building a better bol d'or - a n d DONE!

Re: building a better bol d'or (super sport for you north americans ;-) )

Digging it so far dude, I really like that chain guard, may have to rip it off.

pablohoney said:
Digging it so far dude, I really like that chain guard, may have to rip it off.

rip away my friend. It was based on something I saw anyway, so no intellectual property issues here ;D

ian

Re: building a better bol d'or - transplant time

Well, it's time to pull the donor motor out for preparation. The 900s have a removable frame section that lets you pull the motor out sideways. To make this a 1-man show, I made a little cradle for my trolley jack to balance the motor while I wheel it out. Fortunately I had another motor I could measure and estimate the centre of balance. In the end it worked out pretty good, with the centre being pretty much directly under the crank.

Here's the set-up ready to go

cradle.jpg

Not in, and not out, but so nicely balanced, I had time to take a pic ;)

inOut.jpg

Gee, it doesn't look this wide when you're sitting on it!

wideness.jpg

Now I have to wait for my son to come around and give me a hand putting it in to my engine stand, where I can work on getting it ready for paint.

Not long to go now kiddies ::)

ian

You want some fun? Try taking the top end and jugs off then loading the bottom end in the back seat of a 97 Mustang... Then get it out! (all by yourself)

Garage Rat said:
Try taking the top end and jugs off then loading the bottom end in the back seat of a 97 Mustang... Then get it out!

Oh yeah, I've done that before too - apart from the mustang bit ;) Most of the weight is in the crank, so if I can pull that out as part of the rebuild it helps a bit.

There's something to be said for working on small twins.

ian

Looks great so far... keep up the great work

Well, we move a step closer.

Managed to clean it all up and cover it with new paint:

paint03.jpg

paint02.jpg

nearly ready to install.

ian

Goooooooooo man, GO!
-KR

Re: building a better bol d'or

Well. I got one of those 30 day old post warnings. Sorry guys. Here's a couple of engine mounting pics. I'm sneaking up on this thing at the moment, but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

installed.jpg

Obligatory frame-protectors. This is my new 'preferred method' of installing motors now. Just so much easier.

On her wheels, and on the lift. Things just get bolted on from now on.

assembled.jpg

After all the work cutting and filing on the countershaft cover, I'm thinking I might leave it off now to expose the sprocket/chain/guard.

I have a couple of small clips for the front brake lines to source, and the healight mounts I have are really bulky at the back and interfere slightly with tank on full lock. I want to replace them with thinner versions.

thanks for being so patient.

cheers
ian

You could make some using some tubing (or old clipons) and weld some bracksets on to them.

Garage Rat said:
You could make some using some tubing (or old clipons) and weld some bracksets on to them.

I think that might be beyond my skill-set. I've seen some nice cast items, but none in the 45mm size I need yet.

ian

Re: building a better bol d'or - getting close now

It wouldent cost too much to have someone lay 4" of tig weld, I'm sure if you look around, you can find some 45mm ID tubing.

I had the clip-ons hitting the tank on my GS, so I welded a piece of metal to the steering stops to reduce the bars' travel.

I know it reduces the turning circle, but really, it's not noticeable except when you're trying to turn the bike around in the garage ;)

hillsy said:
I had the clip-ons hitting the tank on my GS, so I welded a piece of metal to the steering stops to reduce the bars' travel.

I know it reduces the turning circle, but really, it's not noticeable except when you're trying to turn the bike around in the garage ;)

Yeah, I had to rebuild the steering stops on this frame when I did the fork-swap, and I had it all sussed with just enough clearance for the tank. Of course, I did all this before I had the headlight mounts :'(

You're right tho, I could ride it like this, but I'd always be worried about forgetting about it and ding my freshly-painted tank. ::)

Well guys. Having succumbed to the great Aussie tradition of chucking a sickie, I've had her out, and for now I'm calling her DONE!

Had a bit of a blast on the nicest first day of winter I can remember. Sunny and 19. No wind. Did about 40kms just to suss things out, and there doesn't appear to be any major issues. Everything works as it should (although I still haven't replaced the headlight ears - so I need to be wary of the steering lock issue). Suspension is great. It turns in really quick, which almost caught me out a couple of times. Front brakes are awesome! The pods suck bad. The lack of grunt is really noticable. One day I'll replace the carbs, but for now they do.

Any way, enjoy some pics:

done.jpg

skater.jpg

shell2.jpg

shell.jpg

avalon.jpg

avalon2.jpg

The Place for Pace (apparently)-as long as you don't exceed 10kph ;-)

and finally some video. Ignore the clutch rattle, it's not as bad as it sounds on my crappy still camera:

Static and Dynamic tests

Thanks for following. I've got a lot out of the opinions and suggestions from you guys, so I hope you've had some entertainment from this build.

A couple of things to do before she's my daily rider, but I'm already looking longingly at the 400F sitting in the corner gathering dust ::)

cheers guys
ian

Great work ian, it is a stunning machine and looks so clean. It almost looks like Honda built a new "throw-back" model! Very nice and I am glad to see you got her back on the road! Enjoy it!

Garage Rat said:
Nice! Im gettin back on mine a little more now. This summer?

Remember he's in OZ and everything is backwards to us, winter-summer, toilets flush swirling the wrong way ;D Love the bike. I want one just like it someday soon. Have to keep my eyes open for one.

Back
Top Bottom