question for machinists

coated with a 1/2" boring bar. I was watching the tool deflect and just polish the inside.

doc_rot said:
coated with a 1/2" boring bar. I was watching the tool deflect and just polish the inside.

Good result with the grinding doc.
Just had a look at that holder you tagged, never thought about cutting bolts down like it shows, great idea.

doc_rot said:
The problem I ran into is as the cut progresses the grinding stone wore down producing a slight taper in the bore. It was a little tricky but I got a pretty good fit. If I was going to do this more frequently I would make something like this https://m.ebay.com/itm/The-ORIGINAL-Dremel-tool-holder-frame-metal-lathe-1-2-in-sq-shank-/361520655374?nav=SEARCH

Should have had a couple more stones on hand and just roughed out close to size first then changed stone to get better finish and parallel. It stones wore too fast due to depth of hole, just go so far ten finish with new stone.

Pete12 said:
Good result with the grinding doc.
Just had a look at that holder you tagged, never thought about cutting bolts down like it shows, great idea.

It's real handy for 'parting off' tough / hard materials
Put a cheap 4"~4.5"Chinese diamond wheel on angle grinder to 'do' Titanium or HSS ;)
You only need a piece of heavy duty angle iron with some holes to hold angle grinder (and a bunch of washers / spacers to get it on centre)

Back
Top Bottom