HF 40X48 trailer into a GoldWing hauler

pidjones

Over 1,000 Posts
Harbor Freight stopped selling all trailers (don't know if they will resume selling once their recalls are corrected or not), but I bought this one several years ago and it has been setting in boxes in a shed. Just bolted the frame together a couple nights back. Holding the wheels and axle off for a bit because it is a bit wide for where I've been working on it (already two GoldWings in there along with the wife's washer and dryer - I like clean clothes). Anyway, I want to use it for hauling my "project" GL1000 "the Hunley" to regional shows. Maybe even behind the GL1800? For a rail to put the bike on I've bought the HF 9" x 72" loading ramps. I will mount one ramp upside-down (sides up) with the two supplied end brackets bolted together and a short section of the other ramp as wheel stop. Should just fit. I'll use the rest of it for loading. May end up a piece of crap, but I wanted to try. everything seems to drop in place on it. I need to get some Unistrut to fill in above the tongue up to the ramp. Might find some at "work" (I'm working part-time for my past employer on a research project for a couple months).

I'll get up some photos soon to show progress.

First day was just assembling the frame in the garage, then storing it on its side. Next day it got wheels and a rail to hold the bike.
76bd55c18e4fa1f97f41366f020a3eb3.jpg

I'll be curious how this works out! I've been looking at one of these to pull behind my wife's equinox with the dr650 on it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Pretty hot out today. I did get out and mount the Hunley onto the trailer. Rode it right up. The trailer has fold-down side boards because I've seen way too many YouTube videos of guys dumping their bikes loading or unloading them. Still not happy with the strapping down plan I had. The ratchet straps I bought at Harbor Freight are crap - jambing every time. The high-strength cam buckle straps slip at every opportunity. I'm going to Tractor Supply for some SmartStraps. These seem like the best I've ever used.

Attachments

• WP_20180616_15_01_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180616_15_01_02_Pro.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 386
Good straps are a must, worth the investment. I like to spend time making it "just right" so that loading is easy, fast and safe. The key is setting everything up perfect for you and the bike, no good if after loading you can't reach the strap! Looks good in the pic

I've had HF trailer sitting around for a few years without doing anything,(unfinished, unregistered) what was recall about?

crazypj said:
I've had HF trailer sitting around for a few years without doing anything,(unfinished, unregistered) what was recall about?

The tires failed NHTSA standards for the load, so HF recalled the trailers altogether. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 119, "New Pneumatic Tires-Other than Passenger Cars." Anyone that already owns one should swap out tires.

irk miller said:
The tires failed NHTSA standards for the load, so HF recalled the trailers altogether. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 119, "New Pneumatic Tires-Other than Passenger Cars." Anyone that already owns one should swap out tires.
that and I had read something about the lights not being d.o.t. approved either.

Ive been hauling bikes for several years now over thousands of miles without incident.

This is what I like.
Bar harness...the "Originals", not the new and improved...the new ones destroy grips. I just used the new style to haul Rachels 400 and they cut through the grips. So back to using the good old Originals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GASYVG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tie downs...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRG2F1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a dodge ball. To cram between front fender and lower triple tree. To prevent blowing fork seals. these work fine for my smaller cc bikes, Goldwing may require something larger.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVW3ESH/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wheel chock...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JARCE0M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HF replaced my light with DOT approved LED units. The tires on mine were not on the recall, but those that were are replaced for free. HF just resumed selling the trailers again. I took the HF straps back and bought SmartStraps that I really like. So far, two trips and she has held in well. I can even load/unload by myself now.

pidjones said:
HF replaced my light with DOT approved LED units. The tires on mine were not on the recall, but those that were are replaced for free. HF just resumed selling the trailers again. I took the HF straps back and bought SmartStraps that I really like. So far, two trips and she has held in well. I can even load/unload by myself now.
what was the distance of the trips? I'm still thinking about getting one of these to pull behind the equinox to Georgia and back, about 600 miles one way

First was about 90 miles (180 total), second 20 (40 total). First included ~25 miles I-75 construction rough road @ 60-65mph there and back. Bike (~600+ lb GoldWing GL1000) rode steady the whole time. Won't say I didn't feel it back there as the tire pressure may still be a bit high and it causes a bit of bouncing (pulled behind a 2001 S-10 4x4 four door). If the Equinox is a V6 it should do fine. We have a 2.4liter 4 AWD and I wouldn't attempt it with that. BTW, a jackass pulled from a side road blocking the 2 lanes in my direction yesterday with a big long bed crew cab dually. I got on the binders hard enough to kick in the ABS (sucky on these trucks) and steered for what I hoped would be an opening in the other lane as he wandered into the median and I just slipped past his rear bumper. Bike and trailer didn't seem to notice, and didn't effect my maneuvering.

Yeah, ours is the 4 cyl front wheel drive, but does have the factory mounted 2"reciever. I'm thinking it has a 1000lb. towing capacity. The dr650 weighs a bit under 400lbs wet, and I'd guess the trailer would be under 200 lbs?

Must be under 200, even with the ramp added. I put an el-cheapo chock on the front and an angle set just behind the front wheel to give it a bump that holds it in the chock when I get off. The deck boards are at a width such that I can put the kick stand down and climb off easily, then tie it down. I also put the axles on top of the springs instead of under. This lowers the trailer making it easier for load/unload. Moved the tongue and mid rail forward one hole (of the pre-drilled, but I drilled a couple more) to make sure I had 60/40 weight distribution without moving the bike and rail too far forward. To find the center point of the bike, I put one of the ramps on a pipe and rolled the bike on it until it pivoted. Turn out that is right under the stock footpegs. The rails are the cheapest HF steel rails. I haven't done any welding on it yet, but might weld a few joints this fall. I bought the trailer in 2014 on sale, but don't remember what I paid. I think the rails were $59.99 with 20% off and the chock was $16 on Amazon. About $10 worth of bolts and around $16 for the 5/4 x 6" deck boards. BTW, I washed out the chicken fat from the wheel bearings and repacked them with grease I had around for a boat trailer. They run cool so far.

This is how I strap it now, with one more from a soft strap around lower triple/fork, under the frame and back to another soft strap around the other lower triple/fork joint.
05213f3a96a8a32f0a02daa0a4abdb80.jpg

I like it. This is more my speed. I would never have as much weight on one as you do with the GL, the KZ would probably be close though. My 4 cyl Tacoma shouldn't struggle too bad until I hit a nice hill...lol

It's pretty flexible as to the bikes you can carry. Besides four different GL1000s, it has carried '79 CB750F, a '76 RD400c, and right now I have a '72 Triumph T150V strapped to it.

I have one of these little trailers I set up for a small motorcycle, but will likely move the channel/wheel chock forward with some blocking under it to accommodate my DRZ. I have a 4x8 trailer as well but having a small dedicated motorcycle trailer is handy and it's small enough I can prop it up against the side of my garage in Toronto.

Just need to do some repairs to it - lighting and plate mount inboard so I can avoid damaging those bits.

Attachments

• IMG_20150414_144933439.jpg
    IMG_20150414_144933439.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20150415_122659241.jpg
    IMG_20150415_122659241.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 86
You will need to replace ALL of the HF wiring with a real trailer kit from your local parts store. Teir LED lighting is good, but their wires will rot off in a year. Also, get a bicycle flag and pole and figure a way to pop it on when no bike is on, because it is impossible to back without. Disappears it is so small.

Back
Top Bottom