2872797f28df2c82ba7f7036426af5b4.jpg

79f5a45a62c5a6479016aebc55378f73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Decided against the tracker seat?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

irk miller said:
This was the tracker seat. LOL

nice lol I liked the looks of the tracker style seat, but you can't see it when your riding, and style doesn't matter when your rear end hurts so bad that you dont want to ride anymore anyways.

HURCO550 said:
nice lol I liked the looks of the tracker style seat, but you can't see it when your riding, and style doesn't matter when your rear end hurts so bad that you dont want to ride anymore anyways.

Yep, and a tracker seat isn’t the right look for a Desert Sled. I built it for the sand and gravel roads and realized a Desert Sled is pretty much the same thing.

Haha. I liked the tracker seat, but this really makes more sense for what it is. If i change it again, it may end up more like the Bates seat...

desert-sled-triumph-scrambler-dirt-bike-motorcycle-vintage-3.jpg

But then Ducati is already copying the Bates seat on their new "desert sled"

Whatever floats your boat man.
The tracker seat is way better looking though ;D

I made sleeves and shrunk them on to VM carbs for the 390 I had, (70mm bore) worked better than expected with zero air leaks. The variety of intake manifolds wasn't available in late 80's so I used stock ones
It was a 120mph 'ratbike'
Surprising just how good it looks in the pics, deeper seat is probably way more practical for off roading and different enough to state bike is used rather than 'shown'

I have a bad habit of trying to make things from what I have laying around so I don’t have to buy parts.

I got the pipes all welded up from stock headers and a CRF450 header plus one that came on my XL. I cut open the stock muffler to salvage the small perforated tubes, then machined end caps.

4b22743eb3e4cab966b5e498cc952add.jpg

138eb2fba26455ccdbee62f2cb8e107e.jpg

f70b952450a976d3aa4a23c6d71ec26c.jpg

canyoncarver said:
Wild. What does it sound like?
It sounds good, actually. Admittedly, it doesn't sound as good as that other exhaust. This one is more throaty where the other one was smoother and quieter. I'll put that can on the DR, I think.

Couldn't get much more than bog at WOT. Turns out these VMs had a 190 main jet installed in them. Way too big. Dropped down to a 130 and moved the needle up one clip (on ring below center). It's seems very happy right now. It's still pretty buzzy though, so I think the carbs are not quite synced. This big ass sprocket is making it quite the quick shifter. I'll have to decide how it wants to play and figure out if I need to go smaller.

Haha, this is loud. Not illegal loud, but it’s loud. I’m going to work on the baffling to see if I can get it toned down more.

I ran it through some paces in the hills where I grew up. With this sprocket setup, 1st gear is useless on street. It’s super short shifting. Top speed is 80-85mph.

I think the jetting needs to drop to 120 or 125, if there is a 125. 130 is close, but not quite right. I raised the needle, but I think that was a mistake. I’ll move it back to the middle, run it and see if the clip needs to drop one above center.

Here’s a glamour shot from the weekend on my Gramma’s property. An area in the piedmont of upstate, South Carolina nicknamed Dark Corners...

73dae00100b363ddbc17a8a093267f24.jpg

Sharp AF bro. Some little heat shields will make all the difference. Mine are just thin stainless and average around 100 degrees w bike at operating temp.
Held on w a SS hose clamp and SS zip tie.
Im sure you already found your jeans were about to catch fire. ;D

goes up in 2.5 increments

125 127.5 130 132.5 ect till you hit 200

in the video it still sounds a bit boggy or timing late

and if your needle is that high you may want to go a bigger jet needle or needle ?

what do you have and are they both the same

how is your idle to 1/4 mixture

what slide do you have both the same ?

in a small carb like that you may even be in the right range to go to a bleed type jet needle (4 stroke type)

for better atomization and economy at same power levels

they dont make them in the size ranges i usually use but they might for your range

Back
Top Bottom