re-doing the inside padding of a helmet

JESUS FREEK

Been Around the Block
I just bought a Griffin helmet prolly from the mid 70's. The exterior is Awesome,I couldnt believe it when I pulled it out of the box, the interior is missing ALL or the padding on top and around the crown/ forehead all around the helmet. The styrofoam is there. It does however still have the padding on both the ears. I really like the helmet, its white and it matches my bike, however I need it to be a little safer and more comfortable. Any suggestions and pics of what you have done. Padding Im not sure of, lining I was thinking of a bandana but not sure how to secure it all to the helmet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

I have a similar issue with a few vintage helmets. The factory helmet techs at the moto GP race informed me that it is a legal issue for the factory to help ( they won't do it ). I have called an upholstry guy and he is willing to take a look... Good luck w/it...

You can reline it to be more comfortable, but a vintage helmet can never be made "safe" again. If you like the look of a vintage 3/4 lid check out the new DOT Biltwells, or the Bell 500.

Dude awesome find, I started reading this thread looked at the clock and realized I gonna be late for work. Thankyou for posting this. It amazes me the talent that people have and are willing to share. For a garage hack and newb like myself. Priceless! Thanks Speed

VonYinzer I have seen the new Builtwells and the Bell 500, they are nice helmets dont get me wrong and I know they are safer, and if I cant get this too work it may be an option. I like old helmets,this one I couldnt pass up. thx bud

Oh I hear ya man. I wear a 1975 Buco when Im putting around town. Im the last guy to give anyone a hard time about what they choose to do. Just like to make sure everyone is aware of the decision they are making.

Yeah I don't get out much other than the two lane around town and the occasional Sunday jaunt. I have 2 vintage helmets one is a Hondaline from 75 and is intact inside and my newly aquired Griffin which needs work. If I were to go on a long ride I have a full face dual sport helmet.

Speed I read that thread all the way through. Thats a great find, and it looks as though I have yet another too do, to add to the list this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom