Clubman Bars Vs. Clip on Bars

In the day - Ace bars [ "Clubmans" ?] were a quick fix - clip-ons for when you were serious.

Today - whatever floats your boat.

Its all up to you. If you look around theres a few threads about this topic. Like my man Beachcomber said, clubmans are easy, clip ons are for more race ready bikes generally. Clubmans are also cheaper. I prefer the cleaner look of clip ons personally, especially on smaller bikes.

beachcomber said:
In the day - Ace bars [ "Clubmans" ?] were a quick fix - clip-ons for when you were serious.

Today - whatever floats your boat.

I second that, if your 'playing', clubmans (were they called Ace bars after the cafe?)
If your serious, clip-on's down around bottom yoke ;)
It's how we could tell the 'racers' ;D

I think the term ACE came about from the Ace / Acme school of advertising - they were certainly around well before the Ace caff became well known. Before that Vincent or Norton "straights" were the option to clip-ons.

Seems a little crazy now, but in the day you literally had the bars banging against the bottom yoke - couldn't get any lower! Not so clever on full lock when you caught your thumb between the bars and the tank !!!!!

I just found some Ace Jnr bars in my garage [ not mine honest! ] I was looking out for our mate Erskine, and they are aesthetically not bad at all - still no substitute for clip-ons IMO.

Clubmans bars were invented for the ACU Clubmans racing class that specified bars must be mounted in the stock position - no clip ons. Some bright spark designed a set of bars that bolt in the stock mounts and has the bar parts where clip ons would go. Nice work around.

To me, clubmans bars usually look odd because they are either too wide or at the wrong angle to be a natural fit. Sometimes a builder gets lucky and the bars they buy actually work, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I like clip ons that are ahead of the forks and not sticking straight out. They should be just below the top triple clamp or up to 1 inch below that if the seat is low enough. Bars should angle back slightly for a natural comfortable fit and should angle down at 10-15 degrees (personal preferences there). They should be 3-4 inches above the seat height for comfort.

But that's just how I like them. I like to be comfortable because the more comfortable I am the smoother I ride and that is the way to go fast.

Watch any top level racer and they make it look easy. Years ago, I watched Mike Hailwood looking like he was for a Sunday afternoon ride as he ran away from the field of guys who looked like they were really trying hard.

And that takes us back to clip ons - I can adjust them much easier to make the bike work for me instead of me trying to adjust to the bike.

I'm a "less is more" clean lines kind of guy. For those reasons, and also because running Honda control wires through the clubman bend sucks, I prefer clip-ons.

What about flipped stock bars or flipped "tracker" style low rise bars, I have seen some of that but don't know if that is something that was done in the past.

grancuda said:
What about flipped stock bars or flipped "tracker" style low rise bars, I have seen some of that but don't know if that is something that was done in the past.

It seems like a lot of people must have flipped their stock bars upside down back in the day. "Work with what you've already got" comes to mind. Right now, I've got my stock bars flipped while I work on the rest of the bike and decide what to do. If I want clip-ons, I'll also have to get the clip-on type headlight brackets. I'm trying to spend as little money as possible and still have a decent (and street-legal) bike, so if it's cheaper to buy a set of clubmans than a set of clip-ons and brackets, I'll probably go with the clubmans.

It's rare for a pair of flipped bars to be even close to the right height and angles, which is why it's not done very often.

But clip ons are not the only choice. I like Tracker bars (moto X style) or so called Superbike bars on more modern bikes.

teazer said:
To me, clubmans bars usually look odd because they are either too wide or at the wrong angle to be a natural fit. Sometimes a builder gets lucky and the bars they buy actually work, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

I cut an inch (maybe inch and a half, don't remember now) off of either end of my clubmans, and it helps, but I think if I ever get the damn thing running and rideable again (don't ask), I'll take about another inch off 'em.

I've been stuggling with what to go with for my bike. My bike came with a set of clubman bars. I really like the looks of the clip on bars. Here is the thing; if I go with clip on bars, what do I do with the clamp for the regular bars? Keep in mind, I have no clue what I'm doing, and I've never done this before. I am thinking grind the clamps down?

03rangerxlt said:
I've been stuggling with what to go with for my bike. My bike came with a set of clubman bars. I really like the looks of the clip on bars. Here is the thing; if I go with clip on bars, what do I do with the clamp for the regular bars? Keep in mind, I have no clue what I'm doing, and I've never done this before. I am thinking grind the clamps down?
you just unbolt the bar risers and I think they make some plugs to fill them in with.

I've got clubmans myself, but I just replaced the fork uppers with some NOS ones so I'll likely be getting some purdy clipons sometime in the future

I'm ditching my tach and putting the idiot lights (neutral and signal) in the riser holes.

I just put drag bars on my bike (love 'em) and I think it would be hard to run the wires through the clubman's.

I like both for different reasons. I used to like clip-ons only but have now moved to liking clubmans on some applications. Seems to me a nice vintage look is made with the clubmans on some bikes that the clip-ons just does not offer. Like my current build, Caroline, I think the clubmans just seem to fit in nice with the factory gauges and headlight ears. However, for a race bike look or feel, it has to be clip-ons all the way!

I went with clubman bars because the price was right... FREE!
I might "upgrade" to clip-ons if I find a set I like at a price I can afford. Until then, the clubmans get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom