2 Stroke...$100 if you figure it out

PancakeShake

Been Around the Block
So.

73 KE100. Ridden for 5 years with zero issues.

Went to go for ride, started on 3 kicks (always 1 kick previous to that),made it about 100ft then it died. Kick and kick with nothing.

I figured fouled plug, new plug, still nothing.

NOW FOR THE FUN.

So the bike has no spark when I pull the plug an kick, I have tried plugs and a new coil with no luck. So the bike will not start, UNLESS you "pop start" it by running next to it for a good 100+ft. Then it starts slowly picking up and BAM! Runs. Idles, all lights work, 6v everywhere. Has a bog when you open it up but overall runs solid in the lower range of the throttle.

Im lost, ont get this one. Anyone seen this? Almost like the fuel is dieseling...which i have a very hard time believing...

The lack of spark at kickover sounds like you lost the low speed charge coil. The reluctance to start and soggy bottom end sound like the carb needs a good clean and fresh gas.

point gap is closed up from wear and or sticky operation of points
clean lube regap points, check timing

teazer said:
The lack of spark at kickover sounds like you lost the low speed charge coil.

- Has good gas, rode it for 2 weeks almost every other day with no carb issues.
- And points are good, clean, smooth, timing is good.

Low speed charge coil? Do tell...

Another note, the ride before this fiasco, I noticed the bike started to limp a bit at high RPMs. That has now been amplified to a point where the bike runs like junk under any real load as described above.

check your voltage at the stator. Maybe a weak rotor causing low voltage (minimal spark) at low rpm.

Also, I had a sheared woodruff key on a rotor once, and the bike would only start when I bump started it, and it would not idle well. This caused a lot of grief

PancakeShake said:
So.

73 KE100. Ridden for 5 years with zero issues.

Went to go for ride, started on 3 kicks (always 1 kick previous to that),made it about 100ft then it died. Kick and kick with nothing.

I figured fouled plug, new plug, still nothing.

NOW FOR THE FUN.

So the bike has no spark when I pull the plug an kick, I have tried plugs and a new coil with no luck. So the bike will not start, UNLESS you "pop start" it by running next to it for a good 100+ft. Then it starts slowly picking up and BAM! Runs. Idles, all lights work, 6v everywhere. Has a bog when you open it up but overall runs solid in the lower range of the throttle.

Im lost, ont get this one. Anyone seen this? Almost like the fuel is dieseling...which i have a very hard time believing...

Ive had two two strokes that would only start being pushed, fixed with a top end rebuild oddly, the low comp was causing weak current with the plug against the fins, but when fitted and pushed it would slowly start up. Its a pain but it cleared it up for me, put a screw in the plug cap and hold it with like kick over, should shock you slightly, enough to drop the screw, but yeah it was low comp for me

Honestly I figured at first it was compression becasue its the original 73 top end, 7000 miles, and it was run pretty hard (50-55mph...pinned) for about 15 miles a day, for a week. Too much for the little 100 haha?

Figured it wasn't after I saw no spark, but if it worked for you, worth a shot.

PancakeShake said:
Low speed charge coil? Do tell...

Another note, the ride before this fiasco, I noticed the bike started to limp a bit at high RPMs. That has now been amplified to a point where the bike runs like junk under any real load as described above.

Many ignition systems back then used two coils inside the "magneto" flywheel to charge the CDI. The first worked at low speed and the other at high speed and of course they overlap. What it means is that it's time to check the resistance of each of the coils to see what the value is compared to stock/spec.

Your latest revelation unfortunately suggests a different issue. Lack of power at mid to high revs that just got worse seems to suggest that maybe it seized and rings are damaged leading to low compression, poor starting and poor top end.

Check the electrical system and then do a compression test. It might be a good idea to check the fuel tap and carb just in case it sucked some rust or paint particles through.

Pulled the top end today and yes, the piston had a dimple forming in the center, but the rings and cylinder wall were perfect.

Should I just buy a new magneto for the thing?

PancakeShake said:
Pulled the top end today and yes, the piston had a dimple forming in the center, but the rings and cylinder wall were perfect.

Should I just buy a new magneto for the thing?
what did the compression test show? yer just chasin yer tail now ,shoulda done a crankcase leak test as well

Pictures please so we can see what you are seeing.

I wouldn't throw money at it until you are sure of the problem. What was the compression reading?

KE 100 was the last Kawasaki to use flywheel magneto points ignition, they didn't go electronic until late 90's
Points have probably closed up or are just worn out, no one even thought to look. He did say it's a 1973 bike

Tune-A-Fish said:
Bet it kicks/pushes easy 8)
the old original soopertraps with discs were the bain of many a 2 stroke rider/racer ,the discs,if not cleaned it is 100% for sure that they will plug up with carbon-spooge and it creates a misterious running issue .....more that once i saved a rider stuck on a long hillclimb out in the woods

Back
Top Bottom