1976 cb750k clutch reassembly problem. Please help.

Pgh76er

Oh no... Not again!
I'm putting a new clutch in my 1976 cb750k. I ordered all the parts from vintagecb750.com. 6 friction plates with small tabs. 1 friction plate with large tabs. 6 steel rings. 4 springs. 4 spring bolts. (Note: After removing the old components from the motor, I noticed that the new spings are shorter and made of thicker wire, but the overall diameter is the same.) I'm very certain that I put everything back together exactly as I took it out. I watched several videos before the operation, and assembled the new components as shown in the schematic in my shop manual. I torqued the lock nut to 33 ft lbs and the spring bolts to 6 ft lbs. After everything was back together, I started the bike up to test/ adjust the clutch cable and the bike acted like the clutch won't let the transmission engage. I can shift into gear and nothing happens. After disassembling/ reassembling about a dozen times, trying different torque settings on the spring bolts and trying the old springs, I get the same result every time. The clutch just won't release. Torquing the spring bolts to 6 ft lbs feels like I'm bottoming the springs out and I can't pull in the clutch lever. Loosening them, I can pull the lever, but still, no go.
I know that's a lot to digest, but does anybody have any suggestions?

76 uses longer springs. The basket is deeper than the earlier baskets. If the springs are short, it's probably because you have the earlier springs. Also, binding is caused by the pressure plate not being seated properly to the clutch center or the basket being 180° out on assembly.

Thanks for the info. Something else was brought to my attention as a possibility. Is there a chance that there is a spacer of some sort behind the clutch disc assembly that could have fallen under the basket?

Back
Top Bottom