Shake the Box CL360/378 - The Hedgehog - Done

Re: Shake the Box Kit - CL360

Looks good. You can probably re use that fork oil right =p just make a funnel out of "assembly tape" and pour it back in =) keep up the good work my friend!

hurco550 said:
Looks good. You can probably re use that fork oil right =p just make a funnel out of "assembly tape" and pour it back in =) keep up the good work my friend!

Fork oil is cheap. Don't reuse it.

Sonreir said:
Fork oil is cheap. Don't reuse it.

I was kiddin. ridesolo and I are pals and he knows better too ;)

Just interested how high is that nice moto desk out of wood you build?
Is it comfortable ( :) ) to work on?

hurco550 said:
I was kiddin. ridesolo and I are pals and he knows better too ;)

Yeah, it's already been thrown out, was just waiting to measure it out so I know how much for replacement.

Speaking of fork oil, I've read differing opinions on here: fork oil vs. ATF. What's the current consensus on that? What does the viscosity of ATF work out to compared to motor oil compared to fork oil?

Ryan Stecken said:
Just interested how high is that nice moto desk out of wood you build?
Is it comfortable ( :) ) to work on?

It's 17.5" high X 23" wide X 72" long. The length was by design, the width and height were determined by what I had in scrap lumber laying around. It is a nice height but it was based on the length of the shortest hunk of 4X4 I had. Could be higher and it would be ok, but it works. I had just bought a Kreg so it was a perfect way to experiment with it.

I have a similar one I built. Height is 18" on mine, and longer and a bit wider, but I love it. Put it on wheels so I can roll it around. Can sit on a stool to do all my wrenching, no standing up all day.

Great use of some scrap lumber.

J-Rod10 said:
I have a similar one I built. Height is 18" on mine, and longer and a bit wider, but I love it. Put it on wheels so I can roll it around. Can sit on a stool to do all my wrenching, no standing up all day.

Great use of some scrap lumber.

Thanx! Great use of a Kreg, too. Those things are worth the $$ if you work w/ wood at all. Its about right for a rolling shop stool but not so low that it's tough on the back if you are standing.

My bench is higher than 18". Ill measure later but idk how much. It was on the verge of being too tall, and then I put casters on it putting it another 4" or so in the air. It also makes it an interesting exercise to put a bike on/off of it.

hurco550 said:
My bench is higher than 18". Ill measure later but idk how much. It was on the verge of being too tall, and then I put casters on it putting it another 4" or so in the air. It also makes it an interesting exercise to put a bike on/off of it.

The height of mine works pretty well for moving the 360 engine around. I have it sitting on a small dolly and I can wheel that off the work table directly onto the motorcycle jack without trying to lift it by myself. I like the caster idea. Next time I am onto HF I'll check to see if they have some that'll attach to the bottom of the 4X4 legs. Stuff doesn't roll well on my soft floor, though.

Re: Shake the Box CL360

Seat from Slipstream; thanx! Tank: CB500T. How many combinations of tank and seat have I now had on this thing? Too many, I'm afraid, but this one I like. So, with this nailed down I can start moving things along.

hurco550 said:
Oooo I like the look man!

Thanx! There are some details to sort out, but I can finally picture it in my head. I had a general idea in mind right along but have had trouble getting the details filled in. I came across a picture of a CL450 on here a couple weeks ago that finally got everything moving in the right direction for me.

I'll paint the fork lowers and have the forks back together soon. The headstock bearings are on their way from All Balls and if I get a coat of primer on the front fender to take away the distraction of that Kawasaki green I should be able to get a good vision of the front half.

It always helps to have a little inspiration. I think you really have a good thing going there. I agree, I think the fender may be a bit off with that color. It would probably help if some jack wagon would get you your swing arm back too eh =)

Are the sprockets gonna line up?

Rearsets are gonna be nice. They look both cool and comfy.

trek97 said:
Are the sprockets gonna line up?

Rearsets are gonna be nice. They look both cool and comfy.

Thanx. Originally had the rearsets on the buddy peg mounts but when I'd sit on it I couldn't even get to the "vroom, vroom" part before hip cramps started. I hope they aren't too low now. If so I'll raise 'em up an inch and they'll still be "nearly 60" ergonomic. I will have to find an off-set front sprocket, but it won't be as bad as I first feared it would be.

PBI Sprockets out of Oregon. I had one that is 400 thousandths offset made with them. Chromoly, machined from one piece. Was $55 to my door, took a week from order time to arrival.

J-Rod10 said:
PBI Sprockets out of Oregon. I had one that is 400 thousandths offset made with them. Chromoly, machined from one piece. Was $55 to my door, took a week from order time to arrival.

Thank you, I appreciate that!

hurco550 said:
It always helps to have a little inspiration. I think you really have a good thing going there. I agree, I think the fender may be a bit off with that color. It would probably help if some jack wagon would get you your swing arm back too eh =)

I don't worry about that "jack wagon" he's a good troop and will get to it when he can. It's not like the world will stop turning or nothin'. Had a grandson with us for a few days this week and the poor little guy got some kind of intestinal bug and was down for a day. He shared with me so I was really down yesterday and now am only back up to 85% or so. Dang, haven't been that sick in decades! So, nothing has been getting done anyway.

Between the Kawi green front fender and that incredibly ugly yellow BMW K-bike front fender front half I'm going to use for a hugger... well, "clown bike" comes to mind. A Honda w/ Kawi front and rear, Yamaha rearsets, BWM fender... if not clown bike, at least eclectic, I guess.

No pix again, but got the other fork tube pulled apart.. No problems and nothing unexpected. Both of the tubes are in beautiful shape with no pitting or rust. All pretty much like new, really. If I had the lowers painted I could get them back together. Spoze I'd better get at the painting, huh?

Unless I get a better suggestion from someone on here I'm going to use synthetic 10w30 for replacement fork oil. Some on DTT say that's the way to go, others say ATF and I haven't been able to find a consensus.

I got the headstock bearings in from All Balls. My only concern is that the bottom bearing doesn't want to slide all the way down. I hope if I put the bottom triple and tube into the freezer I'll be able to get it to slide down without having to get the tube machined. Guess I'd better get out the micrometer and and see how far off it is.

Back
Top Bottom