1974 CB360 Fallin' Ditch Hell Ride

I just want to know if you are leaving anything to work on at Barber? I won't recognize you if you are not wrenching on something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

I like the look of it, very 'vintage flat track' 8)
Oh, when I fitted Dyna to Brendon's 360 I had to adjust one side to get timing right. There was just enough material to file hole into a slot. The side that wasn't clamped is the one that failed so clamp had nothing to do with module going faulty. I think I still have the post and screw somewhere 'safe'

clem said:
I just want to know if you are leaving anything to work on at Barber? I won't recognize you if you are not wrenching on something.

Dude. I have more than two months to fuck something up. Give it time. Something will break- if not now, in Kiley's driveway.

crazypj said:
I like the look of it, very 'vintage flat track' 8)
Oh, when I fitted Dyna to Brendon's 360 I had to adjust one side to get timing right. There was just enough material to file hole into a slot. The side that wasn't clamped is the one that failed so clamp had nothing to do with module going faulty. I think I still have the post and screw somewhere 'safe'
I'm not confident I have the timing sorted on this thing. It's not running as good as it should, that's for sure. I haven't messed with jetting yet. Just the timing, idle and air mix. It's close. I noticed in your pics the gap between the modules on yours is before 12 o'clock. Mine is after. If yours is timed in that pick, then I think i am way advanced.

Yep, it was timed properly there and good for about 115mph (then Brendon 'got scared' as he's never been that fast on any bike before)
You need to put a strobe on it and check full advance, I think I restricted advance about 3 degrees (welded a blob on stops and filed it back down)

irk miller said:
Dude. I have more than two months to fuck something up. Give it time. Something will break- if not now, in Kiley's driveway.
That really made me laugh but on a serious note it looks cool. I usually try to leave all of my open ends to get done the night before I leave for a trip when I should be packing.

Slowly whittling down final bits. I don't think I want it any prettier. At some point, I need to pull the swing arm and paint it.

ea7a89fec76af0fbcc034e9e69d782b1.jpg

2b76f7a652381bf43b36bb8d8b3ccb7d.jpg

81692d92aa0c944ea641a686ea15fd0b.jpg

7a5d632cdbdef3c58b9274bc9d0100c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Much thanks.

So, of course, within no time the stock lamp burns out. A while ago, I bought this New Fashion LED for when I street my DR. Ya know, because fashion. Anyhoo, instead of buying a new lamp I decided to covert the stock sealed beam to this LED.

c05f4066cd8dd105641156a3617362a1.jpg

Who cares about being neat. Cut the fucker off and break the bulb.

113278dbd6cdf7be7c0e597ea387ea4d.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the hole or the lamp, but the hole is oblong and the lamp has grooves machined in it, which allowed a nice tight twist-lock.

ad327cc00b39dacf9311114b89445478.jpg

66b1ffb1a78eda9f8d73bbad07e7722d.jpg

080f2bbc57c7ad2e4fade08a86911e90.jpg

21d2b31e92553c9e3fa42710d4f5eb8f.jpg

Those pics look very dtt botm esque. Seriously, this thing is cool

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I used a hole saw to cut reflector when I converted to 35/35 H4 bulbs. Still had to break bulb to get it out but H$ was a pretty good fit so JB Welded it in place as I coulnt be bothered to hunt down the bulb holders I acquired a few years ago (and put 'safe' ::) )

Leds have a very different beam pattern a require a mirror and lens and normally a reflector that actually put the light where it needs to.

I love you ingenuity but brighter isn't better. A lot of science and research goes into sealed beams to perform with the incandescent bulb in them. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you might find that the reflector scatters the light more than focuses on the road in from of you. It's all about cutoff and focusing on the ground in front of you where the road is coming at speed. If you don't plan on using it at night, it will probably do great as a drl but I dunno if I would trust it for a night ride.

I have done tons of led and HID retrofits, when I first got into it I thought it was as simple a bulb swaps, but there is so much more.

Head over to the retrofit source and read up on some of the forums, there's tons of great info and quite a bit of moto related threads. A lot of guys are really knowledgeable. If you email the guys at the store, they are always more than happy to help and "dumb down" some of the science to help you make proper purchases and they are amazing in the customer support side

The store
https://www.theretrofitsource.com

The forum
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

dakine_surf said:
Leds have a very different beam pattern a require a mirror and lens and normally a reflector that actually put the light where it needs to.

I love you ingenuity but brighter isn't better. A lot of science and research goes into sealed beams to perform with the incandescent bulb in them. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but you might find that the reflector scatters the light more than focuses on the road in from of you. It's all about cutoff and focusing on the ground in front of you where the road is coming at speed. If you don't plan on using it at night, it will probably do great as a drl but I dunno if I would trust it for a night ride.

I have done tons of led and HID retrofits, when I first got into it I thought it was as simple a bulb swaps, but there is so much more.

Head over to the retrofit source and read up on some of the forums, there's tons of great info and quite a bit of moto related threads. A lot of guys are really knowledgeable. If you email the guys at the store, they are always more than happy to help and "dumb down" some of the science to help you make proper purchases and they are amazing in the customer support side

The store
https://www.theretrofitsource.com

The forum
https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/

Thanks, but I've had that stuff bookmarked for years. This isn't the first time I've done this. Have you ever ridden a 1974 CB360 with a stock lamp? Testing has proven it to be much better than stock. It's not intended to be permanent anyway. I'll probably convert to the 35/35 halogen. I appreciate the ad, they're 9012 is not far off in price from what the 35w halogen goes for.

Yeah I have a stock 71 350 and I know the lighting sucks... but I don't really ride it at night because of that.

I have retrofitted a couple BMW and Toyota led projectors into cheapo eBay clear lens (sealed beam replacement) housing with great results.

I used to work for CREE and that's what got me into led swaps and retrofits in the first place I headed a team that looked into providing the oem's with led headlight technology, but we ended up passing on it and now focus strictly on providing the chips.

dakine_surf said:
Yeah I have a stock 71 350 and I know the lighting sucks... but I don't really ride it at night because of that.

No excuse for how good or bad this setup is, but this bike won't see much night riding either. I'm building it mostly to plod around local national forest fire roads and sand roads. Most of the rural roads and swamp roads around here are sand or gravel. There are some great places to get to, but sketchy as hell on most bikes.

Back
Top Bottom