1978 Suzuki GS750 racer project

Here's a stock set on eBay for $50. Claims there is no pitting. Only thing concerning me now is I appear to have 1" over what factory says.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Suzuki-GS750E-Front-Forks-/351594136545?hash=item51dca4c3e1:g:HfsAAOSwp5JWXlaJ&vxp=mtr

What's the likelihood of the bike having had different forks fitted? My V50 as stock has Guzzi own 32mm stanchioned forks, but it has 35mm stanchioned Marzocchi's, that no one knows what bike they came from, fitted instead (I've just ordered a Guzzi 35mm stanchion that is a few mm too long, if it fits in every way except length, I'll chop a few mm off it). Could be similar for you? Best to try to work out as many details as possible - like the manufacturer and see what you can find. LOTS of time spent trawling google might help - although $50 isn't a lot, and while I'm sure it'll change the damping slightly, different fork oil could fix that. (I'm no fork expert though)

Weasel said:
Yes, and one side was leaking when I bought the bike. I cleaned up the top tube in the pic but the pits went too deep.

90D3A097-8D5F-4FC9-A54D-CD2F7DFE3B4A.jpg

Ahh ok. If its not too bad, and you can't get hold of replacement (always preferable), i've seen people have success with just polishing the pits slightly so there are no raised sections to distort the oil seal.

I've even seen people fill them with JB weld and sand them down flush...not that I would recommend that.

Polishing and cutting could likely get acceptable results with the right equipment & skill but I'll just stick with replacing with good or new condition tubes. If I was just cleaning up a beater to ride around, I'd accept the ugly forks I have as long as they didn't leak. But I'm going for a little higher quality look and my OCD just won't allow me to live with certain blemishes.

:p

DohcBikes said:
Yep, I think i do have a nice pair of stanchions that would work for you if you are interested. They have some MINOR pitting between the clamps but NONE below the lower clamp. I'll get back to you by mid week.

Thanks Dohc, much appreciated. Got your PM.

Thanks Kiwi. I'm pretty happy with them.

I'm trying to go for a racer look and make some upgrades for performance but I'm also trying to avoid chopping the bike at all if I can. It's a little rough now but it would be nice to retain all the factory specs in case I ever decide to turn it back to stock. Without any frame modifications, beyond removing the stock rear fender/cowl, the total length from the tank to the end of the frame is approx. 29".

After a lot of searching, I found this seat pan that is 30" in length. It should get me the look without having to chop the frame. I like the idea of the separate cushion/pad base that will allow me to customize the upholstery & padding. As I said, I'm after the racer look but I also want to be able to ride this thing semi-comfortably. I'll keep the stock pegs and try the drag bars and see how the comfort, functionality and looks go together.

image.jpeg

Going to release a new workout/comedy video. I call it "Watch this idiot try to remove old tires in his garage with zero tire removing tools."

;D ;D ;D

B15D561E-0054-4CD1-A1C2-9BCABC021174.jpg

CBAC3B3C-0AB3-406F-82EF-5A7AFAE5F3AC.jpg

Weasel said:
Going to release a new workout/comedy video. I call it "Watch this idiot try to remove old tires in his garage with zero tire removing tools."

;D ;D ;D
Too late already got my agent working on that

Weasel said:
After contacting several chrome shops, I talked to one who said no problem. I have to stop by so he can see the forks before giving me a quote.

My fork seals & steering bearings showed up today along with a halo headlamp with black housing. It's a 5.75" diameter and will look way better on my minimalist front end than the big 7" stocker.

B751BC29-F483-43B6-AF06-ACD2E9887504.jpg

5B532386-B28F-4371-8AE2-E308CD735EDE.jpg

where do i find one of these puppies?

I just wanted to post and tell you that I really like your thread. I will be watching to see what and how you do it. Keep up the great work!

dannywrx88 said:
where do i find one of these puppies?

eBay. I had to buy the housing and light separately since the Octane halo light doesn't come with a housing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Gloss-Black-Halogen-Headlight-Clear-Lens-High-Beam-indicator/191787182265?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35217%26meid%3Dba6ed7bfe32c443cbbe9dc2381d11447%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D191785734378

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231132005560?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ekalf33 said:
I just wanted to post and tell you that I really like your thread. I will be watching to see what and how you do it. Keep up the great work!

Thank you. I got all the correct valve shims in and within specs. I'm picking up a bunch of parts from powder coat on Monday, including the valve/cam cover done in flat black. I should have the engine all back together and tuned up next week. My seat pan should be here any day now.

Seat pan arrived today. I think the longer pan looks great with the stock tank. Not overly impressed with the quality, the plastic is a little thinner than I expected. I'll probably have to reinforce it underneath, which shouldn't be too hard.

My hope of not altering the frame won't happen now. At 29.5 inches long, this is the longest pan I have been able to find. The good news is it will only be a small alteration to the very ends of the frame beyond the support cross member.

870F787D-DEA5-4229-AB7B-56E021804A06.jpg

1DC5600E-2FE4-44F9-B3B7-DB01C3487F6B.jpg

D536CDA1-28B0-43BE-83E5-031EFD6802ED.jpg

I also love these old Suzuki's. I have been watching this one on a couple forums. I am looking forward to see how this turns out.

Looking good, Weasel! I didn't realize you were on DTT as well. Like I said on GSR, that seat pan looks really really good on that bike, goes real well with the tank.

You sticking with the stock exhaust for now? Exhaust is something you can upgrade later, easy bolt on, sorta... If you have the carbs apart now, it's a lot easier to just raise the needle 1 clip higher (move clip down in slots to move needle up) and drop in 4-5 sizes bigger main jets for starters, maybe 6 sizes bigger to be safe. The MAC 4:1 with the stock baffle sounds like a louder version of the original exhaust, and is advertised as not needing rejetting. the Vance and Hines has a much better aggressive tone, but will require bigger jets for sure over stock. V&H slightly nicer chrome and more ground clearance. MAC - I rashed mine all up dragging it in tight right hand turns in the hills.

Back
Top Bottom