Cb360 oil filter metal flake

Djfob

Been Around the Block
So going through my barn find that hasn't ran in years. Drained oil smelled like gas. The oil pick up screen looks normal but found some small metal flakes within the sludge in the centrifugal oil filter housing.

My question is it normal to have a small amount of metal?

Also can crankcase cover gasket be reused if it came off in one piece attached to the cover itself?

flakes are normal in the oil filter, as far as the gasket goes, it's worth a try. It will be compressed and not considered useable for a picky mechanic, use some non hardening gasket sealer if your worried.

While you have the cover off, check the oil pump screen, sometimes they can get clogged with gunk.

Oil pump screen was pretty clean, didnt take long to sort that out.

I downloaded a service manual, will look into adjusting the cam chain. Any tips that the manual doesn't mention?

There is a big list of oil flow mods somewhere. I am sure one of the 360 guys can point you that way.

Also check the can chain guides, if they are worn badly you will need to replace them as no amount of adjustment will get them right. Last thing you want is a damaged head. Sparck moto can hook you up with a new set.

Djfob said:
Oil pump screen was pretty clean, didnt take long to sort that out.

I downloaded a service manual, will look into adjusting the cam chain. Any tips that the manual doesn't mention?

Any adjustment you make to anything on the engine...do it hot. Cam chain slides, carbs...etc

EXCEPT valves, they are adjusted cold.

Back
Top Bottom