Am I missing something? CL450 rear rim brake hub swingarm issue

mark13018

"In the age of information, ignorance is a choice
Guys, I think I may just be overlooking something but I can't put my finger on it.

I tightened my rear axle and the cotter pin won't even be in far enough to go through the slots in the castlated nut.

the rim sounds like it's rubbing on that area and the lip of the brake hub is slightly cracked.

It's been so long since I put that back together but I don't remember anything else in there and I haven't really ridden it since I got it so the crack is from awhile ago. I also checked on cmsnl and it doesn't show anything else extra in there. Just the brake hub and rim hub.

I have my brothers cb450 sitting here and the hub is more flush than mine.

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450-super-sport-450-k4-1971-usa_model452/partslist/F++15.html#results

ZhOv45I.jpg

hWUbSb1.jpg

NMrvDjQ.jpg

The bearing on the gear drive side has an insert/spacer. If you swapped bearings chances are you tossed the spacer.. Take it apart asap. The geardrive side bearing has a bigger ID, and the spacer fills it, also making a 3mm bush at the same time.

You say its an cl450 but the link to cmsnl shows a cb450. Look at the partsfiche rearwheel of the cl450, find part no 10 and never assume again. Assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups ;)

Thank you sir!
You mean number 8?. I think that's a safe assumption since 10 is the brake arm ;)

Real nice that 8 isn't even listed with a part number... Does anyone know if another Honda rear rim has the same spacer? I have a couple extra wheels here for other bikes. Does anyone have one they could send my way?

That crack on the hub lip is old too.

I was told the PO (I bought it from his daughter) got the bike in boxes and put it back together and rode it. I think it's been missing for awhile.

Is it just a metal flat washer? Anyone have one laying around they could measure for me? I have buckets of bolts and crap.

take the wheel off and check that the bearing hasnt shifted
this could be caused by some issue with the center spacer
there is no loose pieces on the brake side between the brake plate and bearing

you need to make sure that the spacer between the bearings is not worn,however this would likely make the wheel bearings fail when you tork the axle nut

Spacer short?

Attachments

• 20140601_160445.jpg
    20140601_160445.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 201
Missing washer at end on the right side chain adjuster on the axle.
Does something go between the bearings other than the spacer I have in there? It's pretty loose, about 1/2" short.

Attachments

• 20140601_160431.jpg
    20140601_160431.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 213
Jeez dude.. The ID of the bearing is bigger then the axle dont you see that :/

On my phone right now, cant post pics..
Go to cmsnl and find this fiche:

REAR WHEEL SCHEMATIC HONDA CL450 SCRAMBLER 450 K0 1968 USA

Part 10 is the one you're missing.

Bert Jan said:
Jeez dude.. The ID of the bearing is bigger then the axle dont you see that :/

On my phone right now, cant post pics..
Go to cmsnl and find this fiche:

REAR WHEEL SCHEMATIC HONDA CL450 SCRAMBLER 450 K0 1968 USA

Part 10 is the one you're missing.

Hahahaha!! :eek: :eek:

Nope, put the bearing holder in place and didn't even notice... It's been almost 2 years since I put those on
All balls bearings must be off. Looks like I need new bearings also. :-\

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl450-scrambler-450-k0-1968-usa_model553/partslist/F++14.html#results

you have the right bearings
you are missing #10
if you have been riding the bike with the axle correctly torqued then yes get new bearings because
if so you have created an issue that harms the bearings undo side loading which they are not designed for ;)

what # 10 is for is to allow a larger bearing to be used on the drive side
it gets installed as a captured assembly behind the drive side bearing,as your picture shows it is missing

Thanks to bradj a couple years ago selling me this rear hub from the sake bike. I should be able to steal the parts from this and just order some new bearings.

Attachments

• 20140601_165543.jpg
    20140601_165543.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 194
xb33bsa said:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cl450-scrambler-450-k0-1968-usa_model553/partslist/F++14.html#results

you are missing #10
if you have been riding the bike with the axle correctly torqued then yes get new bearings because
if so you have created an issue that harms the bearings undo side loading which they are not designed for ;)

it gets installed as a captured assembly behind the drive side bearing,as your picture shows it is missing

Thanks!! After getting another hub down from the attic looks like that is the case and I have one in this spare hub... Still need to find another one of the axle washers that go after the chain tensioner though... It's like 150 degrees in the attic so I'm taking a break. Will look more in 30min.

xb33bsa said:

you are missing #10

Yes thats what i was sayinv but the language barrier was in the way

and like i said the bearings are not designed to be loaded like you did
basically as you were tightening the axle nut you were attempting to push the inner race out of each bearing which is a total fail :-X they cannot handle that kind of extreme axial thrust loading
i really cant believe you rode it like that the potential for wobbles and weaving was great because all you had keeping the wheel/axle concentric on the drive side was luck
count your blessings sir

xb33bsa said:
and like i said the bearings are not designed to be loaded like you did
basically as you were tightening the axle nut you were attempting to push the inner race out of each bearing which is a total fail :-X they cannot handle that kind of extreme axial thrust loading
i really cant believe you rode it like that the potential for wobbles and weaving was great because all you had keeping the wheel/axle concentric on the drive side was luck
count your blessings sir

So true. I guess the bearings are totally done haha. First gear its alright, second gear holdon tight, third gear.. Klabaam

I haven't rode it at all. The axle was still loose from when I replaced the bearings and I left the nut so loose to be obvious and remember to tighten it down later because I didn't have my front sprocket at the time to adjust the chain. (If I remember my timeline correctly)

I was just tightening it down last night for the first time since the bearings were replaced and they never had a load.

Should be good once I get the axle spacer in there.

Thanks guys!

Happy brake hub ;D . Glad I never rode on it like that, it wouldn't have ended well. :eek:

Removed bearing, put axle spacer in, greased, reassembled. Looks good!

Thanks again for the quick responses!

Attachments

• 20140601_192245.jpg
    20140601_192245.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 186
Back
Top Bottom