building a better bol d'or - a n d DONE!

Re: building a better bol d'or (super sport for you north americans ;-) )

I'll be hones Ian, I haven't checked this one lately. But it's coming along nicely. Think you'll get to ride it much before the end of the season?

Big Rich said:
I'll be hones Ian, I haven't checked this one lately. But it's coming along nicely. Think you'll get to ride it much before the end of the season?

Yeah, I think I'm nearly there Rich. Just need to sort out my Mikunis and get a few more engine covers powedered. That's about it?

As for riding season? All year round mate ;)

cheers
ian

So...I'll carry on as if my last post was just last week ;D

Got most of the powder-coating done now. For some reason, I'd forgotten about the clutch cover, some I'll drop that off too.

mostPowderBack.jpg

Meanwhile, I've pulled the thing apart again because since painting it, I've added a couple of mounts for the rear fender I made, and also did some similar work on the swing-arm. Rather than touch it up, I re-did the two pieces.

repaint.jpg

Work continues in the background on adapting the Mikuni's to play nicely. It seems the set I have has some 'issues', so the seller is sending another 2 sets he has lying around to make good. I'm happy with that, but it's been a bit of a long haul :(

I should also draw your attention to the obligatory "Do The Ton regulation SOL box" adapted as a temporary fuel supply mount ;)

To to far away (hopefully) kiddies.

cheers
ian

Re: building a better bol d'or - got carbs?

Good news-bad news. I finally got the replacement carbs that have bee holding me up. The bad news is they're gonna need a lot of work to get thm clean.

This is what I'm up against. The outside of both sets has been painted, and that needs to come off. Luckily the bead blasting makes short work of that.

carbs.jpg

Inside is a whole different story :mad:

What the hell do you guys put in your petrol to cause this shit to happen??

jet.jpg

... and it stinks! Like a real stinky-thing!

Anyway, not sure what I'll use to clean them up. The spray carb-cleaner barely shifts it, and our petrol doesn't seem to disolve much of it either. I've left one soaking overnight, and I'll have a look when I get home tonight, bit I'm in for some long smelly hours I think. I hear a look of guys talking about pine-sol, but we don't get that here. Any Aussie out there with experience shifting this crap?

carbSoak.jpg

cheers
ian

Yamaha make a carb cleaning dip that I've heard people rave about. Not sure if you can get it here in Oz - speak to a Yamaha dealer and ask them, I guess ??

hillsy said:
Yamaha make a carb cleaning dip that I've heard people rave about. Not sure if you can get it here in Oz - speak to a Yamaha dealer and ask them, I guess ??

thanks hillsy. There's one just up the street, so I'll give 'em a try.

Sure is some nasty shit 'tho.

cheers mate
ian

Looks something like this apparently:

CarbDip.jpg

I found more references to using it with Yamaha golf carts than bikes, so maybe it's not a bike specific product?

hmm. I just went up to Peter Stevens, and they said its been discontinued (according to their catalogue) :-\

Only have the aerosol version, and while that would eventuall work I guess, I wouldn't be able to soak them.

I'll keep looking I guess. Might try Repco, 'coz I know Supercrap won't have any ;)

thanks mate
ian

*** just found it online ;) ***

fark me! I just ordered another valve cover gasket from Honda because I haven't had a lot of success with aftermarket versions. $66 thank you very much! Holy shit batman.

Re: building a better bol d'or

So, for shits and giggles, I got me a zinc-plating kit :D

platingBath.jpg

I think I'm going to get a fair bit of use out of it too. I'm sick of getting stuff back only to find some of it missing. It's only for the zinc stuff, because its fairly easy to get good results. Nickel and chrome is a bit less tolerant.

I'm happy with the initial results, which I suspect will get better with practice.

zinced.jpg

Best thing is the convenience.

cheers
ian

Bike Boy, just finished reading your entire thread.........I'm blown away! Your work is just plain awesome........very original and creative without being over the top. Vintage Bol' d Or racers have long been some of my favorite bikes....you really nailed the modern update idea!

Hopefully, I'm picking up a beautiful CB1100F this weekend. I firmly agree with you......just a modern restoration.....nothing that cannot easily be returned to stock. You are right....there are too few of those beautiful bikes left around!

I don't know about the rest of you guys that have been following this build, but it seems to me that we have a definite future BOTM nominee here...........if Bike Boy will agree?????

Keep us posted as you finish up, please!

JS

jackstraw650 said:
Bike Boy, just finished reading your entire thread.........I'm blown away! Your work is just plain awesome........very original and creative without being over the top. Vintage Bol' d Or racers have long been some of my favorite bikes....you really nailed the modern update idea!

Thanks. Glad you're getting something out of it.

Hopefully, I'm picking up a beautiful CB1100F this weekend. I firmly agree with you......just a modern restoration.....nothing that cannot easily be returned to stock. You are right....there are too few of those beautiful bikes left around!

Nice score there. I also have an 11 that will going back to stock. Once I finish this baby off ::)

I don't know about the rest of you guys that have been following this build, but it seems to me that we have a definite future BOTM nominee here...........if Bike Boy will agree? ??? ?

Well, let's cross that bridge when we get to it. I'm not sure it's appropriate for a (primarily) cafe site - and I'm OK with that.

Keep us posted as you finish up, please!

JS

sure will. Getting closer to sorting the carbs out. Have them fitted to the 'mule', did a quick balance and they seem to running fine. Just need to road-test her to verify, then it's pull the motor, clean it up, paint the cases, put the new powdercoating on and install. Then final assembly. Doesn't sound much when I say it like that ;D

cheers
ian

Bike boy, There is no restriction to cafe racers on the BOTM vote. It is open to any of the bikes on the Forum and other style bikes than the cafes frequently win. I think you will find that most of the members on the Forum appreciate good ideas and craftsmanship no matter what the style! I hope you go for it when you finish.

JS

JS, just make sure you nominate and I'll second! Love this build

Maritime

Ian, not only is your bike a work of art, but it's as least as much a cafe racer as many on here and one of teh few that could do a ton easily (metric or imperial).

Wasn't the back road through Lara used in the original Mad Max movie? I haven't driven through there in decades on the way to the YouYangs when we lived in Geelong.

are, you're an old boy then ;)

Yeah, the road between Lara and Little River was where the toe-cutter slammed into the front of the truck over the rise ;)

toe cutter's hill

I still picture that every time we go out to sister-in-law's place.

thanks mate.
ian

No worries mate. Used to drive the back roads to Broadmeadows when I worked for Henry. Great roads to wind a car or truck wide open just 'coz you can.

Back
Top Bottom