1982 CB750F...Better Devil

Saw a beauty of a Triumph over on BikeExif yesterday with pretty much the exact handlebars I'm looking for. A guy there pointed me in the direction of Lowbrow Customs where they sell Emgo repro Triumph bars with a "western" bend, but they're out of stock. Here's what they look like -

eym0xZI.jpg

hmm, they look like...handlebars. Anyway, they're out of stock - I'm on notification for when they're back in, but anyone know where I can look in the meantime? Found a few sets in the UK that'll cost me my shirt in shipping, but not a lot on eBay otherwise. Of if anyone knows of something similar that could absolutely work too.

just did a search on a few sites, they are "sold out" on any that carry them. Do any of the UK sites have the measurements? Bikemaster may make the same bend called something different and you can search by width, height, pullback etc.

Yeah Mike, that's where I'm at too. Not in a huge hurry, so hopefully Lowbrow will get them back soon.

The Jimbonaut said:
Yeah Mike, that's where I'm at too. Not in a huge hurry, so hopefully Lowbrow will get them back soon.
You're looking for Flanders handlebars. Much better quality bars than the EMGO and the bars EMGO is copying anyway.

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/ImportedMotorcycles/ImportHandlebars/ImportHandlebars78.html

Thanks for the link Irk - just had a look but will need a more thorough dig to see if they have the bar I want. They may be a little out of my budget too, damn.

I've run Emgo on 4 bikes and all were just fine. I have them on the GL currently. There are better bars out there but I can't afford them.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/zz50250/flanders-7-8-chrome-7-mini-ape-handlebar

These are the same?

If you have the widths (overall and center before rise), rise and pull back you can search for bars in 7/8" with the same or very close dimensions and probably find some

You can get them under $100 on Ebay. That link was just to show you options.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=flanders+euro+bars&_sacat=0

irk miller said:
You can get them under $100 on Ebay. That link was just to show you options.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=flanders+euro+bars&_sacat=0

Yeah, that's what I was thinking if you can get the dimensions of the "Western" you should be able to find something the same or close enough in another brand

I went to Emgo's site but they don't list the Western in their newest catalog so it might be discontinued or labeled different now

Got word the bars were back in stock, shnaffled some up in double-quick time. Been thinking about colour schemes for the engine too, as the PO painted it black I'm thinking a semi-gloss black, exposed fins with bare, polished side covers. Bit of a swerve as I was never crazy about black engines, but seeing it just now on the new Street Twin may have just changed all that.

Progress slow as molasses in, well, January. Cut into the frame to make space to weld in a nut for anchoring the K tank I'll be using - hoping to get the frame cleaned up, hoop bent and welded and get it to paint in the not-too distant. Just need to defrost my eyeballs first.

I've found that Amazon is a good place to search for bars and compare them. Have had good pricing there, too. The bars that I put on my '79 CB750F (Bikemaster 7/8" GP Touring bar) are the same as the ones I put on my '78 GL1000 (Bikemaster 7/8" European bars), except about 2" narrower and black. Honestly, narrower is so I can take the bike to the other side of the basement without taking it outside and back in like I have to do with the GL1000.

Semi gloss black with polished fins and covers is a nice combo. I've done it on 2 engines, Parallel twin and a V-4, the v4 was water cooled but had fake fins to look air cooled. (Honda Magna) easy part on that was the fins came off LOL. Made painting, sanding edges and polishing them way easier.

Maritime said:
Semi gloss black with polished fins and covers is a nice combo. I've done it on 2 engines, Parallel twin and a V-4, the v4 was water cooled but had fake fins to look air cooled. (Honda Magna) easy part on that was the fins came off LOL. Made painting, sanding edges and polishing them way easier.
Nice, you got any photos/links Mike?

The Jimbonaut said:
Nice, you got any photos/links Mike?

Let me look, I did a thread here but can't remember what I took pics of. One thing I did do that made it better was to flatten/square off the ends of the fins with a belt sander to make it easy to mask them with tape and a razor blade.

I tried doing the polished fins thing on the 360. I painted the whole head black and then tried to file it off after the fact. The paint chipped and I had to repaint. So I can recommend NOT doing it that way LOL.

Sanding them flat first and taping them up sounds like a better plan.

Nice, I've seen that build thread before Mike. Quite the looker, great job. Damn, that looks like a ton of work masking off the fins, more so as I'll be painting the engine in one big lump. I was planning on painting the engine and then sanding back the fins after. But the polished fins on your Magna look sweet, and I guess polishing them/masking them before paint is the only way to get that look.

Back
Top Bottom