National helmet law

Madmaxx

Been Around the Block
[size=10pt][size=10pt]

I had this forwarded to me.

March 12, 2008

Motorcycle Safety Training Funds Under Attack

- press release -

PICKERINGTON, Ohio--U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters reaffirmed her desire to lobby states for mandatory helmet-use laws in testimony before the U.S. Senate Appropriations Committee Transportation Subcommittee on March 6, the American Motorcyclist Association reports.

Peters' testimony follows letters she sent in February to U.S. House and Senate leaders urging Congress to allow states to divert federal money away from motorcycle safety training and awareness programs and instead push for mandated helmet use.

Under federal law, the U.S. Transportation Department is barred from lobbying for or against specific state laws. That measure was passed by Congress at the request of motorcyclists who specifically wanted to prevent the federal government from lobbying for mandatory helmet laws. But when asked whether she would support an exemption to the law to allow her department to lobby the states for mandatory helmet laws, she said she would.

"I support giving the information to states so that they can act on those laws," Peters testified. "And I certainly have made myself available to a number of states, and, in fact, have called governors when I see substantial increases in the number of motorcycle deaths in a state, especially a state that has repealed a helmet law."

Peters is pushing to move funds out of motorcycle safety training and awareness even though the money was specifically approved by Congress at the request of motorcyclists who wanted to beef up the nation's motorcycle safety training and awareness efforts.

In February, in response to the letters Peters wrote, Ed Moreland, AMA vice president for government relations, expressed concern that diverting federal motorcycle safety funds to mandate helmet use could harm rider training courses and motorcycle awareness programs that are already underfunded in many states.

At that time, he also expressed concern that Peters' proposal could contradict sections of transportation bills passed in 1998 and 2005 that ban the use of federal motorcycle safety funds to lobby state legislatures in favor of mandatory helmet laws and could effectively reverse that ban.

"Banning the federal government from lobbying for mandatory state helmet laws was the very reason Congress passed this measure in the first place," said Moreland. "What Peters is asking for is not an exception to the rule, it's an example of an exception completely circumventing the rule."

Moreland believes Peters is willing to push for mandatory helmet laws at the expense of rider training and awareness programs designed to teach motorcycling skills that would prevent crashes from occurring in the first place.

"This latest testimony reaffirms our fears--that the U.S. transportation secretary wants to lobby for mandatory helmet laws by diverting funding specifically set aside for motorcycle safety training and awareness to further her mandatory helmet-use agenda," Moreland said.

"Helmet use is certainly one part of a comprehensive approach to motorcycle safety, but the use of motorcycle helmets is already advocated in existing motorcycle safety training programs," Moreland said.

"Congress decided to fund motorcycle safety training and awareness programs at the request of the motorcycling community. This effort by Secretary Peters to divert money away from those programs is an attempt to circumvent the wishes of Congress and those motorcyclists nationwide who wanted to specifically augment rider training and awareness programs," he said.

[/size][/size]

Hmm... Seems to me that the people who actually attend motorcycle training courses aren't the ones out there with no helmet.

I don't know about that. I have been riding for over 17 years now Have never taken a safety training course but I have always worn a helmet. Connecticut requires you wear a helmet while you have a permit. I am not sure but I feel it's how an individual is brought up. Do you value life? or do you value a sense of freedom, that has become inherent with owning and riding a motorcycle. I would think if you asked someone who rides and does not wear a helmet they don't do it to be less safe. I don't think they view it in that context, They enjoy the sense of freedom of the wind and sense of nothing holding you back. I don't anyone who would ride though a state that has a helemt law goign somewhere that does not bring there helmet and put it on when in that state, only to take if off once they have left.
I do think that to take money away from rider safety training course to mandate a helmet law will not save lives. rider safety has been shown to do more for motorcycle safety than any helmet law.
Now you don't see u.s trasportaion secretary advocating for a mandatory rider safety training. You have to ask your self why?

Now that would work to help reduce accidents and give people break on insurance just like with the automobile industry.

Mortikan said:
Now you don't see u.s trasportaion secretary advocating for a mandatory rider safety training. You have to ask your self why?

Now that would work to help reduce accidents and give people break on insurance just like with the automobile industry.

Yeah that would def be a better way to spend the money.

More open casket funerals with helmet laws, hey Mortikan.

Always thought it was silly to create a law about something that is common sense. As for helmet laws myself, I live in Colorado which has no helmet law and I always wear a helmet. I feel that it really should be left up to individual choice. Wanna wear a helmet? Wear a helmet. Don't wanna wear a helmet? Don't wear a helmet. Problem solved, now let's balance the national budget...

crispycafe said:
I feel that it really should be left up to individual choice. Wanna wear a helmet? Wear a helmet. Don't wanna wear a helmet? Don't wear a helmet. Problem solved, now let's balance the national budget...
I agree 150%....

On a scorching hot summer day, I would enjoy the option of not wearing a helmet.

I thought it would be appropriate to post this here.
I lost a good friend today to a head injury.
A group of us went out for a ride on some of the winding back-roads in the area with the intention of ending up at the Forks of the Credit. We hadn't even made it 30 minutes into our journey when exiting a series of sharp bends I saw Rob in my rear view leave the road at about 60km/hr. He hit a small culvert at a driveway and was sent over the bars landing on the grass on the other side of the driveway. I thought to myself "Man he's going to be pissed with himself over that". Well, when I got to him he was unconscious - shit this is serious.
After some yelling at him, he came to and was able to answer some basic questions. He was able to move his hands & feet and we held him still while we waited for the ambulance. An off duty nurse pulled over to give us some help. She monitored his pupils and pulse and grew more concerned as time went on. He became more combative and started giving "i don't know" answers to everything. We tried to keep his air way free when he started to vomit. The police arrived after 10minutes and the ambulance an agonizing 10minutes after that. 10 minutes into his ambulance ride, the pressure to his brain from swelling shut off the functions for his breathing and his heart. They were unable to resuscitate him. Rob passed away at 11:22am.
He was wearing a "vintage" 20 year old helmet. The worst part of it was that he was planning on buying a "proper" helmet but hadn't gotten around to it. I was toying with the idea of getting one of those cool retro buckets, but now I will definitely stick to the safest I can get. I firmly believe that if he was wearing a decent helmet I would be driving him home from the hospital with a cast on his arm - Instead I had to tell his wife and 3 kids how he died. We all have a choice - but for the sake of your family and friends - make the smart choice.

Farewell friend

Wow, really sorry to hear about your friend. Hope you and his family are coping with this loss.

I have to agree with you about the helmets, the old ones look cool but I would rather have the piece of mind of a modern one, however this is an awful way to learn this lesson.

One of the things I learned from the MSF is that motorcycle helmet shells are very susceptible to UV damage and will become brittle and provide less protection over time. It will help SOME to make sure your bucket is stored in a dark place or in a protective helmet bag when not in use, but because they are normally used outdoors and in direct sunlight the eventual deterioration is inevitable. In addition to the shell, and even more important, the interior shock absorption materials inside the shell also deteriorate over time and will provide less protection. I guess wearing any helmet is better than wearing no helmet at all, but the older the helmet is, the less likely it is to adequately protect you.

I see old helmets for sale at garage and yard sales fairly often. If they are selling for only a dollar or two I usually buy them… then throw them away.

ridesolo said:
I see old helmets for sale at garage and yard sales fairly often. If they are selling for only a dollar or two I usually buy them… then throw them away.

You may be throwing away major $$$. Put them up on Ebay and see how much they fetch. I hope you didnt't throw away any good Bell Magnums lately or you'll be kicking yourself.

Nope, no way. I'd kick myself for selling an old helmet for any amount of $$$. First off, the ones I've done that with were cheapie old buckets anyway. Some have even had scratches like they've "been down." (Those should be thrown away anyway.) My wife and I sell stuff on eBay all the time and have for years so when we're out at yard sales and the like we're searching for stuff to sell. We've made really good $$ over the years. Since I have no way of knowing if a buyer is going to just put it on a shelf to display it or is actually going to ride with such an old bucket there is absolutely no way I'd sell an old helmet... no amount of $$$ is worth it to me, period. The guy who buys it could be Roustabout's friend.

Back
Top Bottom