Yamaha XV750

grandavemoto

Hey guys, so after about 3 months of working on this guy, I figured I'd start sharing my build, progress and the fun stuff in between. I'm not one to really type a whole bunch, so let's get to the photos...

As I stated when I joined, this is only my second bike build, my first was a 1972 Honda CB450, which I made into a scrambler brat, so coming into this has been a great learning experience, also pretty awesome because everything isn't 46 years old and rusted to the core.

So, here's some pics, the main thing everyone came for. Also, ignore my crazy messy garage. with 4 kids, and you don't really have your "own" space, it happens, lol.

When it came to it's new home.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

After tear down and engine clean. VHT Enamel, "high end fancy" Paint booth.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Fast Forward a little bit, GSX-R600 Front end, wheel & Caliper. Cognito Moto Top triple YSS Monoshock (Direct Fit)
Shinkos for the rubber.
I didn't want to go with a huge tire so these worked out perfect.
Shinko Advance 005 120/70 on the front
Shinko SR741 130/80 on the rear.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Stripped tank Suzuki GS1100, going with a bare metal & Black Stripe down the center. Had to shape a bit to fit the backbone, but nothing too crazy.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Got the subframe welded on and custom SS exhaust semi mounted.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Universal Scrambler eBay seat, I still have to do a minor amount of Fab work for fitment, but I was pleasantly surprised with it just resting in this pic, not mounted.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

So that's pretty much how it sits now, I'm currently in the wiring, going bare bones with some minimal indicator dummy LEDs, Currently finishing up the steel tracker plate LED headlight (I'll try and get a pic of it up this evening) LED turn signals, and tail light.
No speedo or tach, going to use an iphone for the speedo mounted at the bars, and super minimal controls, only the kill switch turn signals and horn. Starter button is an led in between the dummy lights.
I still have to install the Rear sets, but want to finish the wiring first

Thanks!

Re: 81 XV750 Street Cafe Brat Tracker

nice work, and look on the bright side, you've got a garage in the first place, i've got a cave under the house and an open carport. ain't no way i can do anything to the standard you're doing

spotty said:
nice work, and look on the bright side, you've got a garage in the first place, i've got a cave under the house and an open carport. ain't no way i can do anything to the standard you're doing

True. Well said. Thanks!

Love the look of that tank mate, great choice, and the upswept rear subframe has a demonic street fighter vibe. This Virago looks badass. I'm sold.

Re: 81 XV750 Street Cafe Brat Fighter Tracker

So, had some time to get most of the fab done on the headlight/faceplate last night.
made out of 16ga steel. Just need to hit it with the wire wheel and fab up some brackets for install. Utilizing the bolts from the risers on the backside of the top triple and the steering damper mounting point on the lower triple.

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Very nice - will one set of lights act as the dip/main beam?

The Jimbonaut said:
Very nice - will one set of lights act as the dip/main beam?

So, it's bright as balls as is, drivers will pretty much hate me, LOL.
So, I'm setting it up to control the strip on the left with a push button, the halos on the right with a button, then the projectors in the halo's with a high beam toggle, so there's essentially 3 layers of functionality.

But I can't imagine running them without the halo's and the left strip cause I love how it looks together.

Re: 81 XV750 Cafe Brat Fighter Street Tracker

Neat halo lights. More pics of the backside ? Which ones are they? Thanks..... They look great.

canyoncarver said:
Neat halo lights. More pics of the backside ? Which ones are they? Thanks..... They look great.

Here ya go. The price for me was a no brainer. I figured if they were shit, they could at least go on my kids RC car or something haha. Surpisingly the quality and casting is pretty great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-7-5-18W-Flush-Mount-Spot-LED-Work-Light-Bumper-4WD-SUV-Jeep-OffRoad-Fog-Lamp/272598848865?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2-5-64mm-White-LED-Fog-Light-w-Halo-Angel-Eye-Ring-Auto-Projector-Lamp-20W/361795611174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

grandavemoto said:
Here ya go. The price for me was a no brainer. I figured if they were shit, they could at least go on my kids RC car or something haha. Surpisingly the quality and casting is pretty great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-2-5-64mm-White-LED-Fog-Light-w-Halo-Angel-Eye-Ring-Auto-Projector-Lamp-20W/361795611174?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thank you.. I've seen many like them but it's always nice to get a first hand opinion on ebay stuff like that.

Mate those halo’s are the mutt’s nuts - the whole lighting set up looks bloody great. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

So, a few updates. Aside from some things like, installing the starter gears and clips, much of the recent work has been fab on things like brackets,
and headlight mounting. Not too much, but getting closer.

Originally I purchased a "unversal" seat from eBay, but after staring it for several weeks, I decided to build a custom seat that matched the lines of the subframe much better. So I "unupholstered" the seat and foam and refitted and shaved for it to match. Much better now!

24.jpg

25.jpg

Headlight mounting & Fab work.

26.jpg

27.jpg

With that done, I moved to the battery/electronics tray/encasement.

I'm still deciding on whether to weld on some mounts for a bolt on/off option, but also kinda dig the idea of using black zip ties for it. Still unsure, thoughts? Battery fits perfect with R/R, fuse box and solenoid tucked in.

28.jpg

29.jpg

Re: XV750 Cafe Fighter

So, looks like I'm going with the option to weld a few tabs onto the subframe for the electronics area perforated metal sides. Thanks for the input, LOL.

So, long time no post, we recently moved, so with all of that, I haven't had the opportunity to document the work that's been going on in the background.
A few things have changed on the build since my last posts.

Different tank and overall feel and style of the bike. Really digging the new direction though. I decided on a different tank, which led to chopping some of the subframe I originally created, I feel the lines are way better now.

I created a leather & steel battery box to house the battery, in the pic it's shown mounted over the non used frame air filter, it actually has been moved to the space where the center stand once lived. I'll get pics of that update at some point.

New headlight option, the tracker number plate didn't really flow how I wanted it to. Now I'm just wrapping up the last bits of the bare bones wiring, I actually love wiring, just doesn't seem like I ever have the time to sit down and devote to it all at once.

I am now using a hidden toggle switch for a no key ignition, which is pretty cool. And I integrated the start button into the seat, which I just need to add some carpet liner to the underside.

The last pic is of the paint scheme. Just photoshopped for now, but I save paint for the last stage. Thats all for now.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

I like how this has evolved (yes, add some carpet padding to that saddle). Following (hoping for more updates).

pidjones said:
I like how this has evolved (yes, add some carpet padding to that saddle). Following (hoping for more updates).

Thanks! Yea, I'm way happier about the build now, which is definitely pushing me towards completion pretty soon!

Aussie Steve said:
That tank looks much better, although not sure how your balls will handle that seat configuration ;)

Sent from my Lenovo A6020a40 using DO THE TON mobile app

Ha! Yea, it actually isn't too bad, it's pretty comfortable, I'm not very tall and only 145lbs, so there isn't much pressure on it, that could change once I ride it more ha!, but there's always room for more seat padding should that be the case.

ALL WRAPPED UP!

So I just "finished" the build! After buttoning everything up yesterday, I hit the statrter button, and BOOM! It immediately came to life. This was the first time I've heard it run, and it did not disappoint. Let it run for about 10 minutes or so, then happily rolled it into the garage and sparked up a Cuban cigar.

Super happy with how everything turned out. Today I took it on the first test ride, and man I had an ear to ear smile out of this world. Had to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw, and she purrs like no other.

Hate it or love it. I do, and it's mine. Thx.

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom