CB360 project

Splitting the case isn't a big deal.
Before I had accident an back got messed up I could do a runner to crank out and back to runner in less than 12hrs (about 6~7 yrs ago :( )

Thanks PJ. I've been doing a decent amount of reading up on it (enough that my fiance is sick of me reading about "motorcycle stuff") and the more I learn the easier it seems. I'm being sure to be extra organized as well. I have pictures and everything I've taken off so far is in marked ziploc bags. I'm eager to get the oil filter wrench so I can get back to it!

I'm going to make sure to check everything I can while I have it open. I did check my oil filter and didn't see much metal in there, so that's good I guess! Any certain things I should give a good look over while I have it apart? I was thinking of:
  • checking the clutch disc wear
  • give the case a good cleaning, because I'm sure there is a good bit of metal floating around in there.
  • upgrade to a CJ360 oil pickup
  • drill holes in the clutch center. Is that something I need a drill press for or can I just put it in a bench vise and do with a hand drill?
  • make sure nothing else looks extra worn

When you split the case, make one of these:

70efc499b8e29e80ccae9ee7d0ac1d22.jpg

Makes it easy to keep track of which bolt goes where and you won't have to think about it later.

Well, I've been going back and forth for the past year about if I want to do a full resto-mod or just tackle things bit by bit. Since I have the engine out, I decided I want to go for it! Some words of wisdom from a friend helped me make the decision as well. So today I stripped the entire bike down to the frame. I bagged everything small and layed out the rest. The only thing I didnt remove was the triple-tree. I want to do a little reading up on that first because I know there are bearings in there and I want to make sure I do it right. I have never stripped anything like this down so far so I must say this was EXTREMELY satisfying. I was very meticulous with labeling wire connections and parts so I feel confident I'll be able to get it back together without too much trouble. I'm sure a couple things will pop up though. ::)

I also made progress on the engine. I got all the left side bits off. that includes covers, sprocket, and stator rotor. I don't have an electric start so all the bits for that were already gone. Its amazing how simple the left case is when all that electric starter junk is out. ;D

CB360-stripped-down.jpg

You can get new tapered steering stem bearings to replace the old steel ball/race setup. www.allballsracing.com

If you don't want to go that route, be very careful when removing the stem not to lose any of the steel balls, the bottom ones will tend to fall out when you drop the lower triple.

Lots of great info in this post:

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/51-frame-suspension-steering/9742-cb360-suspension-refurb-planning-execution-pictorial-3.html#post101413

Thanks adventurco! I see they have wheel bearings there as well. would they be a good company to get all of that from? (steering stem bearings, front wheel bearings, and rear wheel bearings)

I wouldn't bother with the clutch discs, just fit heavy duty springs and it will be better than stock
Also do the clutch hub oil hole mods while it's apart to increase oil flow through clutch, helps keep it cooler and cleaner (although oil gets dirty quicker but centrifugal filter will separate il from clutch 'dust')

Thanks I'll shop around for the bearings.

PJ, I was planning on doing the clutch hub modification. Do I need to be precise with those? or will some clean holes with a hand drill, in the 2-3-2-3 pattern suffice? seems like that should do the trick and I shouldn't need a drill press or anything "fancy" like that, right?

Hand drill is fine, just be a little careful not to go off centre (British spelling ;) 8) )

I got my oil filter tool today, so, since I had some time, I tore into the engine some more and found a few things.

1. The kickstart mechanism seems pretty worn and doesn't seem to be disengaging completely if I rotate the shaft clockwise till it stops. The teeth and bracket seem worn and the shaft seems to have a wear mark the whole way around it from the gear. The problem is, I dont know what the issue is that would be causing this. I would appreciate suggestions. In the meantime, I think I'll be looking to order replacement parts.

worn-kickstart-shaft.JPG

worn-kickstart-gear.JPG

worn-kickstart-stop.JPG

2. The cam chain tensioner and guide seemed to be warped. You can see the difference between the new (left) and old (right)

worn-cam-chain-guide.JPG

warped-cam-chain-tensioner.JPG

3. I got the head off and got a look at the pistons and valves. Everything is caked in carbon except one exhaust valve, which is burnt crispy. So, it looks like I'll be doing some cleaning and get a valve job once I find a good machinist near me.

right-piston-carbon.JPG

right-cylinder-valves-burnt.JPG

Kickstart parts are worn because it wasn't disengaging. They should still work OK though
There should be a kinda lug that goes behind the shaped metal piece to disengage things.
Probably someone didn't assemble it properly, there should be punch marks for alignment
Carbon build up seems about normal, hone and new rings things will be fine. Valve that isn't 'damp' was probably set too tight, wasn't a rocker arm showing wear in one of the pics?

Thanks PJ. I'll be sure to assemble it correctly when I put it back together. I checked the rocker arms and none seemed to have abnormal wear so I bagged and tagged them.

I was able to work for a couple more hours today...

I read somewhere that you can check the cylinders for abnormal wear by seeing if you can wiggle the piston when it's at tdc. I was able to move both of them about 1mm but I don't think I'm going to use that as a sign that they're worn. I'll take some measurements when I can get my hands on the right tools. Here's a video of the movement:

https://youtu.be/7DwejNFjCXY

Once I got down to the crankshaft, I noticed that one of the holes in the bearing to the left of the cam chain had a good bit of metal inside it. this worries me. I'm really not sure what could have caused this, but it needs to be fixed. I guess I'm going to have to take the crankshaft apart or something. I'm really not sure. I'd greatly appreciate some suggestions on this one.

Crankshaft-metal-shavings.jpg

I got everything taken off the lower and upper crankcase except for a few head studs that are soaking in PB blaster over night. Hopefully they'll be more willing to part with their home tomorrow. I also need to get a valve spring compressor to finish breaking down the head. I rented one from autozone today but it didn't work (bushing popper style), so I think I need to find the C-clamp kind instead. I was thinking of getting the one in the link below but I'm open to suggestions since I'm new to this!

http://smile.amazon.com/Motorcycle-valve-spring-compressor-tool/dp/B00MHTJU5S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1434855311&sr=1-4&keywords=motorcycle+valve+spring+compressor

Made some more progress today.

Engine:
I was able to finally get the last head stud out of the block after sitting in PB for a day. So now all engine parts are ready for cleaning and powder with the exception of the head. I'm waiting on the valve spring compressor to finish that piece. I also started looking for crankshafts online and have decided that I may just buy a new (used) crankshaft because they're only about $30.

Wheels:
I ordered a set of Buchanan spokes from DCC. They don't advertise a set for the CB360 but I cross-referenced part numbers and sizes and found that the CB400 has the same spokes, so I ordered their CB400 front and rear spokes. This inspired me to start taking the wheels apart today. I got the brakes off and was able to get the bearing retainers out fairly easily. I just drilled out the punches slightly and used an old screwdriver and hammer to spin the bearing retainers loose. After reading all the horror stories, I was slightly worried, but it went very smoothly. Now I just need to remove the tires and de-lace the wheel. Then the wheel parts will be ready for cleaning, powder, and reassembly. I'm going with black rims and hubs with stainless spokes. I've always loved that look.

My All Balls rear wheel bearings came in the mail today so I was inspired to get some work done. I went to a local shop to have the tires unmounted but wanted $25 per wheel so I decided I'd give it a go myself. I bought a set of motion pro tire spoons at another shop for $10. When I got home this evening I gave it a shot. Started with the rear wheel and boy, was that rough. After about 30 minutes of muscle, I finally honed my technique and got the tire off!! Victory! Then, since I had figured out a technique, the front tire took about 5 minutes. My word of advice is to use lots of soapy water. Get both sides of the tire good and covered before you start prying. After the rims are refinished I'm going to have to find some plastic to put between the wheel and spoon so I don't scratch them up! I just have to remove the spokes and bearings from the wheels and they will be fully disassembled and ready for powder!

87de8250892bac4ebc385b1635b3f907.jpg

I was able to get the wheels, forks, and triple tree disassembled. I also did some organization so I know all the parts that need prepped for paint/powder. The forks went smoothly with an impact driver to get the bottom bolt out and a lever to pry the seals out.

746e8e69e499daec1bfb063e0b6c3e4e.jpg

656bb6048332560d2cf5efcaf4dc92b5.jpg

645b60296038589e3f32ac9d7c2ab856.jpg

I also bought a sheet metal brake from harbor freight so I could make an electronics tray. I even found some scrap metal in my basement to practice with! This is my first attempt at fabrication. I'm sure the tray will go through multiple iterations.

c182f7902b3eba050505b5bb444053fe.jpg

49ccbd7d332d3d3fa6ca0e13e80824b3.jpg

558be3fcd4ad4db0d954ca606a491ea4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piston 'play' video is meaningless, the top of piston is always around 0.75mm~1.00 smaller than cylinder bore at room temp.
Is that the location hole in bearing?
there are at least 2 holes, one locates the other is oil feed
No need to strip crank, just wash out the bits you can see, should be possible to wash out bearings, get a gallon of diesel fuel for cleaning (no chance of anything rusting plus it's got all sorts of detergents/preservatives

Back
Top Bottom