Front Axle Assembly Question

2_DONE_THE_TON

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
so heres the story i put my front axle of my Yam RD bacck together,every step was well documented by me when I took it apart but i can´t tell if the axle is installed properly...

Is it normal that the left side of the axle is just "grabbed" by the holding bracket which is held by 2 nuts...doesnt seem safe :)

there is no "ridge" where the axle would grab onto or something...its jsut grabbed by the holder.

on the right side there´s just the nut.

Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_4263.JPG
    IMG_4263.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_4265.JPG
    IMG_4265.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4266.JPG
    IMG_4266.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4267.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_4268.JPG
    IMG_4268.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_4272.JPG
    IMG_4272.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4273.JPG
    IMG_4273.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 164
that looks right, many a jap bike has that method of axle capture, my bike doesn't even have the 'clamp' thing going on, you just shove the axle through a hole on the bottom of the fork leg and do up the nut when it comes out through the other side of the other leg

it looks like you're still needing a washer behind the axle nut and then a split pin through the end of the axle once its done up

and to end on a positive note, i don't think RD's came that clean from the factory, nice work

that does look right a washer on the nut would be the final thing you need,but could do without
there is a procedure for tightening
with the half clamp nuts loose torque the axle nut,push the front end up and sown a few times to put the forks in alignment then tighten the axle clamp nuts usually the front one all the way down(no gap) then the rear nut
the bike is coming along nicely hope you get some riding in before winter !! :)

xb33bsa said:
that does look right a washer on the nut would be the final thing you need,but could do without
there is a procedure for tightening
with the half clamp nuts loose torque the axle nut,push the front end up and sown a few times to put the forks in alignment then tighten the axle clamp nuts usually the front one all the way down(no gap) then the rear nut
the bike is coming along nicely hope you get some riding in before winter !! :)

what do you mean by sown (maybe typo for spin?)...

how much torque would you apply on the axle nut and the clamp nuts (used stop nuts with plastic ring in it)?

to hear that from you xb is a great compliment!thank you it took me all winter to clean her up and improve stuff....now i´m trying to figure out electrics and brakes....

this is how she sits right now.

Attachments

• IMG_4216.JPG
    IMG_4216.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4220.JPG
    IMG_4220.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 157
there is a good reason for it just being grabbed on one side and LOCATED by the other
the wheel is located by the side with the big axle nut this positions the wheel as close as possible to centerline of the wheel track
the clamp side must be able to clamp in a position that is allowing the forks to be in parallel so they do not bind when stroking,
thus they are not positioned precisely by a shoulder,or pulled together axially, this would be a nearly impossible level of precision for a manufacturer to achieve in production of many units

you would use standard torque values for the M8 nuts my guess is 16-18ftlbs
the axle nut goot n tite :) proly closer to 45-50ftlbs
you should use the yamaha recommended though

xb33bsa said:
ah sown typo for DOWN
man the bike really looks Fantastic !!!

ok man thanks!thank you cant wait to smoke it :)!!

so behind the nut do I need spring-lock washer or just a washer...i will definitely put a cotter pin in the hole of the axle to hold the nut....

another question...i know its another topic but do YOU have experience with that brake setup....

i mocked it up yesterday with all parts in the explosion diagram...new brake pads (brake shoe got rebuilt)...the brake piston is pushed in totally but when i fit it on the rotor and try to put the brake pads in it wont fit.

i dont get it....the whole setup with new pads just wont fit over the rotor....even when the piston is totally pushed in...

these pads have angled surfaces...they are definitely the right ones for this model.

help appreciated :D

Attachments

• IMG_4274.JPG
    IMG_4274.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_4276.JPG
    IMG_4276.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_4277.JPG
    IMG_4277.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4279.JPG
    IMG_4279.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_4258.JPG
    IMG_4258.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4259.JPG
    IMG_4259.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 165
xb33bsa said:
that is because the caliper is swinging as the pads wear

just figured how to install the front setup...pretty easy...is it possible that the brake pads are different front and rear...the brake shoes are 100% same.

the rear still doesnt work...not enough space to fit it without the pads in...maybe i got 2 front pad setups...

just looked up in the part catalog...rear and front pads have same order number.

Back
Top Bottom