Left Field: I need some help on my CB1000f Hurricane

Bodacious

Ok so I feel as though I may be in the wrong place but I was just looking for a little help. I am working on a cbr1000f and found that one of the parks plugs was removed years ago and it filled with water and rusted. Now I have to go into the engine. Do you have any recommended suppliers for pistons? What about head work? How beneficial would porting the exhaust be? Is there such a thing as a cheap cam? Just trying to find ideas and sources guys, please help me out.

unless you are a super tuner with a dyno and years of experience keep the motor stock,but yes indeed do the rebuild carefully and correctly.find a reputable head reconditioner and pony up the money.. send it out ,if not one in your area
....a motor like a cbr1000 is not like an old chevy v8 where you drop in a cam ,it is already in 9/10ths tune you cannot improve on it without some real expertise
in the long run its probably cheaper to buy a wrecked one and swap parts

xb33bsa said:
in the long run its probably cheaper to buy a wrecked one and swap parts

This ^^^^

Don't rule out the possibility that water has weeped past the piston rings and fubar'd the bottom end.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be looking into the bottom end when I drain the oil. We decided (For now) to re-sleeve the bad cylinder and shaving a fuz off the head. My buddy has this grand idea that somehow I am going to be able to afford quad turbo's for her first bonneville run but that aint happening. I did look around for a cam and saw that there wasn't a whole lot to chose from. so for now its going to be lighten up the frame, re-jet the carbs, and fix the shitty fishtank cylinder.

a properly valved and sprung ohlins, fox or other shock in the rear and tuning the forks would be yer best money spent besides of course good tires and brake pads
be aware that skimming the head changes valve timing, it will retard it slightly possibly removing some of the grunt in the mid range

UPDATE: Ok so I soaked the cylinder with brake fluid for about 2 nights and then sucked everything out, She now turns over freely with compression. Now I cant get spark. I've Ohm'ed out everything I can think of and pulled the igniter box out, boss says thats gotta be it. I think its it. I ordered one on E-bay for $50 on a risk since the tested ones are about 150, but I'm cheap.

I've decided that I'. moving the engine to the 1987 frame after I remove the subframe and weld mounts for the '08 cbr1000 model. Then upgrading suspension in the rear and hopefully front. It sits too flat for me, I want it to look a little more aggressive and corner a little bit better. On the other hand they do make pretty good touring bikes, and I am definitely getting a little more into touring.

Back
Top Bottom