CB450 Brakes

TripleKing

Been Around the Block
We got my son's 1970 CB450 through inspection. All brakes are new, but we are still having trouble adjusting the rear brake. When we adjust the brake to have anything close to specified brake travel, we get some brake rubbing. When we adjust to stop rubbing, the lever travel is excessive.

I have a similar problem with the front caliper as well. I have the drag set as far out as it will go, but we still get a a little drag. Brake pads are new so I assume things will get better when they bed/wear in. Only about 50 miles on the new brakes.

on the rear it is probably the lip on the outer edge of the brake drum
this is the area that never wears, a quick fix is to slightly chamfer the edge of the shoes

Maybe, but even if I set it so it rubs, the play is way too much. It is pretty low to begin with. I guess that is my real problem. When your foot is on the peg, the pedal is very low and it is almost beyond the reach of my size 11 foot before rev rear brakes are effective.

simple to verify
...and if the lip is significant enough it will cause extra travel in the pedal before you get hard braking

Back
Top Bottom