1987 GPz305 "Goldie"

Back at this weekend. Yesterday I removed the carbs, so that I can clean them up. They were pretty filthy. The pilot jets had a bunch of gunk on them. If I can figure out how to remove the damn airbox without taking the back tire off, I'll do that today, as well. Also going to test out some paint colors on the cowl, which I may or may not keep on the bike.

I need to figure out what to do for a seat! Should I try to modify and reupholster my existing seat? This would allow me to keep using the cowl, which is a convenient space to store a battery, or tools. The other option is to make my own seat pan out of a skateboard. Either way, I plan on sewing the seat cover myself, which should be an interesting experiment.

I will post up some pics later...

Good to see someone else on the Gpz 305 trail, there's a few of us now working on little Gpz's. 8)

Yellow is my favorite color, so I'll be painting one of my Gpz's yellow, maybe the dragbike.

Okay, here are some pics of what I have been working on...

Here are some before and after shots of the carbs. They were covered in some type of primordial black ooze. I used vinegar to clean most everything off, then I sprayed it all down with some carb cleaner. After a couple hours, I wiped everything down with a damp rag, then I gave everything a light coat of WD40.

Attachments

• carbs gunk.jpg
    carbs gunk.jpg
    654.3 KB · Views: 383
  • Carbs before and after.jpg
    Carbs before and after.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 405
  • carbs after.jpg
    carbs after.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 439
Since I am planning on removing the airbox and using pod filters, I rebuilt the carbs with slightly larger main jets.

The factory main jet size is #95. Since the increments on Keihin jets go up by 3 or 2, (instead 2.5 for each increment, as with Mikuni carbs), the next two sizes are #98 and #100. I ordered some #100 and #102 size main jets, and I installed the #100s.

I haven't turned the bike on, yet, but I will see how that turns out this weekend. I also spent some time trying to remove the airbox from the bike. I wasn't sure, but it looked like the battery box was bolted onto the monoshock. I didn't want to fuck with that! So, I PM'd WarpedWorm, a member of this forum who is working on several GPz305 projects. He sent me back some pictures that show how he removed the box. It was relaly helpful and I greatly appreciated it.

Unfortunately, it didn't really work out as I had planned...

Attachments

• Airbox aftermath.jpg
    Airbox aftermath.jpg
    785.4 KB · Views: 413
  • Tool of choice.jpg
    Tool of choice.jpg
    743.4 KB · Views: 400
  • Airbox stuck.jpg
    Airbox stuck.jpg
    760.3 KB · Views: 418
  • dirty jets.jpg
    dirty jets.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 400
Once the airbox was out, I put the carbs back on the bike. What a difference! One amazing thing about this bike is that a lot of the electronics are already tucked away in smart little spots around the frame. The only thing that's really left after taking the airbox out is the battery box. I just have to find a clever place to stick a new battery and that whole area will be empty.

Attachments

• Carbs on.jpg
    Carbs on.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 389
Now that the carbs were back on, I had to see what it looked like with the tank and seat.

Holy shnickies! It looks like a different bike! I think I'm going to ditch the cowl, entirely! It was a good place to hide an absorbed glass mat battery, but I just love the way it looks so much without it. I am going to have to chop the frame and do some welding, I guess. But, I am really excited about the new direction for this bike. For me next post, I will have to revise my checklist.

I think I've settled on a burgundy color, for the bike. I love the way it looks without that front fender, too. So, I am going to look into either replacing that fender or modifying it so it's much smaller.

Attachments

• Mockup.jpg
    Mockup.jpg
    702.1 KB · Views: 417
Oh yeah, I drove out to Burnaby Kawasaki yesterday and picked this up. Finally! This should put an end to a lot of the guess work that's been happening.

Attachments

• Goldie Manual.jpg
    Goldie Manual.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 436
after all that you managed to find a manual locally? hahaha thats awesome man. Bike does look better without all the plastic on it as well.

You do realize that was the only intact Gpz 305 airbox in the entire world!! ;)

Time to revisit my checklist....

Workshop Manual
  • Buy it[/li]

Oil
  • Change Oil
  • Inspect Oil Pump Drive Sprocket
  • Inspect and clean Oil Strainer

Intake
  • Check for air leaks
  • Disassemble and clean carbs
  • Replace carb boots
  • Remove air box
  • Install pods
  • Rejet carbs

Paint
  • Remove front fender, gas tank, and cowl
  • Sand
  • Choose color
  • Buy DupliColor spray paint
  • Do it this weekend

Seat
  • Get some samples of marine vinyl from upholstery shop
  • Buy foam - this may no longer be necessary
  • Shape foam - ditto
  • Repair sewing machine
  • Sew seat cover
  • Upholster the seat
  • (optional: Order new seat in case I ruin everything)
  • (optional: Skateboard seat pan)

Engine Covers
  • Clean or sand these down (currently covered in dirt and gunk)
  • Replace gaskets, if I can find them

Header
  • Order DEI Titanium heat wrap
  • Wrap headers

Exhaust
  • Check exhaust exchange for rattle Yup, still rattling
  • Cut exhaust pipes and remove some of the baffling - Doing that this weekend!

Tail light
  • Order a new tail light with integrated turn signals
  • Install tail light

Gauges
  • Go to bent bike and find a new Speedo/Tach - FAIL
  • Replace instrument panel with new shit - I had no idea this shit was so expensive.
  • OR - build a new housing for the existing instruments
  • Find LEDs for neutral and turn signal indicators
  • Find a cool housing for the fuel gauge

Bars
  • Flip bars
  • Find new grips
  • Buy or make new control switches

Dat Gap
  • Cut Fender
  • Move battery
  • Move stater - Unnecessary
  • Move regulator rectifier - Unnecessary
  • Remove belt guard
  • Remove center stand

Frame
  • Chop the back - Hopefully this weekend?
  • Weld on a loop
  • Cut off all the excess crap
  • Grind down rough parts
  • Sand and Paint

warpedworm said:
You do realize that was the only intact Gpz 305 airbox in the entire world!! ;)
D4N63R said:
could have sold that on ebay for like 46 million doll hairs!

I, too, was disappointed with my behaviour. Had I taken the time to properly remove the air box, I would have learned more about my bike, and possibly been $48 richer. With that said, breaking it with a hammer was immensely satisfying. 8)

Okay, things have been moving along this week. I chopped my tail, chopped my mufflers. I painted my tank and fender (most of the way). My bike is starting to look the way I want, but I still have to tune the carbs to get it running properly. Since I started painting my gas tank, I am not going to be able to do that for a while. In the meantime, I get to satisfy myself with cosmetic changes.

One thing that had been bothering me from the beginning was the rattle in the right muffler. WarpedWorm gave me some advice on where to make the cuts, so I put a cutting disc on the angle grinder and got to work.

Attachments

• Cutting.jpg
    Cutting.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 356
  • Enahust Interior.jpg
    Enahust Interior.jpg
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 403
  • Exhaust tips.jpg
    Exhaust tips.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 379
  • Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 348
Next, I chopped the tail end off my frame.

Attachments

• Tail left side.jpg
    Tail left side.jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Tail Chopped.jpg
    Tail Chopped.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 382
  • Chopped Mockup.jpg
    Chopped Mockup.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 371
Then I started painting the gas tank, and fender. The fender has a few coats of satin black, now. A big improvement over the yellow. I may finish it with matte black. I'm also considering blacking out the rims. And if I remove the wheels, that gives me an excuse to clean up the swing arm and maybe even paint it.

I scuffed up the paint on the fender and the gas tank with 120 grit sand paper. There were quite a few spots where the paint had bubbled, or chipped away. Some rust spots. I sanded everything smooth, and wiped it down with a damp cloth.

I used a full can of the duplicolor "todeador", which was about 10 light coats on the gas tank. Next time I get at it, I'll wet sand it, and then paint it again. And sand, and paint, and sand, and paint.

I'm going to buy some gold paint and brush "Goldie" on the side of the tank. I guess I'll have to practice that a bunch, so I get it right.

Attachments

• Tank4.jpg
    Tank4.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Tank3.jpg
    Tank3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 351
  • Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 417
  • Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 350
The petcock was pretty grungy. Not sure what that means. I am going to have to clean the inside of my tank, I guess. I need to grind the tabs off the side of it, too. I used a wire brush attachment on my dremel to clean up the metal parts of the petcock. But, I forgot to take a picture of it, after it was cleaned.

I also added a picture of how she's looking with the new tank and fender colors. I'm also happy with how the seat looks, now that the tail has been chopped. I'll probably trim some heights off of the front of the seat, when I sew my own cover. But, I will definitely try to maintain the overall shape.

Attachments

• Dirty Petcock.jpg
    Dirty Petcock.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Goldie Mockup.jpg
    Goldie Mockup.jpg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 582
Do longer stokes, all in the same direction, then angle them for the next coat and continue on that way next time you do the tank. That will help eliminate the tiger stripe effect. I would advise against going full flat black on the fender. After a bit of time flat black gets a white haze to it and looks like poo.

bike is coming along well though :) keep at it.

The GF will take the Enfield, and i'll take that red Suzuki from your pics hahahaha

D4N63R said:
Do longer stokes, all in the same direction, then angle them for the next coat and continue on that way next time you do the tank. That will help eliminate the tiger stripe effect. I would advise against going full flat black on the fender. After a bit of time flat black gets a white haze to it and looks like poo.

bike is coming along well though :) keep at it.

The GF will take the Enfield, and i'll take that red Suzuki from your pics hahahaha

Thanks, D4N63R. I appreciate the advice on matte black paint. I was growing partial to the semi-gloss, anyway. The tank has a bunch of runs and tons of blotches. I am going to sand it down next time I get at it, and hopefully apply a more consistent layer of paint.

The Enfield has been a lot of trouble for my friend. He has been hunting down an errant electrical problem for several weeks, and he finally sorted it out this evening. Hopefully!! I took it for a rip after it was fixed and I gained a lot of appreciation for that machine. It pulls nice and hard, rides extremely comfortably, and looks amazing. I don't know if I'll ever get an Enfield, but it was a blast to ride around.

The Suzuki is a GS400e that another friend is working on. It's full-on rocket-stance on that bike. He has been tuning his carbs, since replacing the airbox with pod filters, and he finally got it running well, over the past few days. It's a lot of fun, too :)

Back
Top Bottom