Different Linkage Idea

oldog

Been Around the Block
I see that many people connect their brake pedal direct to the brake lever on the hub (via a long linkage). Here's an alternate way of doing it. I rigged this method last year so I had the whole season to test it. Works very well.
e_4.jpg

i_clip.gif

Yep - that's the way mine will be too - on my XS650. One major advantage is it allows you to use the stock brake light switch.

One of the major obstacles for most people is the piece that goes on the brake spindle. Can't buy them anywhere, so unless you've got the tools to modify a stock brake pedal, it's tough.

That being said, yours doesn't look like a modified brake pedal - it looks too nice to be that. Tell us the secret!

Oh, and nice animation!

Tintin said:
That being said, yours doesn't look like a modified brake pedal - it looks too nice to be that. Tell us the secret!

It is a modified pedal. I cut off the original lever, fabricated the linkage tab, welded the 2 together and reshaped the part to hide the weld. It really wasn't to hard to do and with limited tools...Welder of course.
Another thing...I have a simple DIY zinc plating setup for replating small reworked parts such as this one. It polishes up quite nicely and keeps any rust off. A poor man's chrome!

Made one myself out of Alum. Works pretty good and just needed a grinder and cutoff wheel, drill press and dremel. Took a long time, but really, it was pretty simple. Didn't have many choices with the way the back plate is. Tried fitting the end off of one of my brake pedals, but just couldnt get it to fit well enough. Just pounded the part onto the spline, which kinda marked them, and filed a little after where each spline was and it clamps down pretty well. I liked this option better than the newer style Nissin MCs that everyone seems to be using. Keeps a bit more of a vintage feel I think.

oldog said:

Thats awesome... Where did you get that brake actuator? or did you just cut, drill and shape the base for the OEM brake pedal?

oldog said:
It is a modified pedal. I cut off the original lever, fabricated the linkage tab, welded the 2 together and reshaped the part to hide the weld. It really wasn't to hard to do and with limited tools...Welder of course.
Another thing...I have a simple DIY zinc plating setup for replating small reworked parts such as this one. It polishes up quite nicely and keeps any rust off. A poor man's chrome!

noel - read the posts man!

Back
Top Bottom