Changing the color of a bike, and replacing a odometer in NJ

aaandht

Alright, when I got my bike it was rusty, silver, and ugly. I took my time and painted it flat black, etc etc. Of course, in all my brilliance, I did this BEFORE I went and got it inspected. I went to the DMV to try and get papers to change my title, but the woman and the desk didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and the cop gave me an attitude about how I should leave the bike the color the way it is(oops). I have been riding it without an inspection sticker, however my area tends to enjoy giving out tickets for no inspections, so I'd like to get this resolved. Also, my speedometer recently took a crap on me, and is in need of replacing. What exactly needs to be done to make my bike some what legit with a new odometer?

What year is your bike.....I'm in NJ too and I would like to register mine as a classic since it's over 25 years old. I think that would help with the inspection and insurance as well, though it may limit the amount of use on the vehicle. I'm not sure if it even needs to be inspected as a classic bike. As far as the color goes, I've never heard of that being a problem, as long as the numbers are good. Gotta love NJDMV though right?? LOL

Keep us posted on what happens, could save the Jerzey guys some headaches in the future.

1981, but if I register as a classic wouldn't that mean I need to have historic plates? If its the same as a classic car, I wouldn't be able to ride my bike for 4 more years(only drivers 25+ IIRC).

I'm going to talk with my friend's dad, he recently painted his sportster and got the title changed. If I get any good news I'll be sure to post it.

Maybe I'm not reading this right but are you concerned about YOUR age? or the bikes age? In VA, and I'm pretty sure everywhere else, the age of the VEHICLE determines wether or not you can register it as an antique. Yes, that will require you to have antique plates but so what?

Back
Top Bottom