16" rear hoop on my bike, 5.10 tires is just barely too wide

pawn

Over 1,000 Posts
I need to find a 16" tire for my cb450 that is slightly narrower than my current 5.10 (It's a harley hoop mated to a cb450 hub.) The chain rubs the tire a bit...and since I'm now tearing it all apart again, I need to get a new tire. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I want to keep the 16" wheel, and not go back to an 18"

thanks!

I agree...there's a fair amount of space in the front sprocket cover to move it out and as Joe says, some washers (don't get too nuts) on the cush studs and you're dialed.

Why not you ask... Because i didn't think of that! Thanks. Otherwise, does anyone even make a vintage in a size just shy, or do they step all the way to a 3.50?

just got back from Cali so I haven't had a chance to mess with the bike yet. In the meantime, do you just space the front sprocket out? I would imagine that moving it a 1/4 inch or so would no longer allow the two to be in line and cause wear on the sprockets and cogs. So, if that is the case, do you space both out? Another option, could I fit a smaller chain on some thinner cogs? If so, what cogs can I find compatible, or would I have to go with a blank and mill it?

hell if you have a mill then that is what i would do in the first place, did not know you had access to that... plus it would be less sheer force if you where to cut it out of stock and make it spaced how you want it... but a 1/4 is a decent amount man, is that how much your chain touches? i would have spaced the rear sprocket personally it is much easier

no,no, I was just asking. I'm not sure if I have access to one or not. My friend has one in the back of his tattoo shop, but I don't know if he'll let me use it. My buddies as the local motorcycle shop go outside for milling (they're shop is adjoined a bunch of other warehouses with machine shops and etc.) As for how much it is hitting, it's not cutting in a 1/4 inch. I rode it for a couple months the way it is, but the tire shows wear, and a sidewall blowout is something I'd like to avoid. I want to move a 1/4 inch, or just get a narrower tire.

just toss on 2 washers per bolt and 3 on the main your golden. if you do not have experiance runing a mill to make a sprocket will take you months, they are pretty involved... then gain i can always CNC one for ya :) but that is pointless man, just toss some washers that will do it for you no problem i have done it many many times

ok cool thanks! But....just in any build things can change, so right now I'm looking to have a longer swingarm than stock. Since i have a 450 (k7) I was thinking a 360 swingarm could work, since I seem to remember looking into that a year ago. I'm not 100% sure it is, but for some reason I really remember it is like 2" longer.

So if anyone reading this has a cb360 swingarm, please let me know! Also a wheel with a drum from the 360 as well so I can just swap everything rather than finding an axle.

Back
Top Bottom