Restoring vintage helmet liners.

Useful Idiot

Been Around the Block
Just picked up this sweet baby for 20 bucks. The foam on the inside is turning to dust and leaving my head full of it.
I'm in the process of putting new foam in the top, but can any of you give me some tips for the side foam? \
I'm planning on blowing it out with my shop vac then laying down a serious layer of Aqua Net.

Thanks

P4110004.jpg

P4110001.jpg

in.jpg

I just got some old foam and cut that to match what i wanted... shaved it down with heavy grit paper and glued it in... works great! i can post some pics if oyu would like?

I think he is talking about the soft black foam that cushions your head from the harder white foam. I have several helmets w/ this problem. They leave black sticky dust all over your head...

Louis

Twenty bucks for an Arthur Fulmer is one helluva score. I use camp bedding foam to reconstruct my liners.

Damn dude. Good eye!

Can you give me some background on these helmets? links?

JRK: did you just cut all the old foam out and replace it with new stuff?

yes i did...
i got 2 of these helmets from a buddy, matcing red heavy flake... love them! rebuilt the inside of both... ill get some pics tonight for you

I like auto headliner material. It's real cheap and it has a layer of foam bonded to it. Looks and works great!

You can do it all yourself, but for just a few bucks you can have that puppy relined at an uphostery shop. They can even replace the button studs. Cafefully strip the helmet, drill out the rusty button studs. Be carefull with the rubber edge trim, plain black is easy to come by, but the stuff with the chrome strip isnt. Do your Paint work. Then take the liner, this will provide th pattern, and the helmet in to a shop. Should be no more than $50 bucks probably alot cheapper depending on your area. Oh take good pics so the shop has a refrence if needed.

that is awesome! i am going to check that out... i have two matching helmets! i want to have one done to keep inside as show thanks!!!

I ended up taking a liner out of one of my old skateboard helmets and sticking it to the top. I sprayed Aqua Net on the sides.

worked like a champ.

Back
Top Bottom