1972 CL 350 Cafe Project

I'm currently changing out the front bearings and having a hell of a time removing the oil seal. Does anyone have any input? How do I get it out?

Rgrpfdr1 said:
I'm currently changing out the front bearings and having a hell of a time removing the oil seal. Does anyone have any input? How do I get it out?
Bang the fuck out of it from the other side!

Bearings are out of the front. Bought a nifty bearing tool that worked good. When it got here in the mail, I tore it open and used it immediately! Started on the forks, which have a bit of rust.

I know I haven't posted any pics, but I have been taking them. When I get time I'll load 'em to Photobucket

Can anyone help with a little advice? I disassembled the front brakes, took the brake arm assembly off and cleaned the front hub and parts. Now, I've reassembled everything up to re-attaching the brake arm assembly, which doesn't want to go on. Anyone have any pointers on getting it back onto the two studs?

Is the axle a little loose? That and both bolts on the brake stay should both be loose

This is what I'm talking about.

DSCN3199.jpg

Ah, that. Sorry. Is it not lining up on the splines? The threaded bar between them may need adjusted. There's a couple different ways to open up the splines if that's the issue.

Any pointers? I thought of using a screw driver to expand the opening slightly. Then slowly tap them on with a hammer.

Or put a small screw driver in the slot, then put the bolt in through the threaded end. The bolt will push on the screwdriver and expand it slightly.

Any updates? What part of Orlando are you in? I'm over in Lake Mary and currently building a cb350 G. Tomorrow I'm heading down to skycraft to pick up the last little bits for my wiring that I need. They have a bunch of stuff that I've used on my bike and plan on using in the future.

neubs said:
Any updates? What part of Orlando are you in? I'm over in Lake Mary and currently building a cb350 G. Tomorrow I'm heading down to skycraft to pick up the last little bits for my wiring that I need. They have a bunch of stuff that I've used on my bike and plan on using in the future.
I'm near UCF, just off the 417 & University. We definitly need to get together. Send me an email and I'll send you my phone #.

Here's where I am with the build. Got the frame back from the welder. It cost a bit more than expected, and he missed the small crack I asked him to weld, but it's back in my hands now. My newest delima: I need an axle that will fit the forks he put on the frame. He told me they were Husqvarna, but couldn't tell me any more than that. Anyone got an idea? I measured, and it's 9" from outside to outside, 5 1/2" inside to inside, and 11/16th diameter (it'll be metric). Ahhhh...the joys of a first build!

forkends2.jpg

Damn! I was really hoping to get a rolling chasis done this weekend! Just need a front axle. Anyone recognize this front end?

Forksfrontview.jpg

No - where did you get it? Stuff is wired for racing. Looks like a nice set of forks.

Got it from the welder I had brace the frame, he used to race and has a shop full of parts. He said the front end is a mix of European parts, the triple is from an Ossa and the forks from Husqvarna. I've been searching ebay and other sites but unable to ID the forks inorder to find an axle. He thought the honda one would fit, but it doesn't.

Do you still have the stock front end? If so just run that untill you can figure this one out. What size are the forks? I've heard of Husqvarna stuff before but never seen them. another option would be to have an axel machined. There is a good small machine shop over in Maitland/Fern Park area that is extremely reasonable. If you do go that route I would bring the front end or even the whole frame with you so they could get some measurements. I did get your pm and I'll be giving you a call soon.

neubs said:
There is a good small machine shop over in Maitland/Fern Park area that is extremely reasonable.

I thought about having one machined. Do you have the name or # of that shop?

Searched the net last night looking for a match to my front end. Had some success, especially with Ebay. Then, got up this morning and shined them up...and there it was. Stamped on the side of the forks: <BETOR> Made in Spain. Now, I need an axle.

Framesideview1.jpg

100_1367.jpg

Rgrpfdr1!!! Good to see someone else making a CL model Cafe! I just started a few days ago and I already have a "non working" engine pretty much running. (I need one more fuel line).

I am actually really excited to follow your thread, get ideas, talk about parts (and where to get em), and follow progress!

Cheers!

The Cisco Kid!

After lots of looking around, scouring the net and many phone calls I've come to conclusion that I have few choices.

First, I looked into changing the wheel bearings in the front tire to accomodate a 17mm front axle. Called All Balls and they informed me that no one makes wheel bearings in the size I need/want (17mmx42mmx13mm, sealed). Koyo has one, but it's an open bearing, goes in a Vespa.

Next, I looked into having a new front axle made. Cost: $85/hr x approximately 2 1/2 hrs + materials. I'd still have to come up with a way to fit the tire on, bringing up my next option...

Third, I can change the front wheel out completely. Just need to find a tire with the correct measurements of 3 x 19, that takes a 17mm axle. I'm hoping to find one that has a drum break system.

Finally, I could use a 15mm axle, providing it's long enough (9" fork to fork, outside edges) and find/fabricate some bushings to fit into the end of the forks. Not really into this idea.

And, no matter the choice I still need to come up with an axle!
Anyone got any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom