'74 CB360 cafe project - (New clutch springs and back to analog gauges.)

Re: '74 CB360 cafe project (On to the Frame)

Well I have the motor mostly complete. Still need to install points and set the tappets. I'll probably do that and then set it aside. (I hope I have the cam installed correctly. I followed the service manual. Seems like it is still possible to be 180 degrees out though.)
IMAG0462.jpg
IMAG0461-1.jpg

Re: '74 CB360 cafe project (de-funking stage)

Not possible. The cam only rotates once for every two revolutions of the engine or only half a turn for every full turn of the engine, if you prefer. And so at TDC sometimes it'll be lobes up and sometimes it'll be lobes down; every other rotation. The only thing to really worry about is being off a tooth. That's pretty easy to do.

'74 CB360 cafe project - Engine Almost Complete.

Good to know I did not screw up the cam install...

On another good note... My carbs got back to me from CrazyPJ today... Turns out that my carbs were the guinea pigs for his last mods he posted... Said they performed nicely on his test mule. They were in bad shape... Filthy, needed diaphragms, rebuild kits.. "Nasty" he called em.

Got the garage half sorted out from the engine aftermath... I'll finish that up and chill for a couple days and decide on how much to take off the hoop and if I am gonna have a round hoop fabbed up or deal with the stock one... I think I can still make a nice looking bump with the stock hoop.

But having a single tube size all the way around looks sweet.

Re: '74 CB360 cafe project - Engine Almost Complete.

engine turned out great looking.

Re: '74 CB360 cafe project - Engine Almost Complete.

Well... I got out in the garage last night and looked real hard at the frame and measured and took the reciprocating saw to the frame and chopped the last 4 inches or so off the frame tube. I ordred a loop from DTT's CafeGoose, figured that's probably the most efficient way to get the loop done. I don't know anyone around here that can bend one up for me.

Re: '74 CB360 cafe project - Working on the frame now.

Borrowed a buddy's bending brake and bent up an electrioncs pan.Tomorrow I'll try to resurrect any welding skills I might have and weld it to the frame.

IMAG0464.jpg

I got the electronics tray welded in today. No awards for skill... but it's solid and functional.

IMAG0465.jpg

'74 CB360 cafe project - Working on the frame now.

Got a few minutes in to drill the brake rotor.

IMAG0467.jpg

Automatic punch chucked int the drill press is great for marking drill holes...
IMAG0468.jpg

IMAG0469.jpg

'74 CB360 cafe project - Working on the frame now.

My new loop came today and I got it cut down and welded... Need to finish smoothing out the welds after dinner... Starving... Laterz.

IMAG0470.jpg

You need to drill a series of holes between the ones you have or you will end up with wear ridges

crazypj said:
You need to drill a series of holes between the ones you have or you will end up with wear ridges

You mean like so?

1.png

Yup. You may want to remove a few sets and go for wider spacing though. You don't want to take too much metal out of the rotor.

Yep, make sure the holes 'overlap' very slightly on the 2 hole series.
maybe move one 'in' and one 'out' slightly?
Can you draw it with radial lines through hole centers?

crazypj said:
Yep, make sure the holes 'overlap' very slightly on the 2 hole series.
maybe move one 'in' and one 'out' slightly?
Can you draw it with radial lines through hole centers?

How about if I loose a pair of doubles every other set? Here's lines throught eh centers... I think it should do the trick. maybe?
2.png

That looks pretty good, do it ;D

Got the loop sorted out. Looking good!!! need to make a tray to mount a battery holder on. I want to go to a smaller sealed battery that I can mount under the bump. Any suggestions without spending a fortune? I am planning on keeping the electric starter...

IMAG0475.jpg

I got the rear tray where I'm gonna mount the battery

IMAG0482-1.jpg

So I'm kinda a newbie to bike modification, so forgive me if this is kinda a stupid question, but all the welding and grinding on the frame, do you worry about the heat taking strength away from the frame? Is there some way I'm unaware of to keep the metal tempered just right?

Also how did you prep the metal between the fins on the engine for paint? I got mine clean with a steel brush but I don't know that I'd say they're clean enough for paint.

Inkblot88 said:
So I'm kinda a newbie to bike modification, so forgive me if this is kinda a stupid question, but all the welding and grinding on the frame, do you worry about the heat taking strength away from the frame? Is there some way I'm unaware of to keep the metal tempered just right?
Not much.... really the plate and tray I added surely add more strength than I took away. Plus anything after the shock just has to support the weight of the seat and battery.... and with plates and thicker loop installed torsional forces shoud be squat... I'm pretty confident that I have a stronger frame than I started with. I'm still under 200 pounds on a bad day so I'm not killing it.

Inkblot88 said:
Also how did you prep the metal between the fins on the engine for paint? I got mine clean with a steel brush but I don't know that I'd say they're clean enough for paint.

I prepped by using Mar-Hyde aircraft stripper to strip off paint (my jugs were painted.) Which also does a decent job degreasing. But after that I scrubbed it down with some degreaser and a brush. Then took a homemade soda blaster to it. (http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/ ) primed and painted...

Back
Top Bottom