R U f'n kiddin me?...$405 1968 3/4 Bell on ebay

Frankenfe

Coast to Coast
I saw this on ebay, right size and I threw in a bid. Once I got out bid, I kept on my watch list for shiz & grins......OH MY GOD the thing is up to $405 and still has over 3 days left. AND it has had 5 different bidders since it hit $250.........Is this really what these things are worth? ??? has the Cafe Popularity really done this to Vintage Bell Brain Buckets?......If so forget reselling vintage parts I'm gonna start scouring the flea markets, Garage sales and CL for these thing$$$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320716395570

It has very little to do w cafe culture or whatever Cycle World calls it this month. Its the vintage chopper guys, and especially the European and Japanese guys. They cant get them there and have plenty of cash. Pay attention to anything pre 1980 that has an HD logo on it on EBay. The prices are fucking crazy. I saw a 70s era HD jacket (in good condition) go from an opening bid of $100 to nearle $1200 in two days. Winning bidder was from Norway. Kinda like how rare Japanese/European stuff goes for stupid money here. Once saw a Japanese Honda patch from the 1960s sell for $300+. A fucking patch.

DrJ & VonYinzer, Thanks for the replies. At first I just thought this was two rich guys in a pissing match over this helmet, until I saw there were 5 bidders active over $250. And the other true auctions with high price activity.

This is EXACTLY the kind of knowledge I like to have, Whenever possible I like to have my "Hobby" self subsidized. These old Bell Helmets are perfect:

*Likely to be sold be people who don't know thier value
*Have "silly" value and potential mark up
*Very likely to be seen as just old junk and sold cheap
*Good potential to be found at Garage Sales, Flea Markets, Estate sales (I live in a city next to one with lots of Grey Hairs who kick the bucket)

Reminds me of a time I bought a bunch of old Original "Redline" Hot Wheels for $2-$5 a piece, and sold them for around a $100 a piece.

My eyes are now trained.

Any old motorcycle gear that's made in USA is worth big bucks overseas. Actually, the prices of the Magnums have dropped considerably. I've seen bids on mint condition helmets surpassing $2000 a few years ago although it may have been a conspiracy to artificially inflate prices. Ironically, any Harley tanks with original AMF paint is highly collectible and expensive now. Also hot are vintage motocross helmets like Bell Motostars or Moto IIIs.

Also... Keep an eye out for any out for vintage racing boots. I picked up a pair of rad 70s era Alpinestar boots in near mint condition for $30 or $40 bucks a few years ago. I have never seen the same ones on EBay but similar pairs are going for $200 -$300 on overseas EBay sites.

Apparently these old “Genuine” Bell helmets are hot amongst the classic car guys too.

shitt... I could sell those, buy a newer, lighter, safer, more comfortable helmet, and still have cash left over for parts... Like you guys, my eyes are now trained to buy all that "junk" and sell it to people who have more cash then consideration.

sweet.

Back
Top Bottom