The "I deconstructed my fingers real quick" thread WARNING: Gore Pics

Gives me an excuse to buy better levers and master cylinder for the Virago, which doesn't really need them at the moment because all i have been doing is keeping it clean and starting it every other day.

Getting the stitches removed next week and hopefully I will be given clearance to drive again so I can get back to work. Then I need to improve the movement in my fingers and grip strength and I will be back on the bike!

Re: The "I deconstructed my fingers real quick" thread WARNING: Gore Pics

Had the stitches removed yesterday and was given clearance to return to work provided I do not use my right hand...

Work is cheering to have me back as we have a bit of a skilled staff shortage at the moment.

2cbb241eb38e14c007d63703bbfc888e.jpg

45e7549eaaadfd9925108c36cf3f4ff0.jpg
7b98215ecc5029c8ec50257fb73a02bf.jpg

Had a nursing student remove the stitches so that was a unique and painful experience. Overall it looks like it is healing really well. Not long until I can ride again. I have another check up next week with hand therapy so more pics then.

I know you're sickof it all but go careful on the getting movement back, my broken finger (3 months today since I did it) is still giving me shit, if I try to get the movement back too quickly it stretches the tendons and it won't go straight again so back in the splint it goes. slowly does it otherwise permanent damage will be your lifelong companion (apart from the missing bits damage that is, they ain't growing back)

+1 my broken pinky on my left hand from my deer crash is 2 years in and just getting to the working right stage. Had one minor setback in a drunken tumble down a wet grassy hill though that made it take a little longer

Maritime said:
+1 my broken pinky on my left hand from my deer crash is 2 years in and just getting to the working right stage. Had one minor setback in a drunken tumble down a wet grassy hill though that made it take a little longer

what were you doing riding a deer in the first place ?

Had another appointment today and it looks like everything is healing nicely. We moved on to doing a few exercises to try and get movement back in my fingers. One of them included dipping my hand into hot paraffin wax several times to get heat into my hand to help with mmovement. That was an odd experience.

I am back at work now but cannot get my hand wet or lift anything heavy. Being that I work in a milk factory that is a good portion of my work.

Redbird said:
You build Cows?!
Yep, I wouldn't say it is my cream job but it pays the bills. Not much I can do at work udder then stand at a filler and watch it spin around. But you have got to moo what you have got to moo.

Brodie said:
Had another appointment today and it looks like everything is healing nicely. We moved on to doing a few exercises to try and get movement back in my fingers. One of them included dipping my hand into hot paraffin wax several times to get heat into my hand to help with movement. That was an odd experience.

Before they did surgery on my hand they had me try some physical therapy that included the hot paraffin thing. You're right it's odd. I did find it rather soothing, though. The therapist wanted to order one of the things for me so I could use it at home. I declined the offer but now I wish I hadn't. There have been several times since then that I'd love to have it for the other hand (not "fixed" yet) and I think it could be really soothing to the feet.

Brodie said:
Yep, I wouldn't say it is my cream job but it pays the bills. Not much I can do at work udder then stand at a filler and watch it spin around. But you have got to moo what you have got to moo.

Boy, you are really milking this finger thing :)

spotty said:
I know you're sickof it all but go careful on the getting movement back, my broken finger (3 months today since I did it) is still giving me shit, if I try to get the movement back too quickly it stretches the tendons and it won't go straight again so back in the splint it goes. slowly does it otherwise permanent damage will be your lifelong companion (apart from the missing bits damage that is, they ain't growing back)

Make sure you do physio, it helped me when I lost the tip of a finger.

I feel for ya, I know how painful fingertips injuries can be. In the mid 70's I crashed a widow maker H2 500. I had scraps everywhere, fronts of my knees, backs of my knees, hips , ankles. The most painful were the finger tips that got ripped open, filled with road grim, and then covered back up.
Bad part of that was I had gone to my parents house late the evening and borrowed my younger brother full face helmet. After the crash I had to walk about a mile to a friends house for meds. I carried the helmet by the chin bar with my fingers bleeding "UP' the face shield. After the wreck on my way home to my house I dropped the helmet back off at the folks house. I was pretty marked up from partying the whole night and had no idea what the helmet looked like when I dropped it off. The next day I showed up at the folks house to find them frantic because they had n been able to get ahold of my brother who owned the helmet. Sober now, I looked at the helmet to see that was actually scraped up pretty badly with blood running up the shield. Folks were not very happy with me, but glad to see their baby boy (my brother) wasn't dead or mangled.

Thanks mate. The broken nerve ends are the thing that makes it so bad. You touch something and it is numb in one spot and super sensitive in another. All the scar tissue is hindering full movement of my pinky and middle fingers but we will get there.

That is a bloody good story. How did the bike end up after the stack?

So I have not updated the thread in a while as there was not much to say. I have been doing what physio I can and will be working on strengthening exercises this week. The scabs on my ring finger is nearly healed and I am getting a fair bit of movement back. Circulation doesn't seem to be great as when ever I have it unwrapped it is cold and purple. See what hand therapy has to say on Tuesday.
5a339c59b15d10538da58377bfc336c6.jpg

9a07eb694efe034e70688301358c0251.jpg

Brodie said:
Thanks mate. The broken nerve ends are the thing that makes it so bad. You touch something and it is numb in one spot and super sensitive in another. All the scar tissue is hindering full movement of my pinky and middle fingers but we will get there.

That is a bloody good story. How did the bike end up after the stack?

So I have not updated the thread in a while as there was not much to say. I have been doing what physio I can and will be working on strengthening exercises this week. The scabs on my ring finger is nearly healed and I am getting a fair bit of movement back. Circulation doesn't seem to be great as when ever I have it unwrapped it is cold and purple. See what hand therapy has to say on Tuesday.
5a339c59b15d10538da58377bfc336c6.jpg

9a07eb694efe034e70688301358c0251.jpg
The bike was totaled and ended up disappearing and an insurance claim was filed. The motor ended up in my go kart, which was wildly more fun than the bike was.

Scar tissue sucks! Do everything possible to keep it stretched or soft or whatever. My sawcut scar keeps my thumb from curving back like it used to. Hopefully you'll adjust to the numbness soon, I don't notice it anymore until I rub my thumb.

Back
Top Bottom