My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project (New Video)

John, all the best, have a speedy and complete recovery! Two of my best friends are heart surgeons, as a matter of fact I'm going over to see one of them tonight. Yours is definitely bike of the month.
Cheers, 50gary

I am so sorry to here your news. Take care of yourself and do all the stuff you need to do to heal up.

Take care, it will be a good time to catch up on all of your DOT reading while you rest up.

Brian

Thanks for all the well wishes, I am feeling better everyday :)

Now I have all this time on my hands my mind wanders and that means thinking about future projects ;) If I could choose my next bike to build it would be one of three choices all totally different, #1 Kawasaki 650 Ninja (twin cylinder 4stroke) #2 Suzuki dr800 (single cylinder 4stroke) #3 Yamaha lc350 (twin cylinder 2stroke). The Kawi would be my #1 choice maybe a crash damaged bike as I wouldn't be using much of the frame or suspension.... we shall see.

Nice to hear your keeping your spirits up and making use of the down time. ;D Take care of yourself and get better!

Walms said:
No Kawi triple on your list??? :)

I know I can't afford that! I would love a 750 but just rebuilding the engine alone would cost a fortune ;) There is a guy on here did a Kawi triple with Ninja 636 forks and mono rear with a TZ ducktail seat which is a great looking bike but I can't remember his username.

Trevor is is given name, not sure of his board name?
You are right about that though, they aren't cheap, especially the H2's
A hopped up H1 is the best way to go for bang for your buck.

Walms said:
Trevor is is given name, not sure of his board name?
You are right about that though, they aren't cheap, especially the H2's
A hopped up H1 is the best way to go for bang for your buck.

That's the guy! We pm'ed each other quite a bit about forks and pipes and stuff. I just remembered user name is squirrely (sp)

Hey Andrew, this is the guy I am talking about, Squirely aka Jens. Here is his Kawi. Same forks, brakes and wheels that I used on my Suzuki.

Attachments

• jens004.jpg
    jens004.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 251

And it was a BOTM too. John hope you heal up fast and well. Cheers

Maritime

Maritime said:
And it was a BOTM too. John hope you heal up fast and well. Cheers

Maritime

Thanks, feeling better every day!

johnu said:

Now I have all this time on my hands my mind wanders and that means thinking about future projects ;) If I could choose my next bike to build it would be one of three choices all totally different, #1 Kawasaki 650 Ninja (twin cylinder 4stroke) #2 Suzuki dr800 (single cylinder 4stroke) #3 Yamaha lc350 (twin cylinder 2stroke). The Kawi would be my #1 choice maybe a crash damaged bike as I wouldn't be using much of the frame or suspension.... we shall see.

Ita to bad we don't get the honda Africa (better than the dr800 aka Dr big).

John I new you were gone get botm sooner or later well deserved . OH get well soon .Hey did you have any custom work done porting of the heart valve maybe boysen reed valves ;D us old guys need all the help we can get

Haha only a slight tune up on the heart wall plus remove an old pacemaker wire, all valves and arteries are fully ported and wide open (like new) like a factory racer. I should be hammering kids less than half my age on the mountain bike again in about 6 months.

My boy is going to start the Suzuki on Friday when he gets home on leave. I am having him make some carb adjustments first just to see if I can make a little headway.

Johnu
I'm just new here. Saw you had open heart surgery. Glad to see you're recovering.
I've had some done too and it's ok, you'll be as good as new soon.
In the meantime, put your son to work on the Suzuki!
Regards
David

johnu said:

farmer58za said:
Johnu
I'm just new here. Saw you had open heart surgery. Glad to see you're recovering.
I've had some done too and it's ok, you'll be as good as new soon.
In the meantime, put your son to work on the Suzuki!
Regards
David

Thanks for the encouragement!

Ok guys I finally started working on the 500 again. Unfortunately I never did get it running right so I am going to completely strip the engine again and totally rebuild it. Last time I didn't have the crank rebuilt because po said it had been done recently. I now believe that was not true.

Biggest problem I had was that it ran like it had an air leak, when you revved it up it the revs didn't die down right away.

I must confess that I short cut the original rebuild and now regret it. After Eric did the porting I was going to have the cylinders bored to next size over (max) and fit new pistons (i bought some on ebay for $60 brand new) but I just ended up putting new rings in it. Also I never skimmed the 0.020" off the heads that Eric suggested.

So the plan now; Strip engine completely and have the crank split and install new center seal. Buy new forged pistons (max oversize) and get cylinders bored. Skim 0.020" from heads. Of course I installed new outer crank seals last time I rebuilt it but I will put new ones in anyway. I plan to use Bill Bune to do the crankshaft and boring unless there are any other suggestions here? I will do the heads myself.

I want to do this right this time so if anyone has suggestions for anything else I should consider doing while building the engine fire away :up: The bike will run on Sunnoco standard leaded race gas (no more ethanol crap for me :lol: )I am building this bike to use mostly at trackdays.

Just drained the oil out before I remove the engine and it is about 50/50 oil and gas (petrol).

Back
Top Bottom