1995 CBR900RR Where to go from here

Cale Young

Been Around the Block
Good morning all,
I have just picked up a 1995 CBR900RR for next to nothing. Previous Owner needed to get rid of it. Main problems are that the transmission needs replaced, he included an Ebay used transmission which looks good, and all of the plastic has been either wrecked or removed, except the tail section of which only the right side is good. Initially I wanted to put it back to stock, ride for a bit and then sell or keep depending on how I like the bike, however after some google and Ebay searching I find that the plastic and all of the attaching hardware is fairly pricey. I am basically looking for ideas as to where to go with this bike. Thanks in advance for the input.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 209
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 208
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 201
Re: 1995 SBR900RR Where to go from here

Fix the transmission then restore it back to factory spec. You can't build it better than honda did.

I've always loved the looks of the early 900rr with the double round headlights. I'd personally probably repair the motor and make sure it runs/rides well, then keep eyes open for a 954rr front end to swap on and get an ebay set of replica OEM fairings pre-painted in mid-90's factory colors/graphics and enjoy it.

getting the 954rr front end used will likely not cost much more than sourcing the weird size 16" front tire, and you'll have inverted forks and better brakes to boot.

I wouldn't bother trying to bring it back to stock - getting the fairings would cost way too much. And don't be tempted by those Chinese knock-off ones - they're rubbish.

The frame on the Blade is pretty tidy - they make nice fighters:

DSC00690.jpg

But first - get it running before you sink $$$ into it.

Thanks gentlemen I appreciate the input. I like all three ideas and I will make a decision when I can get this up and running. Crap thing is that the PO has used Rhino liner for a paint job. Thanks again for the advice.

Young'n

This is a 94 600F2. Plastics were trashed when I bought it. Welded up a new subframe, put a seat and a bikini fairing on it, and rode the shit out of it.

Unfortunately, she spit a rod. About a ten mile straight stretch was the end of her.

IMAG0915_zpsb01f796d.jpg

No, not from the ground up. Usually basic maintenance. I Have replaced head gaskets and clutches, and piston rings, but never a complete rebuild which is my other concern. I have a manual and have been researching the transmission fix. I was told that I could do the transmission without removing the motor. However the manual says different. I am still in research mode, and don't want to tear into it without having a good game plan and the proper tools time and money to finish. Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank's
Young'n

The big question is how long has it been sitting without oil and no sump.

Crank could be stuffed now for all we know if it's been sitting outside for a while.

The bike has sat in a shop for about 1 1/2 maybe 2 years out of the weather without the sump and oil pan. My plan did revolve around the engine just needing a transmission, however the more questions that are put up makes me re-think. What would be the best way to check to see if anything is stuck?

I had a 1995 CBR900RR for about 5 years. Awesome bike.
You can probably find a whole motor for not much more then you will spend in parts and tools to rebuild that one.

As far as cosmetics, look at what this guy did to a CBR1000 - http://www.bikeexif.com/cafe-fighter

Rusnak_322 said:
I had a 1995 CBR900RR for about 5 years. Awesome bike.
You can probably find a whole motor for not much more then you will spend in parts and tools to rebuild that one.

As far as cosmetics, look at what this guy did to a CBR1000 - http://www.bikeexif.com/cafe-fighter

I have checked out Ebay and they have at lease 4 complete engines for around $1000.00 and one with a warranty. It would be cheaper I agree. The Huge moto cbr is a great looking bike. Thanks for the input.

hillsy said:
I wouldn't bother trying to bring it back to stock - getting the fairings would cost way too much. And don't be tempted by those Chinese knock-off ones - they're rubbish.

Huh. Have you got first hand experience of them Hillsy?

I haven't, but I was looking at the them for my CBR400rr and saw a few decent reviews on them. Course they may differ from the 900 ones by manufacturer or what not, but I'm guessing the quality control and build quality would be pretty similar.

I have many friends who have used the Chinese crap. They suck. Most of them ended up using zip ties to get it together because bolt holes didn't line up.

I tried to put some on a GSXR a few yrs back and some of the holes wouldn't line up. I gave up and told him good luck.

more of a slot and tab fitment...not my stuff and wasnt gonna break the guys stuff trying to make it fit.

Back
Top Bottom