1980 CB250n from Australia

Anthiron

Hello from Down under Australia.

I am new to DTT and thought I would start a build thread for my current bike.

It is a 1980 CB250n (A model marketed as "Super Dream" in some other countries)

Quite an ugly bike in stock form as you can see. The below picture if not my actual bike but is a stock CB250n in the same colour scheme.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I can't take credit for the seat and the rear-sets. They were on the bike when I purchased it. I will be changing the rear-sets though as there are some things I do not like about them. The seat is a fibreglass shop bought item which I will be keeping.

When I purchased the bike a couple of weeks ago it looked like this.

Not a bad effort but as you can see the stock gauge cluster is ugly as hell, the headlight and indicators had been mounted with a strange and ugly triangle of alloy. The good part is the solid unmolested engine with a genuine 7500kms traveled and proof of service history to back this up. All origional paperwork and books came with the bike as well as the stock seat, cowl, indicators etc in perfect condition.

I made a 5 minute Mock up in PS of what I wanted the bike to roughly look like.

First thing was the get the bike Mod Plated for a single seat conversion (Australian motor law is much more strict than USA) this also gives me cheaper insurance and registration costs. I picked up the bike on Saturday morning and had it mod plated, registered and insured by midday on the Monday 8)

After a good shake down ride two things became evident.

- Engine needed a good tune and carbs needed balancing.
- Brakes needed attention (Back brake basically does nothing)

I had to leave town for 2 weeks on the wednesday so I did some online shopping whilst I was away ;D.

I came home to:

- Chrome Steel Clipons
- Black bar end mirrors
- New brake pads
- New rear brake shoes
- New Barrel grips
- Mini Chrome Speedo
- Mini Chrome Tacho
- Headlight mounts

And got stuck into adjusting valve clearances and setting up the carbs.

Once I had the bike running well and even on both cylinders (Carbs were way out and all of the intake valves were set too tight) I got stuck into stripping the bars and switch gear for the clip-ons.

All of the wiring trimmed and labelled.

Top Yoke off

Mocking up the new bars and gauges.

The new setup

Please excuse my messy garage, I have far too many projects on the go in there!

I origionally had the headlight lower but it revealed too much of a gap and looked a little off. I was lucky that the Stauchions were in great condition under the upper covers (Which were quite rusty).

A shot of the bike outside.

Before I did this.......

All off to the Panel shop to be done in hi gloss black 8)

More plans for the bike are.

- Fiddle with the rear-sets to get more leverage onto the rear drum brake.
- Polish the engine covers and clean up the engine as best I can. Not sure I can be bothered take the engine out of the frame as then I might be tempted to strip the frame and powder coat it.....
- Mock up a seat cushion to be upholstered in black leather.
- Replace the Motad Muffler (which has a scrape on it) with a Stainless reverse Megaphone.
- Keep an eye out for a CB400n Wreck that I can steal the forks and front brakes from. (400 had a twin disk front)

Anyway I am back out at work now for another 2 weeks so Checking out the DTT forum will have to satisfy me untill I can get home in time to put the bike back together for Greasefest 2013!

Nicko

Panel Shop Owner just uploaded these to his Business facebook page.

Looking good!

These will be going onto the tank. They are CNC cut and use a 3m Outdoor adhesive.

Awesome work by Kunda Park Smash.

Great work there mate.. :) I've got one in the shed too that I haven't done much with over the last few years which I plan to finish off soon now that life has settled down and I have more time to do something.

Check my post [urlhttp://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=9733.msg95795#msg95795][/url]

Would you have a picture of the exhaust I like the style from what I can see.

Cheers

Noz

Hi Noz

I will have to check out your thread tomorrow. My crappy internet isnt loading your pictures currently.

my exhaust is one of these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motad-Exhaust-system-to-fit-Honda-CB250-N-CB250N-1978-1983-/400514729768?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item5d4089c728

I will be chopping off the muffler at the collector and fitting a reverse megaphone.

The exhaust is not very loud at all but has a nice note in higher rpm's.

Nicko

Hey Nicko,

I think my post is too old (2009)....LOL and the pictures might be deleted I'll see if I can find some pictures (not on my current computer) and repost.

I have been re-inspired with my recent "tree change" and will try and finish her off by summer. Not much is needed only a coat of paint, tyres & a master cylinder.

Cheers

Noz

Think I have seen this bike before, are you a scr member. Anyways welcome to DTT mate. This site helped me out astronomically and I'm sure if you have any dramas the motorcycle knowledge on this site will be second to none.

Hi Deepwaterimports.

Excuse my ignorance but what is SCR? I assume a Sunshine Coast bike club?

Nicko

Hey Nicko,

I just removed the cover and took a pic of my girl.

Cheers

Noz

Attachments

• CB250N Cafe Racer (Medium).jpg
    CB250N Cafe Racer (Medium).jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 9,332
Anthiron said:
Hi Deepwaterimports.

Excuse my ignorance but what is SCR? I assume a Sunshine Coast bike club?

Nicko

sorry mate sydney cafe racers was what i was refering to i say a bike very similar on there facebook page.

http://www.australiancaferacers.com/

Ah ok. No wasn't me. I am about 11 hours North of Sydney.

In other news. Stainless brake line for the front disc is on its way from the UK.

Nicko

NOZ69R said:
Hey Nicko,

I just removed the cover and took a pic of my girl.

Cheers

Noz

Cheers For the pic mate.

That looks really Clean. What are you plans for the bike? Are you going to run side covers?
I like your rear-sets. Any info on what you did there and where you got them from? I have a universal set somewhere in a box that I may swap for my current setup.

Anthiron said:
Cheers For the pic mate.

That looks really Clean. What are you plans for the bike? Are you going to run side covers?
I like your rear-sets. Any info on what you did there and where you got them from? I have a universal set somewhere in a box that I may swap for my current setup.

The plans are to paint & ride...LOL. Leaving the side covers off. RE: Rear Sets - I cant remember what bike they come off too long ago got them from a wrecker. I still have to tidy up the mounting brackets.

Cheers

well I arrived home from work and promtly removed the back wheel to fit a new rear tyre. (The old tyre had some cracks in the sidewalk that I wasn't too fussed on)

Dropped into the spray painters in the morning to collect my shiny black things. :)

Got about this far before I realised I had left the grommets for the side panel mounts in the tank when I dropped the parts off......they were no longer in there.

After about half an hour of searching the panel shop he found the grommets and we were in business!

I think it has turned out rather great and I am very happy with the paint job.

It's a long shot as I know most people here are in the USA but I would highly reccomend Kunda Park Smash on the Sunshine Coast Australia.

Nicko

Thanks Kieferocks. The Ute is great for buying Un-reg bikes and transporting the Dirtbike on my weeks off. Fast as hell too! :)

Not sure what to do with the exhaust currently.

I want to use the current header setup and fit a stainless megaphone however it is going to be difficult to set it up to clear the foot controls on that side of the bike.
Once I located the universal rearsets I have in a box somewhere (I put them in a very safe place.....) I might be able to get around this. For now the stock muffler will have to suffice.

Nicko

I am at the point of buying tyres for my 250n, what did you end up putting on yours and what sizes ???

Thanks
Graham

Hi The rear is a Pirelli City Demon. I cant remember how wide. Can't remember what is on the front either. I will have a look when I get home on Wednesday.

Nick

Anthiron said:
Hi The rear is a Pirelli City Demon. I cant remember how wide. Can't remember what is on the front either. I will have a look when I get home on Wednesday.

Nick

Great wheels mate I have two on my 200.

Thanks for posting this thread mate, I'm in Newcastle NSW and have just picked up this little bad boy for $1000. Have got a few plans for it including unbolting that ugly rear end, getting a new seat fitted with the pod at the rear end like yours, as well as pinching a few ideas off your pictures. Remove the air box and get pod filters in there and sort out the tank. Is your tank stock or did you source something from elsewhere? I'm thinking the original might be too long.
Cheers, Joe.

Attachments

• IMAG0384.jpg
    IMAG0384.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
Nice to see another Aussie build! The gloss black looks real classy, although the red didn't look that bad to begin with.

How'd you go with rego?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom