CB500T Cafe Build

My other hobby, last post today, hopefully some more progress soon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 436
OK, I'm going to finish my current project first, but super pumped about the next one. '51 T100 frame and '55 T110 motor with what I think is a 750 top end and the rare SU carb. Been gathering parts for like 15 years...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    704.5 KB · Views: 396
Got some goodies and made a little more progress.

Finally ordered my caliper, but in order to get the right clearance I need to build a spacer between the disk and hub. About 6mm is required to make the disk center in the caliper. The caliper does not float. I am going to machine down an old disk carrier I have laying around. Also got the master cylinder (11mm Brembo with a brake light switch) and measured up the line length I need.

Built the headlight bracket and mounted it up, also knocked out the blue lens on the Bates style light and added a mini toggle switch to operate the headlight. Going for a clean bar look and should only have one small button for the horn and no other crap aside from clutch, throttle and brake.

Maybe I went crazy, but I could not resist the Motogadget tiny speedo! Also, got the rest of the stuff to wire the bike up, including a combo regulator/rectifier and the 4 cell antigravity battery. Next step will be to make a place to house this stuff along with the electronic ignition module.

Last, I think I found a muffler that will work and I am going to run a 2 into one using this Kerker k series. It is rough, but ima going to clean it up, re-pack it and shoot it black with the rest of the exhaust. Oh, and my rear sets are on, just need to trim the plates to make them look nice and get the rear brake working.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 417
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 429
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 407
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 400
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 411
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 414
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 417
Long time, but I have found time to keep some progress

Wiring harness is built and I ran a test- so far so good. Need to get the engine back in and running before I do the final wrapping. Here is a shot of some of the wiring, under seat tray and the Motogadget tiny (bracket is rough and needs final shaping).

Also had a spacer made to get the necessary clearance for the AP caliper and mounted the motogadget sensor. Just need to add juice to the system!

Attachments

• IMG_0249.JPG
    IMG_0249.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    864.8 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_0308.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0227.JPG
    IMG_0227.JPG
    761.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_0206.JPG
    IMG_0206.JPG
    917.8 KB · Views: 387
I also, got this sent up from my parents house. I have had this since I was a kid. Cleaned up the carb, gapped the points, set the valves and fresh gas. She runs like a top!

This build may be a record for the slowest ever :D, but I made some more progress. Got the seat and now I need to modify it a bit to sit on the bike correctly. Also going to fab up some mounts. The seat will be 3/4 inch foam. After this I hope to put the engine back in the frame finish up the exhaust and make motor noises befor tearing it down to paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 363
2 of the 4 mounts in place on the seat, also got the front section widened to cover the frame properly. Man that resin is some strong stuff the whole house smells now!

Attachments

• IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 360
More work in between all the home improvement projects the Mrs. has me doing ::)
Tail light mount built and installed. Seat mounts braised to the frame, seat base and foam ready for cover. Now to sand and paint all my parts and start going back together with this thing!

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 348
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 344
More paint, my house smells like a body shop. Reminds me of my youth working with my dad!

The tail is a close match to the original Honda "glory brown" on the gas tank, you can't see it in this light. I plan to stripe it like the tank with some gold pinstripes.

Think I am going to farm out the seat covering.

Next step is to double check motor - valve clearances, timing, etc as it has been almost 6 years since I put this thing together. Little more pre lube and back together with this thing!

Will still need to finish up the 2 into 1 collector on the exhaust, but motor noses coming soon!

Attachments

• IMG_0434.JPG
    IMG_0434.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 322
Can you show more photos of your electronics tray, how you fitted it and how you fabricated it?

Looks good man, also, why did you choose to braze weld the rearset mounts instead of TiG welding it ?

Electronics tray is sheet metal I bent up using a vise and some hand tools. Then I riveted the corners together nonthing fancy, but functional. I used existing frame parts to run some screws through for mounting.

Here is a photo that shows the tray well. I have since center sunk the screw holes and finished sanded it and put some paint on it.

I braze cuz all I got is an Oxy rig, no mig or tig. I could have used RG45 and done a "proper" weld, but I had brass in stock and this should hold fine.

Attachments

• IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    968.2 KB · Views: 330
Back
Top Bottom