putting gsxr rearsets on a 75 cb550

drackett_19

Hey folks, I just bought some rearsets from an '04 gsxr 600 ;D. I am planning to weld up some mounts and put them on my 75 cb550k. I haven't done this before so any tips or pictures from someone thats done this with a CB would be a big help.

Thanks!

So i've been reading some more and it sounds like some people are using exhaust clamps to hold the rear sets in place on the frame. where would I find something like that? anybody have any pics of this setup?

thanks alot for any info.

Exhaust clamps are probably too large but there frame clamps available.

Ask these guys, they like using GSXR rearsets on old Hondas:

http://www.OHIOCAFERACERS.com/

I have Gixxer 750 rearsets & master cylinders ready to go on my cb750f with small exhaust clamps.
Since my bike is an F-model and has rear discs it will be an easy bolt on. (too lazy to do...)

However, since your cb550 has a drum rear set up, have you figured out how you are gonna make the rearset work with the back drum?.. I think that would be you bigger problem to solve rather than frame/exhaust clamps...(Hell you could even just bolt it on to the rear passenger peg if you want...

The Gixxer left side is designed to work with a MC and therefore the brake lever creates a has a verticle motion, (to push the MC plunger), rather than a horizontal (pull), motion that you need to horizontally pull the brake rod..

Im curious to know how this can be solved, since I want the option to put my Gixxer the rearsets on to either my cb750f or my cb550f...

Thanks alot for the tip Dr.J, after looking at that website, I think i'm gonna find some of those frame clamps too. They look good and then I can slide them if I want to adjust where the rearsets are located.

I found these at JP cycle that look like they might work : http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=BFE7A495-6D65-4619-9570-B7C67EFA65E4

However, since your cb550 has a drum rear set up, have you figured out how you are gonna make the rearset work with the back drum?.. I think that would be you bigger problem to solve rather than frame/exhaust clamps...(Hell you could even just bolt it on to the rear passenger peg if you want...

yeah, i was wondering about this too ???. My rearsets haven't shown up yet, so I haven't had a chance to examine how the leverage works. I am hoping I can weld or bolt on a small lever that will make it pull the rod to work with the drum brake... but this is all new to me so it could be a gong show at first. ;D

i'll be sure to post up pics as it comes along.

Here is a picture of how the brake side rear-set works.

RearBrk1-150.jpg

Are you getting the stock GSXR brackets with yours?
Here are the '04 GSXR600 reasets on my KZ, although the KZ has a Disk brake:

rightrearset2.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

If and when you need to shorten the gear shift linkage, the two ends are threaded differently. One is a standard right hand thread, the other end is a reverse, left hand thread. Make sure you cut short the standard right hand thread as finding a tap to re-tap the rod will be easy.

Hey thanks Druno, that pic will be a big help when I start messing with the connector rods and stuff. Did you have to do any custom work to the rearset? or will it work as it is?

Are you getting the stock GSXR brackets with yours?

Yeah I'll be getting the same setup you have on your bike, with the mounting brackets and stuff. That turned out real nice on your KZ, thats a sweet bike.

Back
Top Bottom