordered on ebay. Works pretty good. Next thing I did was check all the wires to make sure they were working and had a closed circuit. The first thing I bought for the bike was a new battery.
NewBattery.jpg

The past few days have been pretty much trial and error. Even with the new battery the bike wasn't getting any power. I found that the fuse was broken so I bought a replacement from my auto store. I replaced the fuse and with my fingers crossed I turned the key. But still nothing. I thought there was an issue with the ignition switch but I checked the continuity last night. Turns out that the ignition switch functions properly.

Well this afternoon while trying to open up the starter, I noticed there was something wrong with the wiring of my bike looking at the Clymer and Glenn schematic. The two prongs of the starter solenoid looked like this:
IMG_3458.jpg

I finally caught on that the bike wasn't getting any power because the red wire/terminal was not on the same prong as one of the other red wires/terminal that attaches to the battery. It was an "A-HA!" moment. I hastily switched the connections to this:
PositiveTerminalInstalledCorrectly.jpg

And voila! I turned the key and the lights went on. I'VE GOT THE POWA! I literally screamed "Yes!" in my garage and honked the horn more than necessary.  :D
Electricalsystemworks2.jpg

Electrically, the bike works well. Lights, horn, and even the starter works! I'm glad that the bike turns over. This bike was too good of a deal. If the previous owner had known the fault, the bike would have been a little more! What a difference! The only thing that I need to figure out is that the neutral indicator light does not go on, nor do the high beams work. I opened up the right handle bar controls and I think it has to do with something missing or not functioning properly in there. Also the taillight does not flash/illuminate any brighter when I squeeze or press on the brake. I noticed that the electric starter works even when the Kill Switch is set to off. Is that supposed to happen, just that there won't be any spark?

Glad to hear you found your electrical problem... ;D

I think thats right, the starter will work either way just no spark. I've been trying to find out why I'm not getting any spark on mine. I checked my kill switch and it is working properly but still no spark.

goodfornothing said:
And voila! I turned the key and the lights went on. I'VE GOT THE POWA! I literally screamed "Yes!" in my garage and honked the horn more than necessary. :D

Electrically, the bike works well. Lights, horn, and even the starter works! I'm glad that the bike turns over. This bike was too good of a deal. If the previous owner had known the fault, the bike would have been a little more! What a difference! The only thing that I need to figure out is that the neutral indicator light does not go on, nor do the high beams work. I opened up the right handle bar controls and I think it has to do with something missing or not functioning properly in there. Also the taillight does not flash/illuminate any brighter when I squeeze or press on the brake. I noticed that the electric starter works even when the Kill Switch is set to off. Is that supposed to happen, just that there won't be any spark?

Sweet. I'm glad it's working. If you were able to figure that crazyness out, the other problems shouldn't be too hard. Yes, the starter still works even with the kill switch off. More than once I have sat there trying to start my bike only to realize I left the kill switch off.

Derek4Real3 said:
wooot Mountain dew mountain bike ironic ;D

Haha it makes it even that much more appropriate!

I'm going to cash in my check tomorrow, so that means I will be ordering a rebuild kit for my petcock (I find myself giggling at this word for some strange reason) and ordering some Por-15 for my tank. Does anyone know where to get this locally? I'm in SoCal. Harbor freight is having a mad sale too, so I'm going to spend some money on tools :)! So along with cleaning out my tank, that'll give me time to study the wiring harness more and the chance to clean out my carbs. New spark plugs will be on the list as well.

I'm not sure if I want to get clubmans or clip-ons. Anyone have any pictures of clip-ons on their bikes?

as far as the high beam goes check the fuse for the light first, then check the bulb before you start chasing wires.

jason teamshralp said:
as far as the high beam goes check the fuse for the light first, then check the bulb before you start chasing wires.

I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the switch because my light won't even shut off. I don't feel any sort of click when I slide the light switch over to high beams.

How much Por-15 do I need for my tank? Would 8oz be enough or do I need a pint or more?

goodfornothing said:
I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the switch because my light won't even shut off. I don't feel any sort of click when I slide the light switch over to high beams.

How much Por-15 do I need for my tank? Would 8oz be enough or do I need a pint or more?

As long as the key is in the ignition and the ignition is on the headlight should be on, you'll just switch it between high and low. My high/low is the same way, it's permanently on high (or maybe low, now that I think of it)...

I ordered Por-15, a petcock rebuild, and won 07 YZF R6 Complete rearsets on eBay. Not sure if it'll work on my bike but I'll try to make it work with your guys' advice :).

Turns out my plugs are getting a spark! I accidentally shocked myself the first time though. Actually, this is the first time I've been shocked by something. Hopefully my bike runs when I clean the carbs out and restore my tank. I want to get it running before I start tearing more stuff down.

Quick question: Do I need to drain the Oil before removing the case/cover where the chain is hooked up to the transmission?

Are you talking about the cover where the clutch cable goes into? If so, no you don't have to drain the oil.

Hey you have any luck with your electrical issues?

goodfornothing said:

You should be able to turn the headlight off on a '74 CB450. At least mine has an "off" position. There's a stop at the low beam position. From there you move the switch downward past the stop then all the way to the left.

CC

Low beam:

DSC01147.jpg

Off:

DSC01146.jpg

CCRider,
That's exactly what mine looks like. However, It won't turn off nor will the high beams go on. Do you have a picture of that switch opened up? I might have a missing bracket inside or something, and I can use your picture as a reference.

Thanks!

goodfornothing said:
CCRider,
That's exactly what mine looks like. However, It won't turn off nor will the high beams go on. Do you have a picture of that switch opened up? I might have a missing bracket inside or something, and I can use your picture as a reference.

Thanks!

I'll get you a pic.

Also, in an earlier post you mentioned a missing seat latch. I've got one that I cut off of my project if you want it.

CC

goodfornothing said:
CCRider,

Thanks!

OK, here's the pix. When I opened up the switch, I remembered that I had the same high beam problem with mine. The cause was that the PO had installed a mounting screw that was too long and blocked the switch lever from moving to the high position (I bet you've got the same problem)

CC

Off position:

DSC01173.jpg

Low position:

DSC01176.jpg

High position. You can see how a too long screw will block the switch lever:

DSC01175.jpg

And FYI the seat latch:

DSC01177.jpg

Back
Top Bottom