Real back in the day survivor

Dude, I love this bike. Did that sweet points cover come from an SOHC/4 guy? I know I've seen is somewhere.

You can pull the front sprocket cover, that leak is probably the output shaft seal. No chain oiler in there, at least not on mine...ymmv.

I like the clearcoat frame idea. If it was me, I'd pull it apart and clean it really well. Eastwood makes a nice single stage rattle can clear that is pretty gunk resistant.

That would be cool. What are you going to do with the seat? IMO I think it would look awesome with a sprung solo seat. Although, it is pretty badass as it is. I'd be afraid of cleaning it up too much, y'know? Going from looking like a old school survivor to a half finished kind of thing. Which is what I would probably end up with. ::)

Yes the cover came from a very active member on the sohc4 board.
He makes great stuff.
http://www.fb-stuff.com/fb-stuff-store.html

The clear coat was just the beginnings of an idea.
I don't want to loose the patina, but don't want it to rust bad.
Would also like to be able to clean the bike in some way.
Anyhow it's just kicking around my head.

Oil leak first.
I know the 750s have an oiler. This is my first 550.

yeah.... the cool thing about the chopper is it's a '70s time capsule... do too much and it will no longer be a "survivor" .

( ewe, clubmans :eek: )

Yep, fb-stuff...thanks for the refresh link. I'd seen it awhile back looking for sidecovers.

Bike had drags on it at some point.
Was unrideable for me.

A straighter bar without the risers might put the controls in the same spot.

You guys gotta quit with the clubman hate... Haha... He digs it AND lots of choppers in the way back ran them. No bullshit.

As far as the clearcoat idea, I think its rad. Won't stop shit from continuing to rust, but will keep it from happening quickly. All in all, this bike is 110% bitchin'.

aw, come on... I was going to compliment his work and conclude each "great job William" ... with an: ewe, clubmans ? , really ?

seriously tho, if they are soft and comfy, it's your bike :D

I'm a big boy, I can't handle someone not liking something.
The bars started as a joke, as so many people use clubmans wrong, we thought it would be funny if they worked on this bike. And they do.
It's a chopper so there are a million ways to do the same thing.
At first I thought that it was funny having risers just to use drop bars, but it has a good look in profile and gives a nice spot to mount the Nav and what not. Planing some trips for the fall, if the bike is done.....

How do you know my name is william?
Have I heckled you in person or do we know the same people?

surffly said:
How do you know my name is william?
Have I heckled you in person or do we know the same people?

We had exchanged messages a few times ( CBX stuff, swan necks etc ) but mostly by knowing the same folks from racing and vintage performance forums (and a select individual banned from DTT that would love to comment on the chopper, yet is prohibited from doing so ;D )

the clubmans do look good in profile, carry on sir !

have you checked the trail on that front end? If it feels good to ride then no worries. looking at it those rockers should be flipped around, looks like you have plenty of clearance. the springer arms should be running paralell with each other, not meeting at the end like that. at best youre killing the bushings in that springer, or is youve bent the front springer fork.

Again, the material I have seen from the manufacture shows the links installed this way.
Also he picture is with no weight on it.
Check back a page or two for the manufacture picture.
Nothing is bent.
I'm side the front end could use a service, but just as preventative maintaince

It's ok.
I'm no expert on this kind of thing.
I first thought it was wrong too, but I trust the manufacture picture and how it rides more then just "a look".
Also when I sit on the bike the front end links are more parallel, I need to get a picture of that to put everyone's minds at ease.
I would like to learn how to check the slide bushing and springs though.
It's no sport bike, but on the highway it's stable enough to take my hands off the bars.

Nothing like taking a month to take an engine cover off only to confirm that the seal you thought was bad was in fact bad.

null_zps31c3798a.jpg

null_zpsb9bf0148.jpg

So now to order some parts...
Figured I might as well rebuild the oil pump while I'm here.
What do I need?

Yep, defiantly needs sprockets too.
I need to figure out a gear ratio as well.
What's stock on a 550?

The stock was a 17t / 37t , here is the graph showing top speeds with various gearing options from http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Thanks for the gearing chart.
Will make ordering the parts much easier.

Got the chopper back to my garage finally.
Looks small even next to my 125
null_zps17957b4a.jpg

null_zps4d172d95.jpg

Tried to use my cb550 ard mounting plate to mount a magneto drive.
null_zps59776fe8.jpg

null_zps8c4b7af5.jpg

You can see that the mounting holes are drilled for a 550 and not a 750(top)

No cigar...
null_zps621fb5c9.jpg

null_zps21d66753.jpg

So now back on the hunt for some pictures to try and figure out what I'm missing.

Still have not sat down and found all the little orings and seals ill need to fix the oil leak.
Figured I would rebuild the oil pump too. Been to busy with school to do much wrenching.

Back
Top Bottom