Winter project .... Direction advice

Mcgoo

Been Around the Block
I just picked up a 1978 KZ1000 for a winter project. The bike is currently running but not moving. It will need a full strip down to see what's going on in the transmission, and along the way I'll get a chance to make sure the rest of the engine is in good shape. That's a project in itself, but assuming I can get the bike in good running shape, where should I go from there?
There are some obvious flaws, it's missing one of the front rotors ans calipers, and the air box is already swapped out for pods. and it needs the usual cleaning, lubricating, bearings etc.
I'm curious about the group consensus on these bikes. Would it be sacrelidge to go in a cafe direction, perhaps with a front end and swingarm swap. Or should it be a restoration, to save one of these bikes in an improved stock form?
I really like the builds that Wrenchmonkeys did on these bikes, but also like some restoration jobs that I have seen.
Any advice is welcome, although I know I'm a long way from making any real direction decisions. Gotta get the thing running right first.
Thanks in advance!

I think the race-bike look in those years is perfect, muscular but sleek. And all the bikes didn't look alike in race livery. 8)

The KZ1000 in my avatar was done the same way, other than the swaps you spoke of. I say tear it down and do what you want with it, there's enough KZ1000's out there. Unless it was a Z1 or something, build it the way you want!

Make sure you change the tac seal and also the rubber plug that leads into the stator, the two biggest leak areas on the KZ.

Check out kzrider.com and also Z1enterprises for parts. Post up some pics!

KZ1000's are great projects! :)

If it's a '78 it's not a 'j' model though. Unless the engine is swapped from newer model. 8)

I have a few old Kz's and it really depends on the bike current condition as to what direction I would take. Any pics to help us out?

Later, Doug

That's good news! Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to getting into this bike soon - here are some pictures. Drewski - It is a '78 - I don't think its a LTD - can you tell what model it is? I assumed it was a J but I can't find anything else - the title just says KZ1000.

IMG_20141017_220208.jpg

IMG_20141018_172217.jpg

Looks to be an "A2" model with LTD wheels and seat. Its pretty close to being stock. Seeing that picture, I would just ride it and not chop/butcher it at all. Too nice of a bike to perform permanent alterations to. But that's just my opinion.

Later, Doug

Also, I think the A2 models only had a single front caliper. You may not be missing the rotor and caliper at all. Kawasaki had the mounts and holes for the right side but never installed them on some models.

Later, Doug

Doug - Thanks for helping with identification - it's also good to know about the caliper - the holes for the mount are there on the fork leg, I assumed it was missing. I'm not a fan of the wheels on this bike- I may try to score some spoke rims at some point. I'm going to hold off on any decisions about modifications until I can get the transmission sorted.
Thanks again! I'll start a build thread when I get into the motor - I may need more advice as I go along.

Nice A2 there.
As mentioned above, there were a LOT of these made, so do what works for you. They are not terribly precious.

Lots of cool period rest-mod options, however.
Remember to watch the original Mad Max film and the Aussie film "Stone" for inspiration.

There is a HUGE Z following in Germany, and lots of streetfighter conversions with ZRX swingarms and USD front end swaps.
From mild to wild, the KZ1000 is a great canvas to get creative on.

If you will be into the motor, look into the roller bearing cam rollers available at Z1enterprises as well as the needle bearing clutch pusher upgrade. Worthwhile improvements.
Those motors were around 76hp stock, and depending on your budget can be pushed into the 115+hp without too much effort.
If you intend to get aggressive riding it, look up the frame bracing that the road racers did (and still do) as the frame is fairly flexible if you get aggressive.

Enjoy!

What a good looking KZ! If it were mine, I'd swap the seat out for a ducktail, add some superbike bars and call it a day. Damn, I need another KZ now....

Looks like the boys have got you squared away just fine! :D

Nice starting point you've got there. A blank canvas ready to see some applied inspiration!! 8)

Streetfighterkz said:
Looks to be an "A2" model with LTD wheels and seat. Its pretty close to being stock. Seeing that picture, I would just ride it and not chop/butcher it at all. Too nice of a bike to perform permanent alterations to. But that's just my opinion.

Later, Doug

Agreed. :)

The A2 came with spoked 18" rear and 19" front. You can still swap to dual disk using the spoked wheels. They would look good on the bike, and you can pick them up for fairly cheap.

70's / 80's Race rep with wire spoked wheels - has to be. 8)

Restore ????????????? Behave yourself. ;)

beachcomber said:
70's / 80's Race rep with wire spoked wheels - has to be. 8)

Restore ????????????? Behave yourself. ;)

Yep - I think that's the way I'm leaning - I've scavenged a front and rear hub, in great shape, from ebay, came off a 1977 A1 but they'll work and they polished up nicely. I'm sizing up Buchanan's for the spokes and sun rims, but Jeeez they're pricy - I think it will be worth it though. Also scored a new complete transmission that came out of a drag bike - all in good shape and already undercut - for $10.
I'm strongly tempted to go with a 1075 bore with a taller cam, bigger carbs and a ported head - if I do that then the bike will be a crazy horse - It's all a matter of budget at this point though. I got the bike cheap and the parts I've scored so far are cheap too.
I think I've decided against a front end swap - it just drops the pipes too low to the ground on these bikes - great for a CB550 but not so much for big KZs - probably will go for new springs, oil and racetech emulators though. I will be looking for a beefier swing arm, and am considering some selective frame bracing.

Again - none of this is cast in stone - my garage will be getting a clean-up this weekend so I can get a look a the engine/trans to see what's going on. ;D

Mcgoo said:
Yep - I think that's the way I'm leaning - I've scavenged a front and rear hub, in great shape, from ebay, came off a 1977 A1 but they'll work and they polished up nicely. I'm sizing up Buchanan's for the spokes and sun rims, but Jeeez they're pricy - I think it will be worth it though. Also scored a new complete transmission that came out of a drag bike - all in good shape and already undercut - for $10.
I'm strongly tempted to go with a 1075 bore with a taller cam, bigger carbs and a ported head - if I do that then the bike will be a crazy horse - It's all a matter of budget at this point though. I got the bike cheap and the parts I've scored so far are cheap too.
I think I've decided against a front end swap - it just drops the pipes too low to the ground on these bikes - great for a CB550 but not so much for big KZs - probably will go for new springs, oil and racetech emulators though. I will be looking for a beefier swing arm, and am considering some selective frame bracing.

Again - none of this is cast in stone - my garage will be getting a clean-up this weekend so I can get a look a the engine/trans to see what's going on. ;D

Cast in stone - fuck me, if I'd had to chisel out new directions every time during a build - there'd just be a great big fuck off pile of stonedust and no stone !!

Yeah, keep the forks ....... get that Race Retro look going [ 24 hrs racers ]. Just get the bits you've got working to the best of their ability - it was good enough for racing in the day.

beachcomber said:
get that Race Retro look going [ 24 hrs racers ]. Just get the bits you've got working to the best of their ability - it was good enough for racing in the day.

Kind of like this ...

side.jpg

Back
Top Bottom