Getting rid of the "triangle" side covers?

NoRiders said:
You'll have to almost replicate the factory side panels as the electrics usually stick out from the frame a bit, so a flat sheet will not cover very well. You'll end up fabricating a replica unless you move the electrics and reduce the bulge required.

I'm covering my electrics on my Honda CBX with a leather saddlebag on one side and a scrambler number roundel on the other.

Okay cool. I'll look into that. Work computer won't load pics so I'll check that out later

The cover on the left is just a glove box, just take it off and remove the plasic stuff, the one on the right has the battery and stuff, you could just put a number plate there, get some bolts and tubing that will fit over the bolt, then cut the tube to the length you need to hold the plate out so it doesn't rub, if you don't really make a habit of riding in the wet it's not as much a problem of getting the stuff wet, you could cut a strip of dense foam and wrap it and cut it to fit between to know out any real stream of water.

Also just drop the bottom of the carbs, spray inside with carb cleaner, careful not to bend the float, sometimes you don't need to pull the jets, you can blow them out if you get it running rough, rev it up, cover the intake with hand till it almost quits, then repeat on each carb, causes a back flow and clears them. You can remove the hose from the tank to carbs, spray some cleaner in there too, also pull the tank and give that a good cleaning so you don't put more bad junk in there.

Re: Getting rid of the "triangle" side covers?

I swapped my KZ's side covers for number plates. Needed to move a couple things around on the left side, there's a few points on/near the battery box where you can bolt things to relocate them. Make sure your regulator/rectifier still has enough airflow over the heat sink.
56bac350d4b9e37662e807c321163045.jpg

Here's where I list all my bikes:
'71 Kaw 250 Bison
'81 KZ750 cafe
'94 XR250L
2014 Yamaha Bolt

In progress: '68 CL350

runmikeyrun said:
I swapped my KZ's side covers for number plates. Needed to move a couple things around on the left side, there's a few points on/near the battery box where you can bolt things to relocate them. Make sure your regulator/rectifier still has enough airflow over the heat sink.
56bac350d4b9e37662e807c321163045.jpg

'71 Kaw 250 Bison
'81 KZ750 cafe
'94 XR250L
2014 Yamaha Bolt

Love the KZ build man! I rarely see them.

Could you tell me where you got that seat and those tail lights/license plate frame from? I'm having a hard time finding either.

thefish said:
Love the KZ build man! I rarely see them.

Could you tell me where you got that seat and those tail lights/license plate frame from? I'm having a hard time finding either.
Thanks buddy!

I made the plate frame from some scrap diamond plate, which I bolted to the subframe since it had threads tapped in the end of the rails.

The seat was on the bike when I bought it, it's a stock seat pan but not for this bike. I plan on reshaping it over the winter since I don't take passengers and it's too square for the bike's curves (see photo below). The bottom of the pan does not line up with the bottom of the tank either.

You can't see the tail light from that picture, maybe you are referring to the turn signals? They are Lockhart racing brand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262040732086

Here's the back end, the tail light is a cat eye that I plastidipped black and added a blue dot. The whale tail is not stock for this bike, it had a square cowl.

eecdf486fc3dd95e1068abfeb47ebaec.jpg

Hope that helps :)

'71 Kaw 250 Bison
'81 KZ750 cafe
'94 XR250L
2014 Yamaha Bolt

Back
Top Bottom