Vintage Privateer Smoker (RD350 Race Bike)

Yeah, stock 28s. So 34s would need bigger jets than the 28s for sure. I was looking at hvccycle and their jetting recommendations are higher than I'm running as well. I'm gonna go bigger before I start going WOT. Being on the lowest clip isn't right so it's obviously off.

That being said, your jetting method is backwards from everything I've ever been taught. Start with the pilot by adjusting A/F, then move to the needle, then last touch the main.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bike I referred to had the same pipes as yours and had stock 28 mm carbs. That bike needed surprisingly large mains to run properly which is why I made the suggestion thinking yours might be similar. As far as having a coherent jetting process, it makes no sense whatever to do the main jets last as they have a big effect on the rest of the system so that alone would be reason enough to start with them. Otherwise, why would you not solve the most potentially injurious system first to eliminate the problem?

Idle first
Mains next
needle last

The needle and needle jet effectively control flow from the main jet at part throttle, so it has to the right size for top end first.

I ran 240 on my last street RD400 just as a point of reference and it had stock pipes some other interesting mods. Start safe (large) on the mains and work down and then use needle setting to get throttle fueling right.

We spent about 2 hours swapping jets around and we landed on 210s. It's running really well from a feel perspective, need to get some plug chops in. The only big issue left is the shifter, it's just really stiff. Will have to play around with it and see if I get any good movement.

That being said, she won best Japanese Cafe Racer at barber.

Attachments

• IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 685
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    987.1 KB · Views: 285
Flugtechnik said:
It looks even better in person. Well done Jordan!

It really does. It seems like sometimes bikes look better in pics and when you see them in person they are a bit of a let down. This one really does look better up close. Well deserved win! Great job Jordan.

Went out and snapped a few quick pics, never had the time over the weekend to really take any. VJMC wanted one to put in an article they are writing about Ace Corner. Wife also flipped out on me, guess the petcock is leaking out of the selector. Its brand new so i'll have to see if Dime City will send me a replacement. This means i'll either have to drain all the gas, or put it out in back of the shed (she deserves better). Ran a WOT plug chop, it looked a slight rich but not to bad. Im going to ride it some some to ensure a good break in then drop back down to a 200 main where it was. My only issue there was that it was on the lowest clip on the needle, so i might have to look into getting some different needles.

Attachments

• IMG_5181 2.jpg
    IMG_5181 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 287
  • IMG_5178 2.jpg
    IMG_5178 2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 287
Fantastic finish to ya project worth the hard work & headaches she's a stunner bet she sounds and smells as good as she looks haha enjoy riding those wheels mate

yorkie350 said:
Fantastic finish to ya project worth the hard work & headaches she's a stunner bet she sounds and smells as good as she looks haha enjoy riding those wheels mate

Thanks, she still has a few kinks to work out, but it's good enough to ride the rest of the season.

Back
Top Bottom