3DogNate's 1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R Resoration

grandpaul said:
Don't forget to have him mic check the crankshaft and rods as well...

Indeed...

Have you ever had a crank balanced in one of these? If so was it worth it to loose a bit of vibration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whenever you have a SIGNIFICANT change to a crank, perhaps a half-ounce or more, you should re-balance.

If a crank is ground to the next undersize, rebalance (static, at least; dynamic is preferred)

If you have to drill out a dimple from the crank cheek in order to extract the sump plug, you'll probably want to re-balance it, although it wouldn't be critical. Local shop here does a dynamic for $85.

The Triumph Tech Night took place at Garry's place tonight, and took advantage of the speciality tools available. The motor is now broken down and ready to clean and rebuild. The transmission gears were gorgeous and there's no significant wear to make note of. She should rebuild nicely. I've got a little bit of prep to do and hopefully will get the head and cylinder off to the machinist next week or so... I'm gonna get the head, rocker boxes and cases vapor blasted... So maybe the head needs come back from that before the machinist.

And as a bonus here's a couple of Garry's bikes and his '64 project that's wrapping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those rod small ends show classic overheating combined with low/old oil flow.

My guess is the sludge tube will be significantly full...

(your buddy has some nice bikes)

A small update.... I finally got beyond my short honey-do list and got out to George's place and got the main bearing and misc bearings removed from the engine cases last night. we also opened up the crank and pulled the sludge tube. It was a little over half full so you called it Grandpaul.

I need to pull the rockers from the rocker boxes and get stuff out to vapor blasting and machining. I have a free Wed night which is rare... I might actually be able to finish prepping stuff drop of for blasting tomorrow even. :)

Need to get my rebuild parts ordered too...

Okay... Lots been happening for me the last few months... Getting back on the Triumph project... I'm getting better things together to put the engine back together. Tonight I got the rocker boxes cleaned up.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

trek97 said:
Seen this?

http://chambana.craigslist.org/mcy/5575485268.html

Indeed! She still looks good too... He did a handlebar swap and not anything else I can pick out... She's a solid and good running bike.

3DogNate said:
Indeed! She still looks good too... He did a handlebar swap and not anything else I can pick out... She's a solid and good running bike.

Ha I didnt even realize the bar swap.

Did a soda blast of the head and got it ready for the machinist. There was some black gasket sealant gook all over it stuff was impervious to solvents and soda blasting. Had to scrape it off and blast off the residue...

Cylinder is next.... I ordered a replacement gun for my blasting cabinet to get it back in shape. Once I get that cleaned up off to the machinist they go... Then I'll get onto reassembly of the motor. I have a nice assortment of bearings, seals and gaskets ready to go...

I'm not 100% happy with how my motor parts look... I might send them out for vapor blasting.... anyone got a recommendation for a place to send them off to?

3DogNate said:
I'm not 100% happy with how my motor parts look... I might send them out for vapor blasting.... anyone got a recommendation for a place to send them off to?
They look quite nice to me; however, vapor blasting can't be beat.

grandpaul said:
They look quite nice to me; however, vapor blasting can't be beat.

Right... they are passable, but I'm spending so friggin' much already and doing so well with the build up to now... I might as well go the extra mile and try to not just shoot for a "nice" resto... but rather shoot for "drool worthy".

I don't want dingy looking castings. The rocker boxes I could probably leave be but the head and cases are still more dingy than I'd like. And having the side covers vapor blasted too will make polishing on them go way faster if I'm not working against that dark 47 year old oxidation.

So... castings are out for Vapor Blasting... Hardware is out for Cad Plating... Have a round of parts inbound... Tank and Fenders are going out for paint next week. While the plating and vapor blasting is out getting done I'm going to work on my Honda's top end and see if I can get that thing working again and sort out my oil issue (No oil getting to the left side of the motor...

grandpaul said:
Sounds like a simple case of a plugged oil gallery...
If it was plugged... It blew out super easy. Passages are clear now. I'm working on the top end now, luckily I have a donor and have pretty much everything on hand I need. Gonna drain it and make sure the oil filter is clean. I have several other things I'm doing to it too.

So with parts gone and taking a break from the little Honda. I polished up the first engine cover. Bling!

2nd cover done...

Back
Top Bottom