The unicycle, xr600/cb500t bratard

Hurco550

Keep er' Between the Ditches
DTT SUPPORTER
DTT BOTM WINNER
I decided that i didnt have enough projects going on, and since i never finish any, it must be time to start another one. Thanks to my buddy ridesolo, i havent been able to get the idea of a large cc thumper motor in an old cb frame outta my head. Its been done before, and it has gone around on this site and some others. There is a lady in Australia that shoe horned a xr600 motor into a cb360. I have been pretty consumed by the idea, and actively searching for a donor motor. I found one in Maryland on CL, and one of the great DTT members is gonna bring it up to me at Mid Ohio this summer. I was planning on putting the engine in my cb550 project, but after some looking and thinking i decided that its far from the "ideal" frame. I have an old cb500t frame from a part out, that if i can procure a title, will be much better suited because of using a top motor mount and having a single down tube frame.

I am going to rob some of the parts that i have already rebuilt and bought off of the 550 project and put them on the 500t frame, the biggest being the front end (i think it will swap out) I have lost all ambition on that project, just to have another cb550 four like many others =P (not knocking the bike, or you if you have one, its just not what im diggin right now)

As stated in the title, it will be a brat type build, (called it a bratard to pay homage the the ever wise xb33bsa) =) fairly flat seat, if i try to motorcross it, the rear tire may bump the fender, and it will be best suited running around town, pulling wheelies (hence the name unicycle) and having enough torque to pull out a stump. I am not building the bike to drag knees and push to the handling limit. I know many of you dont like this style, and think it is not functional. If you are one of these ppl, ive read many of your other posts harping on the same thing over and over again, so i pretty much got it. That said, i dont wanna die right away, so ima shy away from firestone champion deluxe tires, and it will have a fork brace ect ect. I am not much for drinking and riding, but for all intents and purposes, this will be a bar hopper type bike, and will be as well suited for the road or better than a hardtail bobber.

anyways, had to get the gt250 off of the table to make room for the frame.
07b59fea5a89d723d344a0dcab662316.jpg

Here she is, the blank canvas for my thumper=)
b89974b20b48d19b1b44333f3f861650.jpg

bf2f93e49119a95af7d75ca4724759c1.jpg

And here is the lump. I am getting the engine, carbs, some ignition stuff, and the exhaust (which will probably end up getting hacked up) it is all there supposedly, less the cam. It had the dreaded early xr600 oiling problem in the head and wiped the cam bearings. He bought another used head for it, but has not ever put it back together.
da72a5404e0a8394f459bf297106fec9.jpg

d23b347bc6d49926cf65fd9183e9071f.jpg

e269526b10d07d23610bd01445ca257e.jpg

This is very close to how i want the style of the bike to end up. not a copy but close. As stated above, i will not be having the gripless ballon tires and there will be other need equipment ( fork brace and probably turn signals) but i can dig the clean look of this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMRX6luox_Q

Gotta love four tens and a 3 day weekend.

As of a bit ago, my cb550 project now looks like this
941c01fb10a888297549d1dd6bd33c1e.jpg

500t frame got the tapered neck bearing treatment from all balls
ec7a0040d2fe08c433e69e606b7619e4.jpg

And just like magic, I have a roller again. Cb550 front end fit right on (as I hoped it would)
392528e4c24ab730846cf6b7d868b9f8.jpg

777483059f66de3e83564caefe6296ab.jpg

Gotta tell ya, I'm getting pretty jazzed about this bike

Spent some time this evening doing a little "de-tabbing". Pretty much just removed the seat hinge mounts, seat lock and passenger peg mounts (this will be a one up machine). Don't want to cut more away til I'm sure of what I want gone. I just sat this seat on it, and I'm not sure it's what I wanna go with.

1da7d3b7cdf1c19c603809d694bf64c8.jpg

39ff67bd82c0621bed752e1bc2c7d83a.jpg

988f381ba2205f6ee6986751de05003c.jpg

hurco550 said:
I decided that i didnt have enough projects going on, and since i never finish any, it must be time to start another one. Thanks to my buddy ridesolo, i havent been able to get the idea of a large cc thumper motor in an old cb frame outta my head.

Hmmm so, somehow I'm going to get the blame for this? ;D

Looking good buddy. Once I find the XR500 (or 600) lump for the CL360 Ninja it may become a "CL500 Ninja". :eek:

ridesolo said:

Hmmm so, somehow I'm going to get the blame for this? ;D
Looking good buddy. Once I find the XR500 (or 600) lump for the CL360 Ninja it may become a "CL500 Ninja". :eek:

Haha yes. When you were first telling me about that 350/600 swap that girl did I remember thinking "why would you ever wanna trade 2 cylinders for 1" haha now I know why =) So yes I blame you =) nothing wrong with that though.

IDK I guess this one will be an cb600S lol

I think if we can both pull it off we'll have a nice comparison of styles; yours the Tracker/Brat style w/ flat seat, upright seating, and handlebars and mine w/ cafe seat, rear sets, & clipons. It would be a lot of fun to compare the different feel of the two bikes w/ essentially the same engine.

ridesolo said:
I think if we can both pull it off we'll have a nice comparison of styles; yours the Tracker/Brat style w/ flat seat, upright seating, and handlebars and mine w/ cafe seat, rear sets, & clipons. It would be a lot of fun to compare the different feel of the two bikes w/ essentially the same engine.

Yep agreed. You just need to find an engine. With my luck youll find one at Mid-O that's running for less than what I paid for mine hahaha. It will be a neat comparison though

the xr600 frame is on a different planet better construction than an old cb frame you would be so much better off modding the xr frame besides it has the oil innit as well

xb33bsa said:
the xr600 frame is on a different planet better construction than an old cb frame you would be so much better off modding the xr frame besides it has the oil innit as well

True, I will stiffen it up some. I know the girl that put one in her 350 frame hasn't had any issue with the frame its self. The other thing is I don't have a xr600 frame, and that's not really what im going for. I like the idea of a vintage bike with a high torque motor in it, not a speed machine, but a neat old round town thumper. I don't want an enduro (which tends to do both dirt and road bad, not good). I would rather start with a streetbike and keep it on the street.... well hopefully... se signature below. And the oil tank is no big deal, ill just fab one up and throw it under the seat =)

xb33bsa said:

The DTTREOEKTM speaks, imagine that.

Did a little more cutting and smoothing on the un needed frame tabs, and mounted the headlight. Still not sure on the seat. Kinda not diggin the "cafe bump" look with the super bike bars on this one... hmmm
44d07c4f37885625abdce54825850ef3.jpg

f430b3927ef226ed44c0279216572012.jpg

DesertKZ said:
I love the superbike bars, run them on all of my bikes. Coming along nicely!

Thanks man! The bars are staying. I have tried clip ons, but they just arent for me. I am much more comfortable upright with my feet under me in the more "standard bike" riding position.

hurco550 said:
Still not sure on the seat. Kinda not diggin the "cafe bump" look with the super bike bars on this one... hmmm

The effect looks pretty good on the Australian bike... A bird in the hand..." :D

ridesolo said:
The effect looks pretty good on the Australian bike... A bird in the hand..." :D

Actually that's part of the reason I kinda want a different one. .I don't wanna end up looking like a "copy" of that one lol

Back
Top Bottom